HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9241  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:30 PM
Tetsuo Tetsuo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
They do nowadays. The article I quoted above:


I'm kind of surprised Metrotown doesn't have a fitness club yet. It's got food and restaurants, medical / dental (quite a lot actually - there are 7 dentists). Station Square will add residential and office space (who knows if the Sears proposal will ever happen). Now the question is what's going to happen to the Target space - will it be one big store or broken up into two or more?
Anytime Fitness at Old Orchard, GoodLife at Sovereign, Bonsor Rec Centre and Steve Nash on Kingsway.

The Kingsway gym has been there for age (since the 70s I think>)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9242  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 8:41 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,809
The MetroTower office complex also has a small gym:

http://metrotowerofficecomplex.com/amenities/gym
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9243  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 4:58 PM
TourOdeon's Avatar
TourOdeon TourOdeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 225
Really surprised by the number of fitness clubs all over the region... I guess people are really obsessed about building muscles nowadays
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9244  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 5:29 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
^wow. lmao
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9245  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 8:45 PM
Tetsuo Tetsuo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourOdeon View Post
Really surprised by the number of fitness clubs all over the region... I guess people are really obsessed about building muscles nowadays
Or you know, people want to be healthy.

There has always been gyms, Vancouver just hasn't really seen the chain consolidation that Eastern Canada/USA has experienced.

Really has been one shop operations, except Fitness World.

I'm impressed at Club 16's growth.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9246  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 12:03 AM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
Rumour is Tesla has leased the corner of 4th & Fir in LedMac's Radius development. Unsure if they would keep their Robson street showcase or not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9247  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 1:32 AM
Tetsuo Tetsuo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,382
I wonder how long until they open a showcase in Richmond
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9248  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 1:34 AM
Caliplanner1 Caliplanner1 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 692
Does anyone know when the Marine Gateway shopping mall (at Marpole) and the Walmart at the Royal City Mall in New West will be opened?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9249  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:42 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
Does anyone know when the Marine Gateway shopping mall (at Marpole) and the Walmart at the Royal City Mall in New West will be opened?
All I could find for Marine Gateway is that it's supposed to open in 2015. The Royal City Walmart is looking for employees so presumably it'll open pretty soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9250  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:03 PM
Caliplanner1 Caliplanner1 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
All I could find for Marine Gateway is that it's supposed to open in 2015. The Royal City Walmart is looking for employees so presumably it'll open pretty soon.
Thanks for the feedback Sheba.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9251  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 3:06 PM
vanlaw vanlaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 667
The PriceSmart at King Edward Village (King Ed/Knight/Kingsway) will be converting to a Save On Foods August 28. I think that will leave only four PriceSmart's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9252  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 3:41 PM
theKB theKB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Rumour is Tesla has leased the corner of 4th & Fir in LedMac's Radius development. Unsure if they would keep their Robson street showcase or not.
Wouldn't be shocked if they kept both.

Robson is more of a showcase/order taking centre and the (potential) 4th location will be more towards test drives etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if West Van was also on the agenda as well. Frankly Tesla sold almost three times the number of model S' than Jaguar sold as a brand in Canada so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more showrooms in larger cities. Also with a few new models on the horizon they will need larger showrooms.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9253  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:09 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
I couldn't see West Van. To my knowledge there is only one car dealer in West Van, the boutique Urban Garage, which I don't think has the rights to order any new cars (although I could be wrong). I can't imagine the zoning would be an easy thing to come by.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9254  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:13 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
Would the zoning be as a car dealership though? Is their robson location classified as a car dealership?

Regardless of the zoning I can't see them opening in west van
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9255  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 8:44 PM
djh djh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Would the zoning be as a car dealership though? Is their robson location classified as a car dealership?

Regardless of the zoning I can't see them opening in west van
I think officially they are not a car dealership. By definition, they are not dealers, they are the OEM. And on top of that, they actually do not "sell" cars in their shops. I think they actually are called Galleries. All you can do in them is look at the product, check out the specs and "design" the exact car that you want, and they can take your personal details. But you can't actually buy a car through the shops.

You can buy tonnes of other stuff though, AFAIK. Jackets, bags, accessories...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9256  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 8:47 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
Yea that's what I was thinking. So they wouldn't have any difficulty setting up in west Van as they aren't a "dealership"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9257  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 12:21 AM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
The PriceSmart at King Edward Village (King Ed/Knight/Kingsway) will be converting to a Save On Foods August 28. I think that will leave only four PriceSmart's.
Pretty sure the one at Grandview is also converting to a Save On Foods as well. They have removed all of the asian food and are "renovating". That — pretty bad, as one of the few reasons that I go there is because I can get all of my asian food and western food in one stop for reasonable prices. Hopefully a new T&T pops up to take some slack off of the Metrotown store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9258  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 12:22 AM
theKB theKB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Yea that's what I was thinking. So they wouldn't have any difficulty setting up in west Van as they aren't a "dealership"
I think the zoning issues surrounding a dealership are more towards having a shop where they work on cars and a few other things.

I would say they are a retail store no different than an apple store at best.

As much as there is no to west van, I have seen on a few separate occasions telsa setting up a mini showroom in the outdoor section of Park royal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9259  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 4:10 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Pretty sure the one at Grandview is also converting to a Save On Foods as well. They have removed all of the asian food and are "renovating". That — pretty bad, as one of the few reasons that I go there is because I can get all of my asian food and western food in one stop for reasonable prices. Hopefully a new T&T pops up to take some slack off of the Metrotown store.
the t&t on 1st and renfrew is only about 5 minutes away by car
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9260  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 11:48 PM
officedweller officedweller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Pretty sure the one at Grandview is also converting to a Save On Foods as well. They have removed all of the asian food and are "renovating". That — pretty bad, as one of the few reasons that I go there is because I can get all of my asian food and western food in one stop for reasonable prices. Hopefully a new T&T pops up to take some slack off of the Metrotown store.
So that combined Asian/Western format only worked in Richmond?

They didn't really publicize it though, did they?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.