HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7121  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 11:07 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Anyone know what that large building going up at Stadacona is?
This is Junior Ranks which will be residences and a new fleet club (link below has a rendering);


Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7122  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:13 AM
Ziobrop's Avatar
Ziobrop Ziobrop is offline
armchairitect
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Halifax
Posts: 722
I noticed the dumpster and the hording was gone last week.
I suspect they never got the permit to close the sidewalk. Also a metro transit bus hit it one night, so I suspect the city had enough..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7123  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:01 AM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Sort of have to wonder why they need a dumpster; since it's an empty shell, a small garbage can should suffice.
Queue the bi-weekly Cat9 joke.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7124  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:39 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I wouldn't say "scary" (but then i don't really scare easily) but there's definitely a certain.. sketchiness around the Nova Centre site and Barrington, mostly because parts of the streets/sidewalks have been taken up as part of the site. I'm not positive that plywood would help this at all but mitigating the dust and noise would definitely be a plus for neighbours.
I see what you mean about the sidewalk. I noticed around "The Maple" site yesterday that, yes, the missing sidewalk is definitely a pain. However, IMHO it's kind of nice to be able to look in and see what's going on - it's too bad they weren't able to keep the sidewalk open for people to get a better view. I wouldn't call it scary, necessarily, unless perhaps somebody suffers from acrophobia...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7125  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
I noticed the dumpster and the hording was gone last week.
I suspect they never got the permit to close the sidewalk. Also a metro transit bus hit it one night, so I suspect the city had enough..
The story I read said they did have a permit and that HRM lowered the boom anyway. I suspect there are a couple of sides to this one. Not sure how you solve an issue like this where you have a landlocked site on a busy narrow street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7126  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:32 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The story I read said they did have a permit and that HRM lowered the boom anyway. I suspect there are a couple of sides to this one. Not sure how you solve an issue like this where you have a landlocked site on a busy narrow street.
Once/night you drive up a dump truck and use one of those conveyors and fill up and drive off. But only if the Moes know how to drive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7127  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 9:51 PM
alps's Avatar
alps alps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
It's a barracks/mess for junior ranks, I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This is Junior Ranks which will be residences and a new fleet club (link below has a rendering);


Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
Thanks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7128  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:45 PM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,116
Dutch Village Road

Crane is being assembled on old Halifax West High School site today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7129  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
That seems like a funny problem for a library to have. One would imagine they'd have built it a bit more robustly to deal with that.



Same with the Khyber. In that case, there HAS been a lot of deferred maintenance, and the building no doubt is in rough shape. And I'm worried about the long-term future of the building if the current fundraising effort and Neptune partnership somehow falls through. But it's not like the city's going to bring in the dozers in six months and auction off the lot to the highest bidder or something.
http://newscotlandclothing.ca/products/joel-plaskett-new-scotland-khyber-tee-100-canadian-made
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7130  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:47 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,568
Cool. Plaskett's also doing a benefit concert at the Shore Club in Hubbards in September.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7131  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 2:31 AM
musicman musicman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 270
Saw a bunch of dark blue crane sections coming from Haltern today. Looks to be a shinny new flat top. Hopefully it sticks around here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7132  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 4:03 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,984
Beginning this week, and continuing until the end of September, Argyle Street will be closed from Thursday night - Sunday as part of pilot project to see what the street should look like following the opening of the Nova Centre in 2017.

DowntownHalifax.ca - Argyle Streetscaping Pilot Project
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7133  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 6:23 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Beginning this week, and continuing until the end of September, Argyle Street will be closed from Thursday night - Sunday as part of pilot project to see what the street should look like following the opening of the Nova Centre in 2017.

DowntownHalifax.ca - Argyle Streetscaping Pilot Project
That should be interesting. The street is kind of a pain to drive down on the weekend as it is, so this should make it better for everybody. Hopefully it pays off for the businesses there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7134  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 7:58 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That should be interesting. The street is kind of a pain to drive down on the weekend as it is, so this should make it better for everybody. Hopefully it pays off for the businesses there.
I suspect the businesses will start screaming when they realize people in or wanting cabs cannot get to them and deliveries get obstructed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7135  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 8:56 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I suspect the businesses will start screaming when they realize people in or wanting cabs cannot get to them and deliveries get obstructed.
I'm assuming that the DHBC collaborated with the businesses involved, but admittedly I don't know much about their function.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7136  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:42 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'm assuming that the DHBC collaborated with the businesses involved, but admittedly I don't know much about their function.
I actually think it makes sense to permit cars on the street at all times, but make them share space with pedestrians. A true woonerf/shared street.

But I don't think it should be a huge deal for deliveries. The street will be closed only two-and-a-half days a week, and as for cabs, no one will have to walk more than half a block to get a cab, to the nearest cross-street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7137  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 1:30 AM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I suspect the businesses will start screaming when they realize people in or wanting cabs cannot get to them and deliveries get obstructed.
Yeah, I think deliveries would probably be allowed (likely early morning delivery truck access on weekdays). Makes sense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7138  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 12:44 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I actually think it makes sense to permit cars on the street at all times, but make them share space with pedestrians. A true woonerf/shared street.
Does that actually work well? I would think that cars trying to drive through a mass of drunk people on a Saturday night could be a recipe for disaster.

Not challenging your idea, just asking a question.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7139  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 12:54 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,544
From the CH:

Halifax council tangles with condo assessments

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1300613-halifax-council-tangles-with-condo-assessments


Also:

Council OKs land-use amendment for Burnside office space

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1300686-council-oks-land-use-amendment-for-burnside-office-space
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7140  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 1:16 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Does that actually work well? I would think that cars trying to drive through a mass of drunk people on a Saturday night could be a recipe for disaster.

Not challenging your idea, just asking a question.


There are a number of places where this works--the key is designing the space so that it's obvious that cars must proceed with caution. One way is to lower the speed limit to, say, 20 km/h, but it should be obvious to a driver on the street that this is a slow-go zone. Removing lane markings and curbs and permitting pedestrians to spill out all over the place has the same effect.

Throw a bunch of people together in different transit modes, and they'll figure it out intuitively. I think even drink (most people, after all, aren't going to be falling down all over the place wasted.) If the street is narrow and there's a high volume of pedestrians, cars to slow. Kensington Market is a good example of this, though its streets aren't officially "shared." Pike Place in Seattle is a good example, and surely there must be drunk people there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.