HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5761  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:46 PM
fouroheight68 fouroheight68 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 56
Developer may expand plans for midtown housing

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article34617348.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5762  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 7:02 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
No news on any new projects?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5763  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 11:26 PM
LandofFrost's Avatar
LandofFrost LandofFrost is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
No news on any new projects?
Lots of things are coming along, 700 K is a cleaned out shell now, new streets on R... I need to ride around on my bike and take some pics.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5764  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 2:50 AM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,411
Lots of small projects happening, using infill lots--like the one in the vacant lot next to Benny's at 20th and Q, going up in the shadow of the 500 or so units SKK has planned on 4-5 lots stretching from 19th to 21st along Q Street. A dozen units on a parking lot at 17th and Q Street. Lots of work going on around R Street, inside Ice Blocks, B&G Building and another building at 12th & R across from WAL. The church at 23rd and K was demolished over the weekend, and the owner is facilitating the move of the little house next door to a new site where it will be restored. The building for the site will be an 8 unit apartment building, 3 stories, with 2 small retail spaces on the ground floor along K Street, 6 parking spaces behind the retail accessible from 23rd. Before the new development code and changes to parking minimums, this sort of building would have required multiple special permits for zero lot line and parking exemptions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5765  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:14 AM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Why are zero lot line exceptions needed anywhere in the grid? Or even in East Sac or Oak Park when lots of the commercial developments are already zero lot line?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5766  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 10:43 PM
Mr. Ozo Mr. Ozo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 164
What's going in the lot next to Benny's?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5767  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 4:55 AM
Pistola916 Pistola916 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SAN FRANCISCO/SACRAMENTO
Posts: 634
10-story proposed for 25th and J streets

Whoa!


Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis

A developer has submitted plans to the city for a 10-story residential tower at 25th and J in midtown. More details in the AM

Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis 2m2 minutes ago
More on that midtown tower, called Yamanee. Would be 14 stories. 134 condos in 10 stories. 3 levels parking, 1 commercial. 179 feet tall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5768  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 7:16 AM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Whoa!


Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis

A developer has submitted plans to the city for a 10-story residential tower at 25th and J in midtown. More details in the AM

Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis 2m2 minutes ago
More on that midtown tower, called Yamanee. Would be 14 stories. 134 condos in 10 stories. 3 levels parking, 1 commercial. 179 feet tall.
I really hope this is true. This kind of news (and more of it) I have been expecting in the grid for awhile now.

But again, need more of this in the CBD.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5769  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 4:59 PM
urbanadvocate urbanadvocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Whoa!


Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis

A developer has submitted plans to the city for a 10-story residential tower at 25th and J in midtown. More details in the AM

Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis 2m2 minutes ago
More on that midtown tower, called Yamanee. Would be 14 stories. 134 condos in 10 stories. 3 levels parking, 1 commercial. 179 feet tall.
Make that a 14 story

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ne...d-mixed-use-tower-would-be-midtowns.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5770  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:07 PM
ThatDarnSacramentan ThatDarnSacramentan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,135
Fantastic news. This is what this city needs, and even better that it's adding more people, more energy, and better architecture to Midtown. I only count 11 floors in that rendering, though.

If the "preservationists" want to wage a legal war over a sign from 19-freaking-80, I'll be speechless. I'm sure they could do something with the Art Ellis sign, similar to how they moved the Mercury Cleaners sign on 16th. 1980 isn't anymore historic than 1995 or 2003.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5771  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:11 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
A tidbit from the article:

Quote:
Among the requested entitlements is a deviation from the maximum height code in that neighborhood to allow the building’s full height of 170 feet, 4 inches. That could prove difficult given the relatively short stature of most midtown buildings.
Really? C'mon, after approving this project the midtown building code for high limits should be changed immediately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5772  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:15 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
If the "preservationists" want to wage a legal war over a sign from 19-freaking-80, I'll be speechless.
Wanna bet wburg will make an argument to preserve the building and scrap this project?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5773  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 6:42 PM
ThatDarnSacramentan ThatDarnSacramentan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Wanna bet wburg will make an argument to preserve the building and scrap this project?
I already know the outcome, so I'll stay away from that bet. Are there parking lots in Midtown that could go first? Sure. I don't give a damn at this point. This city's been so backwards and inward facing for so long, there's a part of me that won't believe we actually built a new arena until I've walked through the front door. For all the moaning about endless sprawl in Folsom and Elk Grove, this project announcement is probably the second best thing in the grid after the arena.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5774  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 6:52 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
I already know the outcome, so I'll stay away from that bet. Are there parking lots in Midtown that could go first? Sure. I don't give a damn at this point. This city's been so backwards and inward facing for so long, there's a part of me that won't believe we actually built a new arena until I've walked through the front door. For all the moaning about endless sprawl in Folsom and Elk Grove, this project announcement is probably the second best thing in the grid after the arena.
Yup, and wburg will claim there are many other empty lots that can be the developed before this "historic" 1980s building gets demolished, ignoring the fact that every developer does not own every parcel in the city. Nor is building an apartment building profitable in every party of the grid. 25th and J is a prime location. If I were a developer I would not want to build this in some random empty lot that wburg gives me near loves and fishes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5775  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 6:59 PM
Pistola916 Pistola916 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SAN FRANCISCO/SACRAMENTO
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
I already know the outcome, so I'll stay away from that bet. Are there parking lots in Midtown that could go first? Sure. I don't give a damn at this point. This city's been so backwards and inward facing for so long, there's a part of me that won't believe we actually built a new arena until I've walked through the front door. For all the moaning about endless sprawl in Folsom and Elk Grove, this project announcement is probably the second best thing in the grid after the arena.
I'm all for the proposal on that location, but even if the project gets downsized, which I'm betting likely will due to all the hurdles (preservationist, Midtown Business Association, residents, height limits), the developers shouldn't be discouraged. The lots at 16th and J, K or N streets are perfectly suitable if they want to be on the edges of Midtown. Or move the proposal to the blighted stretch of L street, between 7th and 10th. But like Majin said, they would have to buy the land at a relatively expensive price the further West they go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5776  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 7:34 PM
ThatDarnSacramentan ThatDarnSacramentan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,135
I like this project, even if it gets downsized or the architecture becomes a bit cheaper. Honestly, this city needs to grow up. I won't make comparisons to places like SF or Seattle, with their massive booms, because we're not like those cities. But look at Portland and Austin; they're practically lightyears ahead of us.

We need more projects like this, whether it's tearing down existing infill or on parking lots, because the demand is there. Look at how long the waiting lists were for Powerhouse 16! Hell, I want to live in Midtown, return to some semblance of the life I had in Portland, but there's nowhere for me to go unless I want to try and take on a Victorian! There's all these people, people like myself, fleeing the suburbs, fleeing the prices of the Bay Area, and we're telling them there's nowhere for them to live because we want to save half a faded mural on an alleyway wall of a brick building built in 1965? I hear arguments about preserving Sacramento's "identity." What identity? The one from the 60s-late 90s when this city was compared to the likes of Stockton and Fresno as one of the pits of California? Oh yeah, sign me up to save that!

Whether the older generations of Sacramento like it or not, it's people like me who are the future of this city. I would quite happily tear down most of that stretch of J Street from 21st-29th in the name of development. When I was a kid, growing up, going on trips to SF, San Diego, even New York, I always looked around and thought, I want to bring these things to my city! And then I moved away, lived in Portland for four years, and realized I didn't have to try and put up that kind of fight. I could simply live somewhere that already has what I like, such as Seattle. I look around this city and I see a place that really needs to just grow up, because if it doesn't, it's about to lose an entire generation. See, I went to architecture school not just because I'm passionate about design, but to try and bring great design to my hometown. I know plenty of people who are smart and passionate about making a difference, and you know what? A lot of them left and won't come back because this city can't get its act together. Sure, maybe we can't compete with Pasadena or Seattle, but this city is losing young, passionate, intelligent professionals to places like Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, and Madison, WI.

If a city's priorities become too much about the past and not enough about the future, you doom it to be a stale museum city that refuses to grow and adapt as people and attitudes change. We aren't London or Rome; hell, we're not even Philadelphia. We can't pretend to be a museum city of Victorian homes from the 1910s; they've already got that in San Francisco.

A city is only as great as its people choose to make it. There is an entire generation of young, urban, intelligent professionals who want to make their hometown great, and I say this as one of those who's dedicated their life to that pursuit. I want to, WE want to make Sacramento a great city, and we can be as great as Portland or Austin or even Pittsburgh. Being stuck in a romanticized past of a worse time won't cut it, and if that's where this city ends up, then you can count me, my economic impact, and my community work out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5777  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 7:52 PM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,411
Nope, nobody is going to come to the defense of the 1980s office building, not even me. I'm quite certain that the author of this article didn't bother actually asking anyone in the neighborhood or the local preservation community what they thought before providing this opinion, he just pulled it out of thin air. If they had, that person might have pointed out that the building formerly occupied by Art Ellis is probably at least 100 years old, with a 1940 "retail snout" stuck on the front. That's a different story--but, just 3 blocks away, the church on the corner of 23rd and K was demolished (not enough integrity to be a historic building) and the house next door (a historic building) is going to be moved to a new site and restored. New 3 story apartment building with 2 retail pads coming soon afterward. With the full support of the local preservation community, I might add.

Whether or not the Art Ellis building (regardless of sign, the best place for that is most likely donation to the Center for Sacramento History archives as the business closed a couple years ago) counts as a historic building is another matter. Some architectural historians would consider residential conversion to commercial a hit against integrity, others might say the conversion has become significant in its own right.

14 stories seems a bit tall to me for this neighborhood, and to the zoning code--currently the limit for this block is 8 stories, with a maximum FAR of 3, and max density of 110. This looks more like FAR of 10 or more, density of more like 200+ dua. Housing's great, ownership housing's doubly great. I even like the name. I think y'all are just getting a little paranoid about this stuff.

I suppose I just see other developers snapping up parking lots and vacant lots & building on them, like the SKK proposals along 20th, which also seem to be much more in neighborhood scale while simultaneously being quite dense and adding lots of housing right where things are hottest (existing housing nearby on Poverty Ridge is hitting the $1M mark.)

I'm curious as to the economics of this 25th/J project too; lots of developers have told me that construction above 10 stories triggers all sorts of expensive changes (like sturdier steel & concrete construction, multiple elevator shafts, etc) that don't make sense in Sacramento's market, even downtown (at least that's what I was told when I asked why the hotel tower as part of the Marshall project couldn't be taller--although when the hotel operator told them they needed more space, they added an 11th floor with no problem.) Confusing.

Mr. Ozo: 3 story duplex. Probably for-sale housing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5778  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 8:01 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
wburg, you aren't serious about adding residents to the grid or adding density if this project is "too dense" or "too tall" for this neighborhood. You're a fraud.

Also, KJ is on notice, its time for him to put up or shut up. If he doesn't muscle this project through the planning commissions/historic commissions/etc unscathed and intact, he is also a fraud.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5779  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 8:03 PM
wburg's Avatar
wburg wburg is offline
Hindrance to Development
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
We can't pretend to be a museum city of Victorian homes from the 1910s; they've already got that in San Francisco.
San Francisco is a museum city of Victorian homes from the 1910s (which is odd, because Queen Victoria died in 1901, thus ending the "Victorian era")? Could have fooled me, I was there yesterday and saw lots of newer buildings, in addition to plenty from the Victorian era, as I see in many other cities like Los Angeles, Portland, Denver and so on...so, maybe it's possible to have both at once?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5780  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 8:19 PM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 5,088
Across J street, St. Francis Manor stands 9 floors and was built in 1978. I don't see
this project having trouble being built as proposed unless the market starts to stall
or reverses. Timing is everything... how many proposals big and small were
left on the drawing board last round? The L Street Lofts are still recovering.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.