HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3641  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:48 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the lights at Assiniboine E and UPD are on a camera censor so the Assiniboine traffic only gets a red if someone is there (similar to the ones at Arcola and Lacon).
Is Lacon/Arcola on a camera sensor? Regina Transit drivers used to be able to control it directly - only changed to allow buses across (my mom was on the Transit Advisory Committee & I recall thinking this was super-fancy & hi-tech). I rarely drive Arcola anymore, so no idea how it functions now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
When they were studying traffic for this light, the city put down count strips all the way from Ring Road to Prince of Wales. I suspect this is just about trying to slow down traffic.
When I saw the lights going in at the entrance to the cemetery, I assumed they would be remote controlled for funeral processions (a la Regina Memorial Gardens/Hwy 1).

I fail to see how standard traffic signals on Assiniboine would significantly slow traffic down if they're properly controlled & adjusted for traffic volumes (a BIG "if," I realize).

I would think there's a lot more traffic on Assiniboine that would benefit from a light, than on UPD... only traffic on UPD that would need this light are the vehicles going in/out of the cemetery (other than processions, this isn't a high volume); those turning east onto Assiniboine (decent volume); and those turning west onto Assiniboine (from cemetery - low volume).

Of course, they could poorly time the lights (*cough* Jim Cairns Blvd *cough*) & this would reduce speeds by backing up traffic on Assiniboine.
__________________
@drofmab
     
     
  #3642  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:14 PM
StealthGirl's Avatar
StealthGirl StealthGirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Is Lacon/Arcola on a camera sensor? Regina Transit drivers used to be able to control it directly - only changed to allow buses across (my mom was on the Transit Advisory Committee & I recall thinking this was super-fancy & hi-tech). I rarely drive Arcola anymore, so no idea how it functions now.

...

Of course, they could poorly time the lights (*cough* Jim Cairns Blvd *cough*) & this would reduce speeds by backing up traffic on Assiniboine.
Not positive it's camera-controlled at Lacon, but that's what I had heard.

Yep, I figure they'll turn on the lights next week, badly time them and make the first day of school a gong show all the way down.
     
     
  #3643  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:02 AM
Udon'tknow's Avatar
Udon'tknow Udon'tknow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 360
Malt City

     
     
  #3644  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:24 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
re: the malt city pic........what is that in the pic?
     
     
  #3645  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:23 PM
OOO AHH OGEMA OOO AHH OGEMA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
re: the malt city pic........what is that in the pic?
looks like draught beer taps to me.
     
     
  #3646  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:35 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOO AHH OGEMA View Post
looks like draught beer taps to me.
...without the handles. Here is the first handle...


     
     
  #3647  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 9:06 PM
aberrant aberrant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 246
Looks great!
     
     
  #3648  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 9:23 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOO AHH OGEMA View Post
looks like draught beer taps to me.
That's what I thought, but there are so many....I guess there will be LOTS on tap.
Up to 12 varieties on tap? a beer lovers 🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
     
     
  #3649  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 10:21 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
That's what I thought, but there are so many....I guess there will be LOTS on tap.
Up to 12 varieties on tap? a beer lovers 🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Not that it's a competition (OK, it is, but it's a good-natured one), but Beer Bros will be significantly increasing their taps in September. They currently have 27 taps, and I believe they'll be increasing to 40-45. A goal will be to have at least 12 taps of local (Sask) craft beer available at all times.
__________________
@drofmab
     
     
  #3650  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:08 AM
UPP UPP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Regina, Canada
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Is Lacon/Arcola on a camera sensor? Regina Transit drivers used to be able to control it directly - only changed to allow buses across (my mom was on the Transit Advisory Committee & I recall thinking this was super-fancy & hi-tech). I rarely drive Arcola anymore, so no idea how it functions now.


When I saw the lights going in at the entrance to the cemetery, I assumed they would be remote controlled for funeral processions (a la Regina Memorial Gardens/Hwy 1).

I fail to see how standard traffic signals on Assiniboine would significantly slow traffic down if they're properly controlled & adjusted for traffic volumes (a BIG "if," I realize).

I would think there's a lot more traffic on Assiniboine that would benefit from a light, than on UPD... only traffic on UPD that would need this light are the vehicles going in/out of the cemetery (other than processions, this isn't a high volume); those turning east onto Assiniboine (decent volume); and those turning west onto Assiniboine (from cemetery - low volume).

Of course, they could poorly time the lights (*cough* Jim Cairns Blvd *cough*) & this would reduce speeds by backing up traffic on Assiniboine.
Well, I can tell you that I used to live on University Park Drive 4 houses in from Assiniboine/cemetery. That was 6 years ago. Back then, in the morning the traffic turning right onto Assiniboine would back up about 10-15 cars to the point that it was impossible to actually get off my driveway. I can imagine that it's getting worse. Lots of people from Gardiner Park and even Glencairn use UPD as a thoroughfare to get to the University.

I'm not saying that the traffic light is completely necessary but I'm not surprised they're putting it in.
     
     
  #3651  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:30 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Well, I can tell you that I used to live on University Park Drive 4 houses in from Assiniboine/cemetery. That was 6 years ago. Back then, in the morning the traffic turning right onto Assiniboine would back up about 10-15 cars to the point that it was impossible to actually get off my driveway. I can imagine that it's getting worse. Lots of people from Gardiner Park and even Glencairn use UPD as a thoroughfare to get to the University.

I'm not saying that the traffic light is completely necessary but I'm not surprised they're putting it in.
Sometimes it takes an eternity to turn left onto Assininboine off of UPD. These lights will be a welcome addition to the area IMO
     
     
  #3652  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 4:46 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Sometimes it takes an eternity to turn left onto Assininboine off of UPD. These lights will be a welcome addition to the area IMO
There certainly needs to be a cloverleaf ring for traffic to exit from Wascana Parkway southbound to Highway #1 eastbound --- that's for sure. I hope that traffic counts record activity with regards to time/peak hours vs. an arbitrary 24-hour-type overall traffic count.

The university traffic would certainly justify having a cloverleaf exit.
     
     
  #3653  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 11:45 PM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Sometimes it takes an eternity to turn left onto Assininboine off of UPD. These lights will be a welcome addition to the area IMO
The problem is that these lights will completely screw up the intersection for the 23 hours of the day when it's not needed.
     
     
  #3654  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 2:09 AM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
There certainly needs to be a cloverleaf ring for traffic to exit from Wascana Parkway southbound to Highway #1 eastbound --- that's for sure. I hope that traffic counts record activity with regards to time/peak hours vs. an arbitrary 24-hour-type overall traffic count.

The university traffic would certainly justify having a cloverleaf exit.
Cloverleaf isn't likely. It hasn't been considers in any of Wascana Centre's Master Plans, nor any City or Provincial planning document.

City's South East Sector Plan (and the 2006 WCA master plan) look to connecting Wascana Parkway & Prince of Wales, as well as the Bypass (which at that point was envisioned as connecting up with the Ring Road between Wascana Pkwy & Albert S) as effectively alternative means of getting people out to the east end from Wascana Pkwy.
__________________
@drofmab
     
     
  #3655  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 6:56 AM
Udon'tknow's Avatar
Udon'tknow Udon'tknow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 360
Viterra Building

Here's and interesting article and video on the Viterra building restoration work. Well, more interesting than the current traffic discussion..







http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regina/Viterra+heritage+building+rejuvenated/11319433/story.html

credit: LP
     
     
  #3656  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 1:58 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Cloverleaf isn't likely. It hasn't been considers in any of Wascana Centre's Master Plans, nor any City or Provincial planning document.

City's South East Sector Plan (and the 2006 WCA master plan) look to connecting Wascana Parkway & Prince of Wales, as well as the Bypass (which at that point was envisioned as connecting up with the Ring Road between Wascana Pkwy & Albert S) as effectively alternative means of getting people out to the east end from Wascana Pkwy.
I am pretty sure I saw a single E bound loop on the City's plan.
     
     
  #3657  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 5:16 PM
UPP UPP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Regina, Canada
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The problem is that these lights will completely screw up the intersection for the 23 hours of the day when it's not needed.
Maybe it'll be a sensor light like the one at Lacon and Arcola. That's probably all it would need.

As for the single loop from Wascana Parkway on to Ring Road East. That would pay for itself in a couple years from the drop in SGI claims alone. That left lane often backs up 2km.
     
     
  #3658  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 5:35 PM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Maybe it'll be a sensor light like the one at Lacon and Arcola. That's probably all it would need.
It almost certainly will be but that doesn't change the fact that it will still impede the flow of traffic.

Ideally the light would revert to a 1 way stop off peak but that policy has disappeared.
     
     
  #3659  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:29 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am pretty sure I saw a single E bound loop on the City's plan.
There might be other iterations, but I just see 'Interchange Improvement' at Wascana Pkwy & Ring Road... that could mean a lot of things.
http://www.designregina.ca/wp-content/uploads/TMPFinalDraft.pdf
http://www.designregina.ca/wp-content/uploads/MAP5_TRANSPORTATION.jpg
__________________
@drofmab
     
     
  #3660  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:34 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The problem is that these lights will completely screw up the intersection for the 23 hours of the day when it's not needed.
How exactly would it screw it up? I live in Richmond Place, these lights are needed.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.