HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 4:47 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post

Photo from Robert Haylock. Originally posted on Historical Hamilton FB page.
I don't remember Robinson's looking like this, but I should as I was a teen when this was taken. I do recall it being covered over with a darker paneling - anyone remember when that was done? (or whether I'm not remembering it correctly)

I think I actually prefer this facade to the older one that had windows. The marble is nice.

And it's too bad the older CIBC building could not have been kept and incorporated into the newer complex.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 5:07 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 12:26 AM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^Very cool.

This is my earliest recollection of the city centre. Yes, it had pretty much lost its coolness factor but it was still the place to shop: Robinsons, Zellers, Kresge's, a booming Jackson Square, Eaton's etc. After Limeridge, the situation got pretty dire in a real hurry.
I remember being about 3-4 y/o going shopping with my mom so, 1986-87..and the flower patterned floor tiles. Such a miniscule memory lol but this was a cool jem to have downtown. I remember there being a walkway from Kresges to Zellers I think? Or was it a tunnel from the basement of Eatons across James St where the toy department was...not sure.

Again, recollections going way back but I remember going downtown with my mom as she ran her arrands to do all the bills.

These pictures are sweet though!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 4:11 AM

Bay Street looking north from Hunter, ca 1963

FB VH - Book:Around and About Hamilton 1785-1985

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 12:37 AM

Taken from on top of the Connaught hotel cira 1965 by J.F.Taylor

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 9:56 PM

Chedoke Golf course

Just curious if anyone has an old scorecard or (clearer) picture of the old Beddoe Golf course before the 403 destroyed it. I can see most of the holes but I never played it so I have no idea what order they were in.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/9433/xBrfX1.png

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 12:54 PM

I grew up playing Chedoke and that picture shows the same holes as the last time I played it. (about 8 years ago)

I can clearly see the 6th hole and the tees for 7 and 12 in the same spot and they all border the highway.

Edit: 14 was shortened about 30 yards and the 15th (cardiac hill) lengthened and made into a dogleg.

The picture is cut off but the bottom left is 16 and I don't see 17.

Last edited by Paul29; Jun 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
August 22, 1972 - A crowd gathers for the official opening of Jackson Square. The Eaton's sign may have been the one that was later reused in the new Eaton's Centre and is still visible today from the top of Jackson Square.

If our memory is correct, the bubble skylights were above Japan Camera.

Gerald Little, photographer
Facebook Vintage Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 1:27 AM

Very interesting photograph. Skylights are gone, I take it?

To what extent was Jackson Sq complete in 1972? You can see what I believe is the old parkade behind Eaton's. And I'm pretty sure the 'new' library and market structure didn't go up until 1980 or thereabouts.

Anyway, I think I answered my own question pretty much...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul29 View Post
I grew up playing Chedoke and that picture shows the same holes as the last time I played it. (about 8 years ago)

I can clearly see the 6th hole and the tees for 7 and 12 in the same spot and they all border the highway.

Edit: 14 was shortened about 30 yards and the 15th (cardiac hill) lengthened and made into a dogleg.

The picture is cut off but the bottom left is 16 and I don't see 17.
Hi Paul if you look you will see no 403 highway and the western edge of the golf course (Beddoe) goes much further west than it does now. The 403 was started in about 1965. this picture predates that. If you look closely you can see the tee of what is now the 7th of The Beddoe was once much further west and the present 7th green was a par three with the tee beside the old majestic tree that guards the right hand side of the fairway at the top of the hill.

Cheers

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahatmose View Post
If you look closely you can see the tee of what is now the 7th of The Beddoe was once much further west and the present 7th green was a par three with the tee beside the old majestic tree that guards the right hand side of the fairway at the top of the hill.

Cheers
You're right, I totally missed the difference on what is the 7th today.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:
August 22, 1972 - A crowd gathers for the official opening of Jackson Square. The Eaton's sign may have been the one that was later reused in the new Eaton's Centre and is still visible today from the top of Jackson Square.

If our memory is correct, the bubble skylights were above Japan Camera.

Gerald Little, photographer
Facebook Vintage Hamilton
Wouldn't those skylights be above where Siren's/Pam's Coffee is in the mall today? Jackson could really take advantage of that roof space by opening it up and letting some light in.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 2:58 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Dollar for dollar the Chedoke courses are the best I've played for a middle of the road player. Some great holes and scenery you only get only get on courses that charge double. I have a yearly tournament and time and again we go back to Chedoke.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Dollar for dollar the Chedoke courses are the best I've played for a middle of the road player. Some great holes and scenery you only get only get on courses that charge double. I have a yearly tournament and time and again we go back to Chedoke.
I was a junior there around '88 until '91ish. I've played a few times since then. Actually, I lived near there around Y2K and I played over 60 rounds. Oddly there were still a few around who remembered me and assumed I was still a member. They would waved me on the first tee without a greens fee. That was a good year.

For a municipal course it's not bad. I'm sure I'll never play there again but there are times I would love to play either course. There are lots of great summer memories there from my teens.

Gone are the days of teeing off before 7 (juniors couldn't tee off between 7 and 10), play a 2nd round after a quick lunch around 11 and having just enough time for a 3rd round before the shift workers hit the course at 4.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 12:55 PM

facebook Vintage Hamilton

Original slide is available from "embitt" on eBay

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
What does that have to do with skyscrapers?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post

facebook Vintage Hamilton

Original slide is available from "embitt" on eBay
King and Ferguson.

What are those dudes doing out in the street? Looks like they're trying to pick something out of the air. Hey man, it was the '70s right? Could be anything...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 11:14 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
King and Ferguson.

What are those dudes doing out in the street? Looks like they're trying to pick something out of the air. Hey man, it was the '70s right? Could be anything...
One of them is a trolley bus driver. They're trying to put the trolley pole back on the wire (you can see that the right pole isn't on the wire). Still happens in Toronto with the streetcars, they come off the wire pretty often.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
One of them is a trolley bus driver. They're trying to put the trolley pole back on the wire (you can see that the right pole isn't on the wire). Still happens in Toronto with the streetcars, they come off the wire pretty often.
I think they're finally upgrading the trolley poles to pantographs with the new Bombardier streetcars

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 12:23 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I think they're finally upgrading the trolley poles to pantographs with the new Bombardier streetcars
Yep, they were delivered with the panto's already on, the TTC has just been dragging their feet upgrading the lines. At least they still HAVE their streetcars though...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos