Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery
^Love it. If I were king, we would begin construction tomorrow.  And thanks for the update on Trinity. Had no idea they were that far along.
On your fantasy map, how much have you thought about the terminus at Van Ness and Market? I assume your idea is to have the T turnaround there. I wonder how that would all fit there since you would need to build a separate platform for the T (as it runs perpendicular to the existing platform, and you already have a Muni station, then BART tracks below that. Wouldn't you need track to extend beyond the T station for storage and turnaround space? It seems you would either need to go pretty deep or move the T station up Van Ness a block or so to make it all fit. Just curious how you think that might all work.
I also like the fantasy Geary line on there. Talk about a game changer. BART is talking about a second tube, so maybe someday...
|
Actually in my wildest dreams, the Van Ness Line would continue down to S Van Ness and 16th Street, head East and connect loop with the T-line at 3rd/16th Street. Loops are the best, it would mean someone from Mission Bay could easily get to Van Ness & Market on a single line, backwards in a few minutes. It allows for travel either clockwise or counter-clockwise and really speeds up everything.
Van Ness Station would simply have to have another level below it. Remember, there is no BART station there, so this is a good chance to build one. This is far from unheard of, look at how many subway lines connect at the Fulton Center in NYC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_Center. Or East Side Access, which is basically a new tunnel underneath all of New York and its subways.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Access I believe Market and Van Ness, with its 5000+ units under construction or just completed, leading to 10,000-15,000 more people at that intersection, will be far more important in the 2020s than we can currently understand.
Potentially this Van Ness line could continue East to Alameda, Jack London, Lake Merritt, and then North Lake Merritt, terminating in Oakland.The problem of course is that it is a Muni line so I don't know how that would work, politically. I think it should be one system, and SF and OAK essentially opening far more parts of their cities to each other. In this scenario, the Geary line would start at Union Sq and continue West, down the Ocean side of SF, and stopping around Park Merced.