Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691
|
Unanimous means everyone voted for. 5-4 is not a unanimous decision. It is however a decision, closer than I thought it would be, but on the side I figured would happen.
I dunno, I don't frequent downtown that often but I remember 10 years ago it was insanity and a few times getting stuck spending 1 hour just trying to go 3 blocks around St. Pauls. Today I actually find traffic fine with the exception of a few bad spots so the fact stats seem to show a reduction in car traffic and congestion to me at least in my own experience seems to hold true.
We have to remember that downtown Vancouver used to be _THE_ destination to go to for everyone. Now with the region spreading out and new centers forming in the many suburbs, less people in the suburbs where MOST people in metro-Vancouver live, have to go anywhere near downtown.
You've also had a migration of a lot of car-based jobs and a refocus on transit oriented development and people that gravitate to that way of life. So I still don't think this will be as insane as some think.
I dunno I still have the opinion that through all of Vancouver the biggest cause of traffic is a general lack of left turn lanes and just the huge number of pedestrians running across red lights or red flashing hands. Maybe Vancouver needs to seriously consider some scramble intersections and/or banning left turns 24/7 on some of the major roads.
Also parking on main roads. 🞵🞵🞵 is that. That causes a lot of traffic too. The viaducts are so short I don't think they reduce traffic as much as people think.

looks like they are coming down either way. Going to definitely make things interesting in that area.
A side note though I like how Vancouver Council can say they have _NO_ money to increase the amount of garbage cans downtown and in Vancouver to reduce the trash on the streets, yet they can pull out $200 million for this. Makes you wonder.