Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular
...I am curious though, could you elaborate on the ACCA (Association of Chartered Canadian Accountants?) and what you are referring to with the liberals connecting that to the oil sands?
|
Accelerate Capital Cost Allowance - ACCA
A tax reduction/subsidy introduced by the Libbies in 1996 in response to lobbying by CAPP and Alberta. It allows companies to write off all capital investments against profit until the entire project cost is recouped. That is it allows individual Oil Sands projects to write off all of their capital costs before they start to pay income tax.
It effectively kick started the explosion in the Sands starting in the late 90's to today. When you hear people complain about the subsidies that the Oil Sands get - up to $2 Billion a year - ACCA is the primary reason as it allows companies to avoid paying income tax.
In 2007 Harpo said that the Oil Sands were now in good enough shape that they no longer needed this subsidy and started to phase it out by 2015 - which he did. Much to the annoyance of CAPP.
The ACCA is stated by most anti-Sands entities as the single biggest catalyst to the growth in the Sands and basically ever dollar spent on building new facilities since 1997 was enabled by the ACCA. Without the ACCA it is likely that production from the Sands would be much, much smaller today.
Some background info from Pembina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular
You can't deny the damage he did with the omnibus bills gutting environmental protections and oversight to benefit the energy industry above all others.
|
I have asked this many times before, can you provide me one example of an industrial activity that can be done because of these so-called "gutted policies" that couldn't have happened before? Can companies now pump toxins into rivers? Can they now destroy animal habitats without any regard to Provincial or Federal law?? (Remember, it's the Provinces that enact and enforce most environment laws in Canada - that's why AB has the best sewage treatment in Canada due to AB pollution laws, not Federal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular
In the end I know you probably plan on voting green out of pure principle, but do you not see the benefit of strategic voting
|
This is my opinion only. Again my opinion only, however I think
Strategic Voting is the most disrespectful and ignorant thing someone can do in a democracy. It's akin to a corporate
YES MAN who can't make a decision for themselves and let's others do the thinking for them. Again it is my opinion, but I would rather people without conviction or enough understanding of what the parties stand for just not vote. What this so-called strategy is really saying is that I don't care for the status quo, however I also don't care about the future outcome. If that's the case, stay home and don't vote. Again MY OPINION ONLY - and I won't change it so don't bother trying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular
Like Thomas Mulcair said, who would you rather be the face of our country at the Climate talks in Paris?
|
I guess if someone is going to go to an Environmental conference and lie about our commitments, the Libbies would be the best choice since they are the most experienced in doing so (cough, cough, Kyoto).