Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy
That was a really cool idea, and it would fit perfectly into the capped Vine Street corridor too. There would need to be something to transition the elevation up to the Viaduct, and what better way than an iconic public building. I would be all for that!
Also, a major selling design component of this would be to spur development on both sides of Vine Street. The Chinatown Community Center, and the LDS projects would be the first ones. But if the capped-Vine-Street corridor where underway, than future developments could be more public space oriented in their architectural design. it would also help draw investment in those developments.
possible developments shown here[/URL]:
|
I like that idea. Honestly, if we had high-rise development on both sides of 676, I don't even think a park would be necessary. Portland has a highway canyon running through the city, and even modest development really buffers its presence.
I still have no qualms with park caps. I'd just rather have development bring the parks, not attempt to have the parks bring development. If we could somehow encourage developers to build more things like the LDS apartments and (hopefully) Eastern Tower, we'd be well on our way to bridging the gap.
I really think it's only a matter of time, I just wish it would happen more quickly. The Loft District is pretty pricy and people are realizing how close it is to Center City. I presume developers are taking note. I have to imagine that East Market and more conventions at the PCC are making hotels take note as well. The day will come when Vine Street is lined with apartments, hotels, and PF Changs. I just wish it would happen before I'm 60