Cool new BRT video
While I was watching the Broncos last night... /Yawn
I found this excellent piece
by Ben Wear in the Austin American-Statesman from August of last year. It's about Austin about Portland. It was cool to me as it gave a very good historical perspective of how Portland got started with transit and how they've gotten to where they are today. For example the Feds paid 83% of the cost of their first light rail line. The intent is to compare and consider the growing transportation dilemma in Austin.
The Cookie Monster in the closet
I also spent some time reading a Yonah Freemark piece on City Lab. Didn't care much for his angle but as often the case the comments were either funny or instructive. There was a give and take about whether investing in rail transit to suburbs in "not dense areas" makes a lick of sense.
I figure that by 2020 when RTD is struggling with low ridership on many of the new Fastracks lines while traffic has only gotten even worse that we could see the cookie batter hitting the fan.
Make CDOT our Overlord
I've got it: When the voters are asked to approve an increased revenue stream for transportation improvements, break the election into the five CDOT districts. Emphasize that new revenue can be used to solicit matching funds from the Federal Gubmint. Should one district pass the increase while another one says pass then CDOT can proceed as each district votes. Who wants to be left behind? The revenue should still be allocated partially to counties and municipalities though.