HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #201  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:23 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Notice of a Public Hearing [PDF] for the Leland James Center renovation.

Notice of a Public Hearing [PDF] for Blocks 294E and 295E.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #202  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 7:44 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Conway Blocks 294E and 295E drawings [PDF - 300MB].

EDIT - I am having trouble opening the file. Coming through as corrupt.
EDIT #2 - worked for me at home for some reason.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 7, 2015 at 2:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #203  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:30 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Conway Blocks 294E and 295E drawings [PDF - 300MB].

EDIT - I am having trouble opening the file. Coming through as corrupt.
EDIT #2 - worked for me at home for some reason.
And Staff Report [PDF] that recommends approval.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #204  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:34 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Drawings [PDF - 25 MB] and Staff Report [PDF] for the Leland James Center renovation. Staff report recommends approval.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #205  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 6:55 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Conway Blocks 294E and 295E

















__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #206  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 11:35 PM
QAtheSky QAtheSky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 104
I like the way the massing has turned out for all of the announced projects so far. In the prior renderings I wasn't sure if the color/material changes would be enough to break up the single 6 story block, but placed in context I think the effect actually works nicely.

The streetscaping also looks nice, though I kinda wish I could see a little more space set aside for bike infrastructure... but then I know thats not the purview of these renderings.

I also notice that brick seems to the material du jour for Conway so far, and honestly I quite like that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #207  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 1:24 AM
CouvScott CouvScott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Posts: 1,109
I love seeing my place of business in the shadows of a new mid-rise project. But sadly, I'm sure we will end up moving out of this area as it will become unfit for our type of business.
__________________
A mind that is expanded by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #208  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 5:27 AM
TowerPower TowerPower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 110
GBD really needs to abandon the high contrast brick blends. They look terrible (see Hassalo on 8th). Something subtler would hold together much better.
__________________
Goodbye
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #209  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 9:24 PM
Abide's Avatar
Abide Abide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower View Post
GBD really needs to abandon the high contrast brick blends. They look terrible (see Hassalo on 8th). Something subtler would hold together much better.
I love the look. I'm a big fan of how Hassalo looks too. Portland is far too subtle too often.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #210  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 10:48 PM
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,388
I absolutely love the colors and I think this is fantastic infill. Portland has enough grey and black and dark brown buildings. Some color is welcome.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #211  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 11:33 PM
TowerPower TowerPower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I absolutely love the colors and I think this is fantastic infill. Portland has enough grey and black and dark brown buildings. Some color is welcome.
It's not the colors or the design that bother me - I like both - it's the particular blend of brick, with shades that are highly contrasting. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but to me it's too distracting and takes away from the design of the building as a whole. It almost looks like the building has some sort of skin disease. See here https://www.google.com/maps/@45.531103,-...HqckFCBiTgRUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
__________________
Goodbye

Last edited by TowerPower; Oct 16, 2015 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #212  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 3:43 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
Looking good, I am really loving this new district. It would be interesting to see how nice those views would be from the top of that mid rise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #213  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 3:54 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
I'm torn on the Elwood at Hassalo. I think the south side with the sunshades is fantastic. Where it falls down is there north side, where the variegated brick is providing all the visual interest. At Conway the brick is providing less of the heavy lifting, because it has balconies all around.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #214  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 5:28 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Design Commission approved the Leland James Center renovation on Thursday. Blocks 294E and 295E weren't approved yet.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #215  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:07 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Revised drawings [PDF - 280 MB] for Conway Blocks 294E and 295E. Mostly minor revisions.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #216  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 8:24 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Hard to tell what, if any, effect this will on the Conway masterplan area.

Quote:
Con-way's new corporate parent lays off 101 employees in Portland



XPO Logistics Inc., the Connecticut firm that recently acquired freight company Con-way Inc., laid off 101 of the 872 employees at the Con-way site in Portland on Friday.

The Con-way name has also been retired as of Monday, said Gary Frantz, director of corporate communications at XPO Logistics.

"When we announced our agreement to purchase Con-way, we said that we would eliminate some positions. ... We've provided those individuals with transition support, including outplacement services," said Bradley Jacobs, chief executive of XPO Logistics, in an emailed statement. "Driver jobs are not affected."

The layoffs hit all departments, Frantz said, but the majority were in human resources, finance, accounting and information technology.
...continues at the Oregonian.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #217  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 8:43 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
That is a shame, so should we start calling this area the XPO Logistics District? Just kidding, I know it is the Stumptown District. Though I hope this doesn't have any negative effect on the redevelopment of this district.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #218  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:14 AM
65MAX's Avatar
65MAX 65MAX is offline
Karma Police
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: People's Republic of Portland
Posts: 2,138
Slabtown, not Stumptown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #219  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:48 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Slabtown, not Stumptown.
Oops, I meant Slabtown, I don't know why I typed Stumptown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #220  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:45 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Conway Blocks 294E and 295E were approved yesterday.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.