HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #201  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 9:47 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #202  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 11:01 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114






__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #203  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 8:58 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
Is this going to be the facade? I was under the impression that it would be a glass facade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #204  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:03 PM
Abide's Avatar
Abide Abide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Is this going to be the facade? I was under the impression that it would be a glass facade.
There will be slightly more glass on each level.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #205  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:34 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
There will be slightly more glass on each level.
That is better, though I was expecting it to be mostly glass for some reason.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #206  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:38 PM
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That is better, though I was expecting it to be mostly glass for some reason.


I was too, I'm thinking this is going to be another project where the renderings were almost too good to be true.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #207  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 10:20 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
I don't think I'm seeing what you guys are seeing. It's pretty clear in the renders that the dominant material at the lower levels will be the metal panels. There will be progressively more glass as it goes up.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #208  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 10:43 PM
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,388
You're right, it's too early to make any judgements!
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #209  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:45 AM
curt-pdx curt-pdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 57
As part of Design Week Portland, hear from the architects of the Yard, Dumbbell and Block 75

Eastside Uprising: The Architects Shaping the Big, New Burnside Bridgehead

Monday, October 12, 2015 from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM (PDT) Jimmy Mak's - 221 Northwest 10th Avenue

Free tickets at:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/eastside-upr...ail&utm_term=eventname&ref=eemailordconf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #210  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 7:53 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
I am planning on going to this. Given that it's at a bar would anyone like to join for a drink?
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #211  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 8:08 AM
davehogan davehogan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I am planning on going to this. Given that it's at a bar would anyone like to join for a drink?
I was on the fence about it, but I think I'll probably go. (Edit to add: I reserved a spot, so I'll be there.) I'd be in for grabbing a drink.

I'm thinking of just taking the day off and using the Orange Line and Streetcar Loop to see some of the new construction on both sides of the river during the day, so if anyone wanted to check out any of that and grab a late lunch/early dinner at Little Big Burger that might work too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #212  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 11:04 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Skylab's Jeff Kovel discusses the new Yard tower



Since its founding in 1999, Skylab Architecture has produced a host of memorial designs both in Portland and beyond, be it restaurants and watering holes like Portland's Doug Fir or Departure Lounge, houses like the local Hoke Residence (made popular by its appearance in one of the Twilight movies), company headquarters like Brooklyn's Flavor Paper, and public buildings like the Columbia Wastewater Treatment Plant in Portland.

But until recently, the firm had never seen completed a major tower that could be seen from afar as part of the city's skyline. (Its signature Weave Building in downtown went unbuilt thanks to the recession.) That will change with Yard, the 21-story mixed-use residential and commercial building under construction at the east end of the Burnside Bridge and due to open next year. Although not downtown, upon completion it will occupy a prominent position on the skyline, helping to extend the downtown core across the river. And like all of Skylab's work, Yard has a blend of clean-lined design, space-age cool, and a sense of kinetic energy. The building has an angular, almost origami-like triangular geometry, particularly at its base.

Recently I talked with Skylab Architecture founder Jeff Kovel about the project: how it was conceived, how it will transform its immediate area, and what it means to the firm.
...continues at Portland Architecture.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #213  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 11:29 PM
tworivers's Avatar
tworivers tworivers is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Portland/Cascadia
Posts: 2,603
"memorial designs"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #214  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 12:02 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114
Hard to see this being approved, but interesting nonetheless. Skylab Architecture have requested Design Advice for a structure that would like Yard at the Burnside Bridgehead to Sideyard:

Quote:
Design Advice Request for a Type I Skywalk spanning between Blocks 67 & 76 off of East Burnside
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #215  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 4:13 AM
QAtheSky QAtheSky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 104


Taken yesterday. Going at a steady pace, and already striking a rather imposing figure. You can clearly see both this and the adjoining building from street level across the burnside bridge now, and it makes the area feel much more urban already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #216  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:00 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,114






__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #217  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:52 AM
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,388
Still not impressed with the windows at all.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #218  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 6:46 AM
innovativethinking innovativethinking is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 591
I love the stealth look this building has
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #219  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 6:13 PM
pdxtraveler pdxtraveler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 731
Love this one, can't wait to see the final product!!
__________________
My development/transportation/travel industry/misc interest Twitter @geraldpdx
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #220  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 7:13 PM
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,388
I don't know, I was super excited for it from the renderings, but the building has outstanding views and they put windows on it that are reminiscent of a jail. I don't get it.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.