HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8981  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:54 PM
loverboie loverboie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
Hey guys, here is an interesting read for the day.

Will Philly continue to be nation’s 5th-largest city?

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20...ix_of_high__low.html#FOF1hGHor20xB2td.99

Last edited by loverboie; Oct 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8982  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 4:09 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverboie View Post
Hey guys, here is a good read for the day.

Will Philly continue to be nation’s 5th-largest city?

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20...ix_of_high__low.html#FOF1hGHor20xB2td.99
Such a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 article. They seem to have a problem grasping anything important here. The city is actually growing, and is one of the fastest growing counties in the region, which is sad. The region as a whole is sluggish, the city is actually performing quite well all things considered, and yet the article still tries to blame the problems of the region on the city. Typical 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Philly.com article.

The article forgets to mention any actual facts - like the fact that those Texas and southern cities Philadelphia is losing ground in population to have 5 to 6 times the land area that the city of Philadelphia has - and instead seems to be bent on taking a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 on the city of Philadelphia as Philly.com loves to do at least once a month. It's like they get this weird satisfaction from shitting on the city. No wonder Philly.com continues to lose readers.

Most of the woes of the region fall on state government, not the city of Philadelphia. The region as a whole is losing ground to more forward thinking and business friendly environments like Massachusetts (Boston), California (San Francisco), Washington DC (Virginia and Maryland), Florida (Miami), Georgia (Atlanta) and Texas (Dallas and Houston), and until the state government wakes the hell up - as I and many others have been saying for a few years now - Philadelphia region will continue to lose it's grip. The city of Philadelphia however, is doing just fine, and city limit population is entirely irrelevant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8983  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 4:17 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Such a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 article. They seem to have a problem grasping anything important here. The city is actually growing, and is one of the fastest growing counties in the region, which is sad. The region as a whole is sluggish, the city is actually performing quite well all things considered, and yet the article still tries to blame the problems of the region on the city. Typical 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Philly.com article.

The article forgets to mention any actual facts - like the fact that those Texas and southern cities Philadelphia is losing ground in population to have 5 to 6 times the land area that the city of Philadelphia has - and instead seems to be bent on taking a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 on the city of Philadelphia as Philly.com loves to do at least once a month. It's like they get this weird satisfaction from shitting on the city. No wonder Philly.com continues to lose readers.

Most of the woes of the region fall on state government, not the city of Philadelphia. The region as a whole is losing ground to more forward thinking and business friendly environments like Massachusetts (Boston), California (San Francisco), Washington DC (Virginia and Maryland), Florida (Miami), Georgia (Atlanta) and Texas (Dallas and Houston), and until the state government wakes the hell up - as I and many others have been saying for a few years now - Philadelphia region will continue to lose it's grip. The city of Philadelphia however, is doing just fine, and city limit population is entirely irrelevant.
i didn't want to be a negative Nelly, but I too found the article deficient. Many posts on Philly.com seem to more like opinion pieces than works of journalism. There was little actual substance in this article. The only points I'd agree with are: 1. Philly is a great value when it comes to housing and cost of living, compared with other Bos-Wash cities; and 2. We have an uncomfortably high poverty rate. Maybe we could be growing faster and have a better market for office space -- and we can occupy another thread with tax and other public policy recommendations -- but the (soon to be) 17 cranes on the skyline don't lie.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8984  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 4:34 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Edit. Nevermind
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8985  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:51 PM
Outta here's Avatar
Outta here Outta here is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 1060 W. Addison
Posts: 400
No summers , it's alright . You can go ahead and say what I'm thinking .

Every city has it's own set of problems . No reason to get burnt to the stump over a
🞵🞵🞵🞵 storm of negative articles that some people seem to enjoy making public .

I personally don't give a rats 🞵🞵🞵 about where other states , cities , towns , places , rank
on the " I'm better than you list " . I have lived in metro Philly for most of my life and
scratch when it itches or fart when appropriate...... Pardon me while I fart
__________________


.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8986  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:59 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Such a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 article.
The criticism (and rightfully so) has always been that the City population has been shrinking for 50 years. Now we are finally growing and the criticism is that we aren’t growing fast enough. Philadelphia could turn into the next Manhattan and it would still fail to meet the expectations of a certain segment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8987  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 6:50 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta here View Post
No summers , it's alright . You can go ahead and say what I'm thinking .

Every city has it's own set of problems . No reason to get burnt to the stump over a
🞵🞵🞵🞵 storm of negative articles that some people seem to enjoy making public .

I personally don't give a rats 🞵🞵🞵 about where other states , cities , towns , places , rank
on the " I'm better than you list " . I have lived in metro Philly for most of my life and
scratch when it itches or fart when appropriate...... Pardon me while I fart
Colorfully said. Getting too much into the comparison game doesn't serve any purpose. Philadelphia is what it is -- and right now, it ain't half bad. The thing that I've perceived about this city is that (in my lifetime) it never seems to have caught on fire in a truly "boom" like fashion, but neither has it crashed and burned. Sometimes, like the present, there are signs of growth visible everywhere. There have been depressing runs of bad luck as well, where the city couldn't catch a break if they were giving them away. It doesn't seem to embrace fads of any kind. Philadelphia just slowly and steadily carries on, like the tortoise vs. the hare.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8988  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 7:25 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Before the recession, I remember when we kept comparing ourselves with Phoenix. But the great thing is, we're nothing like Phoenix! We're a city of 1.5 million people in a metro of 6 million, and what does Phoenix have? The city may have about the same amount of people, but the metro is only 2/3rds our size. And anyway, even the oldest most urban parts of Phoenix are made up of low-slung suburban ranchers. Not a city I want to live in.

Now that we're optimistic and confident -- and yes, have a growing amount of swagger -- about ourselves, we can look around and say city size does not matter. Now we can look at the big boys and say, "Yes, we're one of them" instead of being scared that we're gonna be passed by a metro areas that are giant kudzu suburbs.

It's a great feeling.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

‘Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8989  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 10:41 PM
PHL1 PHL1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11
Damn right! ������
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8990  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 10:43 PM
PHL1 PHL1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8991  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 12:47 AM
Schmidt519's Avatar
Schmidt519 Schmidt519 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 50
Interesting read. Its very exciting to see their 'master plan' for Univ City area. Although its probably not bringing us a 600+ tower(excluding FMC) in the next 10 years. It'll undoubtedly bring us investment, jobs, office/residential demand, and stability in that area which will spawn more towers in the greater Philly area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8992  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:22 AM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverboie View Post
Hey guys, here is an interesting read for the day.

Will Philly continue to be nation’s 5th-largest city?

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20...ix_of_high__low.html#FOF1hGHor20xB2td.99
I'm not going to lie: this article infuriated me at first. I saw it as a typical Negadelphian article attempting to discredit the real progress Philly has made over the years. I took a second to think about it, and I have come to this conclusion: who cares if we lose our #5 spot?

No matter what was written in this seemingly negative article, I have seen Philly change before my very eyes over the years. I was born in 1995, and lived in West Philly (Carroll Park) from 2002-2006. When I used to take the El into Center City from 52nd Street, I had a full view of Center City. Now, when I ride the El from 69th Street, I see buildings along Market, Chestnut, and Walnut in UC, as well as buildings springing up in the Health Complex. 46th-40th and Market used to be a dump. Now, even these areas have some vibrancy to them. I even still remember when the lot that now has The Residences at Ritz-Carlton was still a parking lot, and when Discount Row was still on Market between 11th and 12th Street.

There is something truly magical about this city. I find it amazing how 19th Century Federal-style homes on Delancey Street coalesce with the modern skyscrapers to the north. I love how vibrant certain areas become once the sun goes down. I love how Center City and University City are/have becoming/become one continuous CBD. I love the fact that I will be able to live life here without a car. I love the urban, the affordability, and the synergy that Millennials provide. This is the place that I will call home after I graduate from college and become an actuary or get involved with some position in corporate finance. I would not be afraid to raise a family here, either. I believe that people raised in urban environments have certain capabilities ("street smarts", riding public transportation, etc) that a suburban lifestyle just won't offer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8993  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 1:34 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Such a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 article. They seem to have a problem grasping anything important here. The city is actually growing, and is one of the fastest growing counties in the region, which is sad. The region as a whole is sluggish, the city is actually performing quite well all things considered, and yet the article still tries to blame the problems of the region on the city. Typical 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Philly.com article.

The article forgets to mention any actual facts - like the fact that those Texas and southern cities Philadelphia is losing ground in population to have 5 to 6 times the land area that the city of Philadelphia has - and instead seems to be bent on taking a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 on the city of Philadelphia as Philly.com loves to do at least once a month. It's like they get this weird satisfaction from shitting on the city. No wonder Philly.com continues to lose readers.

Most of the woes of the region fall on state government, not the city of Philadelphia. The region as a whole is losing ground to more forward thinking and business friendly environments like Massachusetts (Boston), California (San Francisco), Washington DC (Virginia and Maryland), Florida (Miami), Georgia (Atlanta) and Texas (Dallas and Houston), and until the state government wakes the hell up - as I and many others have been saying for a few years now - Philadelphia region will continue to lose it's grip. The city of Philadelphia however, is doing just fine, and city limit population is entirely irrelevant.
That particular writer does pieces like that about once a month. He is constantly going on and on about how this region and the city is falling behind and not attracting people or jobs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8994  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:56 PM
looper121's Avatar
looper121 looper121 is offline
Register This
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Phila
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverboie View Post
Hey guys, here is an interesting read for the day.

Will Philly continue to be nation’s 5th-largest city?

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20...ix_of_high__low.html#FOF1hGHor20xB2td.99
This article is a complete pile pf trash.
__________________
My cats breath smells like cat food
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8995  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:18 PM
Outta here's Avatar
Outta here Outta here is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 1060 W. Addison
Posts: 400
Holy cow: Cubs in NLCS, make Wrigley history!

Harry Caray , this one's for you

Philly , thank you for allowing me to post some fond memories .... in my
" now home " .

Now , looking and hoping for some great news about 8th. & Market .
__________________


.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8996  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:24 PM
Elevator1 Elevator1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 135
Which happens first, Cubs win world series or Disney Hole filled with a legitimate project?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8997  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:44 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta here View Post
Holy cow: Cubs in NLCS, make Wrigley history!

Harry Caray , this one's for you

Philly , thank you for allowing me to post some fond memories .... in my
" now home " .

Now , looking and hoping for some great news about 8th. & Market .
I remember Caray and the Cubbies (and Chicago in general) fondly from my days at Notre Dame. I hope they finally overcome the curse. Maybe they can put a billy goat statue atop the Willis/Sears Tower.

As for 8th and Market, I'm guessing that we'll need to hear of Hell freezing over before we get our hopes up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8998  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 4:12 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I remember Caray and the Cubbies (and Chicago in general) fondly from my days at Notre Dame. I hope they finally overcome the curse. Maybe they can put a billy goat statue atop the Willis/Sears Tower.

As for 8th and Market, I'm guessing that we'll need to hear of Hell freezing over before we get our hopes up.


__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

‘Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8999  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 4:43 PM
mmikeyphilly mmikeyphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I remember Caray and the Cubbies (and Chicago in general) fondly from my days at Notre Dame. I hope they finally overcome the curse. Maybe they can put a billy goat statue atop the Willis/Sears Tower.

As for 8th and Market, I'm guessing that we'll need to hear of Hell freezing over before we get our hopes up.
^^LOL!

Congrats to the Cubs! I hope they go all the way. No team deserves it more. The last time (and the only time) I visited Chicago was in 1993, and Wrigley Field was definitely on my agenda. I had 4 Cubs tickets, courtesy of a vendor I used to deal with. I only used 2, and someone actually bought the other 2 about a block from the Ball Park. (He sounded really desperate, but those seats remained empty. Who knows?)
Anyway, the Phils were in first place and went to the Series, only to be beaten by The Blue Jays. Philly fans turned on Mitch Williams, (who pitched very bad that game). The fans wouldn't let him live that down. Hey, stuff happens.

I think the 8th & Market lot has become the "Mitch Williams" of vacant lots.
Let's hope that never remains that.
__________________
whatever
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9000  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:12 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post


Well, there you go. I'll expect an 8th and Market rendering any day now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.