Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse
I just don't see the functional benefit of this approach. Like I said in the previous post, I see religion as basically the same as a mental illness and approach it in the same way as other disabilities.
|
But people who do illegal things and then claim mental illness (including religion) normally don't get away with it scot-free.
Either the claim of mental illness is rejected, and they have to face the legal consequences of their actions, or else they are indeed found to be officially mentally ill, in which case they will not be immediately set loose on the streets like a totally normal free citizen with zero medical/psychological follow-up and full freedom.
What you are advocating for is unfair: you want to have mentally ill people be officially able to get away with things that non-mentally-ill people wouldn't be able to get away with, YET at the same time you also want these mentally ill people to continue to fully enjoy normal non-mentally-ill citizens' rights.
If I walk on the street fully naked, and decide to claim "mental illness/religion" as my reason for doing so, fine, but I can't expect to get a free pass from the authorities to
continue to do so unpunished and with no consequences.
That's how it is now, and that's how it should continue to be.
Being officially recognized as mentally ill does allow you to have much lighter consequences for your past illegal actions, but it does not allow you to continue "business as usual" like you weren't mentally ill. Can't have it both ways. If you're mentally ill, the healthcare system will normally be trying to take care of you to fix that problem...