HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7341  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 10:18 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Yeah last year when the big liquor law reform (if you can really call it that) happened, they finally added DJs to the list of entertainment. They also got rid of the whole dining/room lounge separation, places just need to have food on offering now, and you don't technically need "live music" now, only the cabarets (clubs), but again DJ counts for this now. And because a DJ counts, someone who is picking songs off a computer would count.

As for inspectors and getting caught... it is 100% dependant on the inspector you have. Lots of them, like said before, really are just looking that the staff cares about being responsible and is in control. But then you get the inspectors who probably had a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 high school experience and want to ruin everyone else's fun. Unfortunately the one that was for downtown was brutal for years, but it's a new duo now and they're way more relaxed.
     
     
  #7342  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:04 AM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Was in Daniel Greaves' bar (from the Watchmen) this spring. The place is only about 12 feet wide, no food available, just booze. Washrooms down a narrow, nearly vertical staircase, like most bars in Toronto.

Totally different environment.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
     
     
  #7343  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:46 AM
borkborkbork's Avatar
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Thanks for the Article. Yes, Your absolutely right, I've seen it happen and experienced it. For those that haven't or are not willing to realize it let's throw out the Montcalm, Hagars Rock Club, the Black Night and the ZOO which is and institution and may soon follow with the Palamino to join all the others shortly to name a few of many. It was big, it was an in your face live band experience..It's gone now people. CHANGE... RIP
I think the last day for the Zoo is Oct 31. I've heard it will be replaced with an Original Joe's.

Although the Zoo isn't easily replaced for metal shows (only the Windsor Hotel remains at this point), there are still a reasonable range of places to catch live music. The Good Will was mentioned, but there's also the Pyramid, the WECC, Park Theatre, the Garrison... am I missing any?
     
     
  #7344  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:17 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I think the last day for the Zoo is Oct 31. I've heard it will be replaced with an Original Joe's.

Although the Zoo isn't easily replaced for metal shows (only the Windsor Hotel remains at this point), there are still a reasonable range of places to catch live music. The Good Will was mentioned, but there's also the Pyramid, the WECC, Park Theatre, the Garrison... am I missing any?
I heard from someone very close to the hotel purchasers that the plan is to tear it down and build a new hotel with a beer vendor inside it and possibly condos behind it afterward. Apparently the vendor isn't making all that much money (compared to what it could) right now because their coolers aren't big enough that they don't have a lot of selection, so people who are buying anything better than Keiths go to the LC. They want to offer what the Pembina & Grant one does in terms of a big craft beer selection.
     
     
  #7345  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:32 PM
The Unknown Poster The Unknown Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah last year when the big liquor law reform (if you can really call it that) happened, they finally added DJs to the list of entertainment. They also got rid of the whole dining/room lounge separation, places just need to have food on offering now, and you don't technically need "live music" now, only the cabarets (clubs), but again DJ counts for this now. And because a DJ counts, someone who is picking songs off a computer would count.

As for inspectors and getting caught... it is 100% dependant on the inspector you have. Lots of them, like said before, really are just looking that the staff cares about being responsible and is in control. But then you get the inspectors who probably had a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 high school experience and want to ruin everyone else's fun. Unfortunately the one that was for downtown was brutal for years, but it's a new duo now and they're way more relaxed.
One of our inspectors was a guy who was a regular at our bar and had been a huge pisstank. The bartenders couldnt believe it when he came in and started lecturing them.

It was great when you got a good inspector. Having a bad one just made for a lousy experience for everyone. The ones that would walk in, not identify themselves and assume you knew who they were because they fancied themselves celebrities.

I did get caught once though. On a dead night, I had a drink in my hand just as the LC walked in. Walked right up to me and demanded to know what I was doing. Knowing I was caught, I said "having a drink". I said it was a slow night so I was off early. He told me I shouldnt be "in uniform" and I retorted "well, I cant walk around shirt-less". Got away with that one...lol

We had changed our bar to a caberet license so the venue had three licenses total and thus, could increase the VLT machines in the lounge.
     
     
  #7346  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 3:52 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's stupid to have some run down, dive motel just to sell booze. Why can't Jimmy open up a small pub at the corner? Ridiculous. What is the logic behind it? Make everyone drive to the centralized dive bar for what reason? To prevent drinking and driving? Lol
Yeah but the dive bars are also big enough to house the govt.s other money making device to pry money from the poor...the VLT's.
     
     
  #7347  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:22 PM
rkspec rkspec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 774
     
     
  #7348  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:25 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,361
Yeah. They're closing for good "for now" and will take time to re-think their plan. Seems they didn't want to reopen at the beginning of summer. rather try to time it for re-opening at start of NHL season. From what I heard yesterday.
     
     
  #7349  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:47 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
This is the most unreliable, uninformed, and unresearched "article" I've ever seen. This site just takes headlines and reposts them. I guarantee you they just based that on the article in the WFP that Carey said he just doesn't want 4Play. Bomberjet I agree 100%.
     
     
  #7350  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 6:20 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
No, I get that some people want to see live bands.

What I am talking about was the situation in the East Exchange about 15 to 20 years ago. There were several successful clubs (in and around where Wise Guys used to be). People went to these clubs to drink and dance.

In order for these places to offer the drinks, every hour or so, the DJ stopped playing the top 40 music (which people wanted to dance to) and instead a band got on stage to do their set of covers. No one went to these bars to hear a band. But the establishments needed the bands to serve booze.

Now, compare this situation to what was occurring at, for example Scandals, a club attached to a hotel. This place could play top 40 music all night, without a band in site. ONLY because it was attached to a hotel, it satisfied one of the requirements to serve booze.

Back in these days, DJs were not considered live bands. I think that has changed now, but either way, the Club scene in the East Exchange is basically dead.
Yes ,but in that timeframe, Thier were several clubs I played live in and bands were a regular feature...(Exchange)..Lot's of people went to see bands, not the pre-recorded dance tunes, It was a pleasant distraction, then the band came on..

Hey I love DJ's and the dance scene with pre-recorded music, no disrespect to those that follow this path but again, personally, Not my scene.

Prior to Scandals( which I liked, cherry smelling dry ice and all), It was a Hard Rock Live venue, one of the better for attracting touring bands...

East Exchange? Include the West as well..It has died..




Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I think the last day for the Zoo is Oct 31. I've heard it will be replaced with an Original Joe's.

Although the Zoo isn't easily replaced for metal shows (only the Windsor Hotel remains at this point), there are still a reasonable range of places to catch live music. The Good Will was mentioned, but there's also the Pyramid, the WECC, Park Theatre, the Garrison... am I missing any?
Pyramid is the exception for the type of venues that are being discussed and dieing a slow death. Of course there are venues left that cater to live music...This is more about a certain scene/venue type that is disappearing for the next wave of what is popular and in and what is not..Root cause:? The internet and technology...It's hard enough to get teens away from thier Play Stations and IPhones?
     
     
  #7351  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 6:37 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ My experience is very similar to drew's. I think I'm of roughly the same vintage, and the only place I can think of where people regularly got more excited for the band than for the dance tunes was Wise Guys in the Exchange District. And even there it was a crapshoot depending on who was on stage and how good they were. Everywhere else, the bands were basically filler.
     
     
  #7352  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 7:04 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
^ that's ok guys, Different strokes for different folks..(Ouch that's dated)...

Note: Things to do:
1-Take Esquire to (If I can find one) live venue where people go to see a live band + drink and not to listen to material available on you tube and itunes which was mixed on thier laptop on the ride to the gig....
     
     
  #7353  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 7:15 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ My experience is very similar to drew's. I think I'm of roughly the same vintage
How polite of you! As I typed that last post out, it was amazing (sad?) realizing how long ago that was...
     
     
  #7354  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 7:40 PM
rkspec rkspec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ My experience is very similar to drew's. I think I'm of roughly the same vintage, and the only place I can think of where people regularly got more excited for the band than for the dance tunes was Wise Guys in the Exchange District. And even there it was a crapshoot depending on who was on stage and how good they were. Everywhere else, the bands were basically filler.

aahhh the days that Mark Labossier ran Wise Guys hey?!
     
     
  #7355  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 8:19 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Hard to believe the closing of some stink bar occupied the pages of both Winnipeg daily's and most other new sources for the better part of a week, imagine if something significant actually happened here!
     
     
  #7356  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 8:31 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Hard to believe the closing of some stink bar occupied the pages of both Winnipeg daily's and most other new sources for the better part of a week, imagine if something significant actually happened here!
This is no joking matter. It's day 8 of the Great Palomino Crisis and the citizens are growing restive over the future of this longstanding institution. Could this really be the end?
     
     
  #7357  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 8:37 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
bar occupied the pages of both Winnipeg daily's and most other new sources for the better part of a week, imagine if something significant actually happened here!



3.bp.blogspot.com

palominoclub.ca
• Video Link
     
     
  #7358  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 8:40 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Hard to believe the closing of some stink bar occupied the pages of both Winnipeg daily's and most other new sources for the better part of a week, imagine if something significant actually happened here!
I can't imagine the outrage when the downtown Bay store finally closes. Or maybe not.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
     
     
  #7359  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 9:16 PM
the_jaf the_jaf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
The Arby's on Regent next to the Burger King just got demolished today. It was listed For Lease for a certain amount of time. Does any one know if they are building anything on that site?
     
     
  #7360  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 9:55 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,361
So that leaves only one Arby's in Winnipeg? The food court of Kildonan Place.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:41 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.