HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Kind of like a one-stop-shop for the hipsters between the 3 trendy clothing shops and Verizon
There's almost nothing hipster about any of those chains, except maybe a little bit of Topshop. A real hipster wouldn't go to these places or their clothing any second of their lives.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 1:16 AM

Anyone know if anything is going up on the empty lott at Grand and Lasalle. It's all fenced off and looks like some excavation going on

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
That poor Columbia store must feel so lame.
They probably are laughing about the great lease they got before GGP signed all those other pricey tenants. After looking at this building again, I guess there is some semblance of facade harmony with zones of black and white facades wrapping each other. Once the glass facade of H&M is revealed it should look a bit more composed.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 2:31 AM

I am all for covering those blank walls with these gimmicky ad walls and light up facades near the Watertower. Honestly It would be nice if Chicago has a "times square" of sorts in this area. i recently visited Cincinnati and stayed in a hotel looking over fountain square, and let me say it is a cool vibe to have the light effects on a building boarding the plaza, a megatron running, and live music in restaurants nearby. yes extremely gimmicky but its a fun place. now this needs to happen to the base of Water tower place just across the street

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
I am all for covering those blank walls with these gimmicky ad walls and light up facades near the Watertower. Honestly It would be nice if Chicago has a "times square" of sorts in this area. i recently visited Cincinnati and stayed in a hotel looking over fountain square, and let me say it is a cool vibe to have the light effects on a building boarding the plaza, a megatron running, and live music in restaurants nearby. yes extremely gimmicky but its a fun place. now this needs to happen to the base of Water tower place just across the street
Been hoping that for years, hate looking at that blank concrete box

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Anyone know if anything is going up on the empty lott at Grand and Lasalle. It's all fenced off and looks like some excavation going on
That lot has been fenced off for years.

IIRC there was a 1 story fast food type joint that was supposed to go there at one point.

Was there any equipment on site?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:29 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I lose track of all the River North surface lots/proposed development sites all too easily. There was also a block on the west side of LaSalle that was slated for a retail development of around 4 stories in its first phase, and then was planned to be joined later by a residential tower (there was a rendering of it maybe 2-3 years ago) in the 30-story range....that's not this block, is it? It might be a bit further south, but just can't quite exactly place it......

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ I lose track of all the River North surface lots/proposed development sites all too easily. There was also a block on the west side of LaSalle that was slated for a retail development of around 4 stories in its first phase, and then was planned to be joined later by a residential tower (there was a rendering of it maybe 2-3 years ago) in the 30-story range....that's not this block, is it? It might be a bit further south, but just can't quite exactly place it......
That is further south (LaSalle/Illinois). The plot in question was supposed to have a one-story drive-through juice place. I couldn't find any permits for the site, so I have no idea what's going up there, if anything. They may just be preparing the soil to be paved for a surface lot.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:22 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Oh, got it - thanks......

And, yikes (one story drive through juice).....River North.....2 steps forward, 1 step back (if that is still the plan for site)...............................still, better than the old 1 step forward, 2 steps back.....

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Times Square is terrible - really terrible. However, if you're talking about a more "engaging" area then I agree. Tourists eat up stuff like Times Square when in fact it's just a bunch of lights and a bunch of stores you can find in a mall in Iowa, like Lids and Sephora. But please, no Times Square.

The one thing though I wish Chicago did more of or had more was live theaters off Michigan Ave.. There's a few not far away but it would be amazing to see more.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 6:01 PM

Quote:
We already have a bright flashing cash wringing machine. It's called Navy Pier.

Let the rest of the city maintain at least some semblance of dignity.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 6:25 PM

Does look great.

re: times square look. I walked through there today. H&M has a building-size ad on their front right next door right now. Looks kind of cool and suggests this kind of feel being discussed here without being ridiculous.

I can see this area taking on more large-scale advertising without losing it's cachet

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's almost nothing hipster about any of those chains, except maybe a little bit of Topshop. A real hipster wouldn't go to these places or their clothing any second of their lives.
yea i dont really understand that comment. H&M/UNIQLO is about as "hipster" as the Gap.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Oct 26, 2015 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:01 PM

which is just another example of "hipster" now meaning "anyone under the age of 40 who lives in a city"

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yea i dont really understand that comment. H&M/UNIQLO is about as "hipster" as the Gap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
which is just another example of "hipster" now meaning "anyone under the age of 40 who lives in a city"
Yep! It goes along with not knowing what an actual hipster is and probably not truly knowing what something like Uniqlo makes. I'm wearing a Uniqlo sweatshirt right now (No, I got it months ago in NYC). It's nowhere even close to hipster - They pretty much have nothing there that is hipster, unless you want to consider their different color socks or a denim button up shirt as such. Otherwise, LOL @the hipster comment. Real hipsters wouldn't be shopping downtown anyway. They'd be in other areas.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:15 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Yep! It goes along with not knowing what an actual hipster is and probably not truly knowing what something like Uniqlo makes. I'm wearing a Uniqlo sweatshirt right now (No, I got it months ago in NYC). It's nowhere even close to hipster - They pretty much have nothing there that is hipster, unless you want to consider their different color socks or a denim button up shirt as such. Otherwise, LOL @the hipster comment. Real hipsters wouldn't be shopping downtown anyway. They'd be in other areas.
It's a good example of the difference between being hip and being a hipster.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 11:24 PM
dream fast

File this topic under the hipster thread.

A hipster is relative to many variables. Seinfeld's Kramer was referred to as a 'stupid hipster dufus'...

'The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses.'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
The one thing though I wish Chicago did more of or had more was live theaters off Michigan Ave.. There's a few not far away but it would be amazing to see more.
There are a number of performance venues on or w/in a block of Michigan (e.g., Blackstone, the theaters in the Fine Arts building, Harris, Lookinglass/Water Tower, Auditorium, Symphony Hall, Drury Lane - or whatever that is called these days), but they may not all have large, bright marquees, if that is what you are envisioning.
Though, IMO, there are already more than enough destinations packed near Michigan. Chicago isn't Podunk where every attraction is found on Main Street. I expect attractions in major cities like Chicago to be well distributed.

Last edited by VKChaz; Oct 27, 2015 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Times Square is terrible - really terrible. However, if you're talking about a more "engaging" area then I agree.
Yea sorry, engaging is a better word for it. Times square is obnoxious

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:11 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
I don't think Michigan Avenue would be an appropriate location though. I would actually like to see the area near Rock and Roll McDonalds be redeveloped into a "Time Square".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development