HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2341  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 9:56 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
i find if you tell the sales people you are just looking they will leave you alone, but if you specify what you are looking for ie pants or a jacket they will follow you around more and start suggesting things

but they are well known for their service in that they will go out of their way to get the item for you, if they don't have it at the store you are in they will get one from another store and either deliver it to you via shipping or even drop the item off at your hotel if your an out of towner, and to Canadians I've heard them say they can ship your purchases for you to Canada so you can avoid the border issues, ie going over your shopping limit.
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2342  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 9:59 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Quote:
when i first saw this i thought the nordstrom over the curved part was photoshopped, it kinda looks unreal, like it
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2343  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 10:03 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,429
But I don't want to have a conversation with them. Just be there if I need something. They don't need to approach me. I know they are there if I need something I will do the approaching.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2344  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 10:13 PM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,167
Retail salespeople usually approach everyone because it's been proven that shoplifting is less likely after you've been approached and acknowledged, if you wanna get really cynical about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2345  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 10:19 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
But I don't want to have a conversation with them. Just be there if I need something. They don't need to approach me. I know they are there if I need something I will do the approaching.
i'm the same, i just say i am browsing thanks.

but if i go to a store and am completely ignored and do need some help and they do nothing, no acknowlegement or a hello i will just go to another store and do a pretty woman thing lol, see look what you missed out by ignoring me
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2346  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 11:30 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
is it still under construction?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2347  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 11:34 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
It would have looked SO much better without that ugly spandrel box over the entrance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2348  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 11:48 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
It would have looked SO much better without that ugly spandrel box over the entrance.
It actually did look better when it was plastered with the opening ad before. Spandrels are perfect for ads.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2349  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 11:53 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
If Nordstrom/PC turns out to be a success, I'm sure developers/retailers would finally consider the General Post Office site to be downtown's second huge mall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2350  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 12:49 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
If Nordstrom/PC turns out to be a success, I'm sure developers/retailers would finally consider the General Post Office site to be downtown's second huge mall.
Whatever may become of that gigantic downtown Post Office building is a real intrigue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2351  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 2:12 AM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
If Nordstrom/PC turns out to be a success, I'm sure developers/retailers would finally consider the General Post Office site to be downtown's second huge mall.
Or perhaps the Bay Parkade block?
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2352  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 3:32 AM
daverraver daverraver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i find if you tell the sales people you are just looking they will leave you alone, but if you specify what you are looking for ie pants or a jacket they will follow you around more and start suggesting things

but they are well known for their service in that they will go out of their way to get the item for you, if they don't have it at the store you are in they will get one from another store and either deliver it to you via shipping or even drop the item off at your hotel if your an out of towner, and to Canadians I've heard them say they can ship your purchases for you to Canada so you can avoid the border issues, ie going over your shopping limit.
Exactly. There is a pair of jeans that I saw at the Nordstrom at The Grove (Los Angeles) that I was going to buy there but decided to wait until our store opened. The Vancouver store doesn't carry the line (yet) so the salesperson told me that as long as the item is at a Nordstrom location, they can perform an internal transfer (as long as I prepay) and they'll call me when it arrives. Typical return policy applies here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2353  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 3:33 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Or perhaps the Bay Parkade block?
I'm not sure how easy it would be to tear down and rebuild as there's underground space that's not open to the public. I just asked about it and hopefully will hear something this week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2354  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 3:35 AM
daverraver daverraver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
But I don't want to have a conversation with them. Just be there if I need something. They don't need to approach me. I know they are there if I need something I will do the approaching.
And that's totally fine. In reality though (having been a retail salesperson in the past), it's difficult or impossible to know who has been/hasn't been approached already. I always kept my distance and watched their behaviour. If they appeared like they needed assistance, that was my cue to approach them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2355  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 4:18 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverraver View Post
And that's totally fine. In reality though (having been a retail salesperson in the past), it's difficult or impossible to know who has been/hasn't been approached already. I always kept my distance and watched their behaviour. If they appeared like they needed assistance, that was my cue to approach them.
Yes that's what I'm talking about. That's great! That sounds like the opposite of what Nordstrom is doing though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2356  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 5:29 AM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Whatever may become of that gigantic downtown Post Office building is a real intrigue.
The first public plans might appear some time in October, I've been told.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2357  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 5:22 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
If Nordstrom/PC turns out to be a success, I'm sure developers/retailers would finally consider the General Post Office site to be downtown's second huge mall.
You will likely see a lot of retail but not in a traditional mall format. It will be a true mixed use development.

One thing to note, if you walk Pacific Centre below Nordstrom you will notice that the expansion space isn't 100% leased, and some of the tenancies are to not entirely optimal tenants (I'm looking at you rockport...). Demand for downtown mall space is not as high as you may believe, and if Canada's most productive mall can't lease out brand new space below Nordstrom, I doubt a mall on the fringe of downtown would be a highly successful venture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'm not sure how easy it would be to tear down and rebuild as there's underground space that's not open to the public. I just asked about it and hopefully will hear something this week.
The Bay Parkade will be torn down. Not any time soon is my guess, as Holborn has their hands full at little mountain, but a full redevelopment is in the cards for that site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2358  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 6:32 PM
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,626
I'm pro-Pacific Centre, but I can't understand the obsession with indoor malls for downtown.

"Our City is fine but, if only we had a massive mall we'd move up the global city charts!" - Said Edmonton in 1979.

Don't get me wrong, I support the growth of retail, mixed use and yes, a certain amount of enclosed mall space. I think that this project in particular was right on to integrate the basement to Pacific Centre (and Skytrain!). Lots can be done in this area for sure in the future.

However, as International Village, and some smaller projects downtown have shown, even the tepid failure of the original Royal Centre vision. There isn't an insatiable demand for indoor malls downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2359  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:22 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,711
I wonder if the viaduct removal will re-invigorate International Village...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2360  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:41 PM
daverraver daverraver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Yes that's what I'm talking about. That's great! That sounds like the opposite of what Nordstrom is doing though.
Yes....I'm sure most don't do that. I hope that the required 'approach' is fine-tuned.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:26 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.