Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6
In my opinion it is important to save every old building, with only the odd exception (into which class the Fortune Block certainly doesn't fall). I can't think of many examples of demolitions that haven't made things worse, from the loss of the beautiful Childs and Nanton buildings for the unneeded TD Centre to the destruction of the McIntyre Block for a temporary parking lot that's now coming up to its 40th birthday. I understand your point, but let's not knock more things down before we know for sure that there is absolutely no option.
|
Well, speaking of the Child's and Nanton Bldgs, I'm touching a piece of it's terra cotta right now and actually have the capitals of the Nanton in the basement of one of my buildings! The marble bathroom stalls from the Child's I had made into a beautiful table for my board room...
I forgot all about that!
It's very easy for others to tell people to spend money they may not have to fix a building they cannot rent. That's the case for the Fortune bldg. The owner I'm sure will be happy to sell it to anyone of you who may wish to renovate it. Sadly there have been no takers for over twenty years.
As I have said before, rules must be consistent and transparent to stimulate new developments in the city. I see everyday optimistic businesses crushed by the amount of time it takes to get a building permit and the heavy handed approach by the building and planning department....
Insist on a development agreement prior to any demo permit, post a large bond and under no circumstances allow more "temporary" surface parking, no sob stories, no exceptions.
There are still lots of great heritage buildings for you to spend your nest egg or pension on. Let me know your budget and I'm sure we could close one for you in 30 days!
Thanks for your ongoing interest in Winnipeg's architectural past but let's find a way towards a great architectural future.