HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


View Poll Results: How Will You Vote On Election Day?
Conservative 50 21.65%
Liberal 117 50.65%
NDP 46 19.91%
Green 9 3.90%
BQ 6 2.60%
Other 3 1.30%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1141  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 11:22 AM
Taeolas Taeolas is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Fredericton has 13% GPC support which is the highest for the region. Even with this taking some of the left votes the LPC still have a clear win.
For what it's worth, Freddy has an elected provincial Green MPP at the moment, so it's not too surprising that our Green numbers might be a bit higher than normal. The Green party Federal candidate was also out and about as soon as the writ dropped. I think I saw a GPC sign before any other candidate on the busy corners, and she just started her radio campaign locally.

As for Tobique-Mactaquac, I'm glad to see it's such a toss up, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay blue. It has flipped in the past, but otherwise it's a very rural/suburban riding. The wild card with its polling at the moment is that most of the riding has a Provincial Bi-election in progress at the moment to replace David Alward. Which means there are a lot of places you will see 2 Liberal signs, a PC and a Conservative sign, etc... It has caused a lot of confusion, even for people who aren't in the Provincial Riding. The Provincial bi-election will be on Oct. 5th, so after that wraps up we should have a clearer picture of Tobique-Mactaquac.
     
     
  #1142  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 11:32 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
NDP is back on top in St. John's South-Mount Pearl. I figured they would be - not by much, but close.

Latest for us:

St. John's East (my district):
NDP: 70%
Lib: 23%
Con: 5%
Green: 3%

St. John's South-Mount Pearl:
NDP: 46%
Lib: 44%
Con: 9%
Green: 2%

And for the rural areas:

Avalon: 48% Lib, 28% NDP, 22% Con
Bonavista-Burin-Trinity: 70% Lib, 15% Con, 13% NDP
Coast of Bays-Central-Notre Dame: 70% Lib, 15% Con, 13% NDP
Labrador: 54% Lib, 24% Con, 19% NDP
* Long Range Mountains: 71% Lib, 17% NDP, 10% Con

* (Includes City of Corner Brook and is our most populous single riding)
     
     
  #1143  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 12:59 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
One problem with this is that "terrorism" isn't a real crime with a coherent legal definition. Governments love vague laws because they can be used against anybody they don't like.

I keep reading about how we need to make sure people don't throw acid in each other's faces or fly planes into buildings. These things all carried stiff penalties long before anti-terrorism rhetoric became popular.

People don't understand the big picture. Canada is now infected with the disease that automatically shuts off people's brains because "terrorism"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Mulcair..... the creepy uncle you want to punch in the face.


Trudeau.... a 43 year old man with a 20 year old mind.


Harper.... the personality of a pencil.....but is the best choice for me and my Canada.....Winner
And here's a six year old mind. This level of black and white, oversimplied surface reasoning is getting way too common.

I'm not hurling an insult here, just speaking the objective truth. Canada can officially not look down on the USA anymore.
     
     
  #1144  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:02 PM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Simcoe County, ON
Posts: 6,506
I can honestly say I've made up my mind for who I'm voting for. I'll be voting Liberal. I've had enough of Harper, he's always bothered me and I disagree with the way he operates, and his stance on most social issues. Economically he's not nearly as great as he claims. I believe the Liberals have recruited quite a bit of talent, candidates with real credentials who have solid experience behind them. Trudeau worried me before the election started but has really done a 180, he's killing these debates and seems to have his groove. I'm comfortable enough to now vote for him. I think a Liberal minority would be perfect. Give him some time to govern, but with compromise. Make him learn how to work Parliament and get his feet wet and see how that goes.
     
     
  #1145  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:29 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
This stunning contribution to the thread has earned you five woot points. Use them wisely.
Beats your consistently rude replies to remarks made by others on topics you evidently know very little about. Take a break. You do not have to be a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 100% of the time.
Your "500-page dissertation" was unfortunately rejected by the examination committee on the basis of being atheoretical. Longer arguments are not necessarily better arguments.

Your proposed solution to the elimination of the long form census is laughable at best. Conversation is pointless.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Sep 29, 2015 at 1:42 PM.
     
     
  #1146  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:39 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
So you're on board with trying to stop the Conservatives from stripping the citizenship of convicted terrorists who tried to kill your family?
Wow, when did this happen? My wife and children seem to have no recollection. Collective amnesia, perhaps?
     
     
  #1147  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:08 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Don't even try to blame the price of oil on the AB NDP either because we both know that's ridiculous.
My investment portfolio takes a huge hit whenever she opens her mouth. I lost a lot yesterday after she went off on power generation in Alberta. The last thing I need is more NDP. Conservatives all the way. 1) Economy, 2) Economy, 3) Economy......
     
     
  #1148  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:14 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
BTW geotag, I think flar absolutely hit the nail on the head with this one and he's expressing my position perfectly (which is identical to his).

Surely you can't wish for the random, usually ancient, nearly always idiotic requirements of various religions to start to have the power to trump actual laws...? Please tell me you don't...


Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
But on the other hand, it's not PC in some circles to say Merry Christmas. It's "Happy Holidays" instead, to accommodate non-Christians. Obviously it makes a lot of people mad when they get in trouble for saying "Merry Christmas" yet accommodations are made so others can wear a turban in the RCMP, carry a ceremonial dagger to school, or wear a cloth over the face in a citizenship ceremony.

Personally, I think religion needs to be kept private. If your strange customs prevent you from doing something, then that's your choice. That's why I like the guy with the colander on his head, he exposes the absurdity of all this.

If my religion says I can only work on Saturdays and I'm not allowed to talk to people who eat chicken, would anyone make accommodations? Why should we make exceptions for one set of strange customs just because they are old customs? There are lots of "old" customs that were dropped, because they don't make sense any more.

I put all these things in the same category. You can do whatever strange stuff you want, as long as it's legal. But no one should have to change to accommodate these personal choices.
     
     
  #1149  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:16 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
BTW geotag, I think flar absolutely hit the nail on the head with this one and he's expressing my position perfectly (which is identical to his).

Surely you can't wish for the random, usually ancient, nearly always idiotic requirements of various religions to start to have the power to trump actual laws...? Please tell me you don't...
I'd say that everything is negotiable, when there's another pro-diversity lapel pin at stake!

     
     
  #1150  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:22 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't tell anyone how I vote, sorry! Even my wife doesn't know.
I asked my gf who she was going to vote for (via text message and spontaneously yesterday, I think she thought it was a bit of a trick question from me and wasn't too sure why I was asking... especially since I gave zero hints of what I thought were the "right" and "wrong" answers)...

Undecided but probably Tory!!! She's the first person I meet except myself who has ever done that. AND it's in one of the few ridings when it's not a totally wasted vote.

I noticed that the other main two parties were potentially "on the table" as well but not the Bloc at all (I kinda did expect that from a pure Anglo). I might have to promise not to vote Bloc myself, in exchange for securing one more Tory vote in Levis. Sounds like I'll be voting Green...
     
     
  #1151  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:27 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
St. John's East (my district):
NDP: 70%
Lib: 23%
Con: 5%
Green: 3%
Is this one the riding with Ryan Cleary and Seamus O'Something?

FYI, Mulcair cod jigging in St. John's made the CBC news here on the day it happened. I found that interesting

(I had learned about it on SSP first, via my high-quality source of Newfie info and great St. John's pictures!!)
     
     
  #1152  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:37 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
FWIW, yesterday afternoon, sitting in my truck in downtown Sherbrooke traffic I decide to check various radio stations... on 102.7 Rouge FM (ex Cité Rock-Matante for you guys who might have lived in Quebec a while ago) I caught an ad saying Justin and Mulcair were incredibly soft and spineless on taking the oath (or was it voting?) masked, that they both saw absolutely no problem with that, and that this nonsense wouldn't be allowed under a Conservative govt, and that they were committing to, in the first 100 days of their mandate, shut down the door to it.

Is there an ad in Anglo Canada that's exactly mirroring this? I'd expect it to be a CPC strategy there (and it's not a bad idea at all for them), but here, the main "go to" party for the parties leaking votes due to this is clearly the Bloc.

In fact, by insisting on reminding people here that Mulcair is pro-niqab, they might cause some shifting of his voters back to the Bloc, which will in turn reinforce the perception in the ROC that the NDP is losing its grip on Fortress Quebec, which until now was the main reason to consider the NDP a credible countrywide centerleft alternative and a potential equal footing rival to the LPC, so it might result in some further coalescing of the ROC centerleft vote around the LPC, i.e. much less optimal vote-splitting on the left than what we saw lately in the polls, which could easily be catastrophic for the CPC.

The CPC these days always needs to prop up whoever is weaker of the LPC/NDP, it's almost even more important to them than to try to garner new votes themselves. If from this nearly three-way tie we ever get back to a basically two party system then the merged LPCNDP wins a majority easily, CPC will be stuck being the opposition for a long time...

Last edited by lio45; Sep 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM. Reason: grammar correction!
     
     
  #1153  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:46 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Is this one the riding with Ryan Cleary and Seamus O'Something?

FYI, Mulcair cod jigging in St. John's made the CBC news here on the day it happened. I found that interesting

(I had learned about it on SSP first, via my high-quality source of Newfie info and great St. John's pictures!!)
Nah this one is Jack Harris. St. John's South-Mount Pearl is Ryan versus Seamus. I'd be happy with either now. Seamus said all the right things during the debate with regard to patriotism. It's important to me that Townie reps reflect the city's nationalism. Sounds petty but it makes a difference. Danny was our first Premier since joining that was from St. John's. And his positive impact and strength in standing up to Ottawa was unmatched. We need that in our MPs. Rural areas will send lap dogs and that's fine. But we can't.

So with that settled... I'm fine with either. Love Ryan's politics, though. But Seamus is a grand candidate as well. So glad I don't have to vote there.
     
     
  #1154  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:59 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
FWIW, yesterday afternoon, sitting in my truck in downtown Sherbrooke traffic I decide to check various radio stations... on 102.7 Rouge FM (ex Cité Rock-Matante for you guys who might have lived in Quebec a while ago) I caught an ad saying Justin and Mulcair were incredibly soft and spineless on taking the oath (or was it voting?) masked, that they both saw absolutely no problem with that, and that this nonsense wouldn't be allowed under a Conservative govt, and that they were committing to, in the first 100 days of their mandate, shut down the door to it.

Is there an ad in Anglo Canada that's exactly mirroring this? I'd expect it to be a CPC strategy there (and it's not a bad idea at all for them), but here, the main "go to" party for the parties leaking votes due to this is clearly the Bloc.

In fact, by insisting on reminding people here that Mulcair is pro-niqab, they might cause some shifting of his voters back to the Bloc, which will in turn reinforce the perception in the ROC that the NDP is losing its grip on Fortress Quebec, which until now was the main reason to consider the NDP a credible countrywide centerleft alternative and a potential equal footing rival to the LPC, so it might result in some further coalescing of the ROC centerleft vote around the LPC, i.e. much less optimal vote-splitting on the left than what we saw lately in the polls, which could easily be catastrophic for the CPC.

The CPC these days always needs to prop up whoever is weaker of the LPC/NDP, it's almost even more important to them than to try to garner new votes themselves. If from this nearly three-way tie we ever get back to a basically two party system then the merged LPCNDP wins a majority easily, CPC will be stuck being the opposition for a long time...
I wonder if these initial attempts by the Tories to sway Quebecers towards them with the niqab issue won't be recouped by the Bloc instead. If the Bloc people are smart, that's what they'll do.

Because sure, the Tories don't want the niqab, and neither do most Quebecers. The Tories and Quebecers have this in common.

But the vast majority of other Tory policies oppose Quebecers and the CPC.

Whereas the Bloc and the views of most Quebecers are closely aligned on way more issues. (Of course, it's easy for the Bloc to do this as they only run in Quebec and will never govern.)

I don't know how this will all play out, but I sure know what I'd do if if I were the Bloc.

I guess the big challenge with them isn't meeting Quebecers on the issues, it's convincing Quebecers that the Bloc is still relevant.
     
     
  #1155  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:03 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
My investment portfolio takes a huge hit whenever she opens her mouth. I lost a lot yesterday after she went off on power generation in Alberta. The last thing I need is more NDP. Conservatives all the way. 1) Economy, 2) Economy, 3) Economy......

Amen brotha.


I didn't realize how bad the provincial NDP could be for Alberta's economy and my portfolio also. The NDP with Mulcair's leadership or the Liberals under Trudeau would drive this economy into the ground faster than a 95 mph fastball past a blind batter at the plate.

Harper's the only one IMO that can run our economy. And not make us look like goofs and weaklings on the International stage.

Moderator to Trudeau......How would you handle Putin!.....Crowd just starts to laugh!!
     
     
  #1156  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:23 PM
kiwi's Avatar
kiwi kiwi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 197
My biggest issue with Harper is that he brings his personal religious ideology into Canadian social policy and forcing his bible thumping delusions into Canadian law.
     
     
  #1157  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:25 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wonder if these initial attempts by the Tories to sway Quebecers towards them with the niqab issue won't be recouped by the Bloc instead. If the Bloc people are smart, that's what they'll do.

Because sure, the Tories don't want the niqab, and neither do most Quebecers. The Tories and Quebecers have this in common.

But the vast majority of other Tory policies oppose Quebecers and the CPC.

Whereas the Bloc and the views of most Quebecers are closely aligned on way more issues. (Of course, it's easy for the Bloc to do this as they only run in Quebec and will never govern.)

I don't know how this will all play out, but I sure know what I'd do if if I were the Bloc.

I guess the big challenge with them isn't meeting Quebecers on the issues, it's convincing Quebecers that the Bloc is still relevant.
Yeah, this ad gave me the feeling it was a Canada-wide ad that just got translated for Quebec.

As you say... My reaction to it was partly "Huh, a Bloc Québécois ad that ends with "This advertisement was authorized and paid for by the official agent of the Conservative Party of Canada"".

Seems that their war chest is so full they can afford to use it for ads benefitting others
     
     
  #1158  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:31 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
My biggest issue with Harper is that he brings his personal religious ideology into Canadian social policy and forcing his bible thumping delusions into Canadian law.
As an atheist who's been living in Canada under 4+ years of a Harper majority, I really haven't noticed anything "forced" on me by the federal govt in terms of bible or religion... if anything, the "oppression" (in quotation marks, obviously) under Harper for atheists like me came in the form of unreasonable accomodations for religion-based requests, and that's more in spite of Harper (who's been trying to prevent several of these cases) than thanks to him.
     
     
  #1159  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:36 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
St. John's South-Mount Pearl is Ryan versus Seamus.
I really hope Clearly gets reelected! I love his kind of strong "regionalism". Being first a Newfoundlander then a Canadian, apparently.

If more people were like that countrywide I have the feeling Quebec would be more comfortable in this federation. I can't imagine a MP like Ryan Clearly being for anything except devolution and decentralization... Would like to see more Anglo Canada MPs like that in Ottawa regardless of which parties they belong to.


(All of this is based on a few bits here and there I've gathered about that guy, I might be mistaken.)
     
     
  #1160  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:37 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say that everything is negotiable, when there's another pro-diversity lapel pin at stake!

I resent the insinuation that a genuine attempt to advocate for a fair and inclusive society is nothing more than a personal quest for piety or self aggrandizement. Both cynical and insulting.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.