HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction


Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• New York Projects & Construction Forum

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3521  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 1:53 AM
artspook's Avatar
artspook artspook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: manhattan
Posts: 644
sorry meh_cd . . . misunderstanding post 3507 . . .
by "impossible angle" I thought you meant "totally Awesome-looking' angle" . . .
as in "this building is so SICK !" (great) . . .
But you meant that one & two WTC couldn't both be seen from that exact spot . . .
an illustration accuracy comment . . .
I'm not sure if you could or couldn't see both from there -
But it is a long bridge with many different vantage points along the way . . .
From at least some angles you'd be able see both though . . .
I over-reacted 'cause this building just triggers me . . .
The aforementioned word "monstrosity" seems appropriately referenced.
__________________
artSpook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3522  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 8:30 AM
prageethSL's Avatar
prageethSL prageethSL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tomorrowland
Posts: 11


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3523  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 2:01 PM
drumz0rz drumz0rz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 623
Who is making these renders? 3 WTC has the raised parapet with no spires, but 1 WTC still shows those 3 vertical lines on the top which never happened.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3524  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 2:14 PM
meh_cd meh_cd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
sorry meh_cd . . . misunderstanding post 3507 . . .
by "impossible angle" I thought you meant "totally Awesome-looking' angle" . . .
as in "this building is so SICK !" (great) . . .
But you meant that one & two WTC couldn't both be seen from that exact spot . . .
an illustration accuracy comment . . .
I'm not sure if you could or couldn't see both from there -
But it is a long bridge with many different vantage points along the way . . .
From at least some angles you'd be able see both though . . .
I over-reacted 'cause this building just triggers me . . .
The aforementioned word "monstrosity" seems appropriately referenced.
Yes, I just meant that Tower 2 appears to be rising out of the wrong spot in the Brooklyn Bridge render.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3525  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 3:47 PM
JR Ewing JR Ewing is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ancient Egypt
Posts: 832
Stunning!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3526  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 4:03 PM
Kurtz's Avatar
Kurtz Kurtz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roma(Rome)
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Stunning!

Agree and it is even sumptuous
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3527  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 5:48 PM
JR Ewing JR Ewing is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ancient Egypt
Posts: 832
This is the Age of Ramses, Mr. Kurtz!

PS: I couldn't resist the Heart of Darkness allusion!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3528  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 8:52 PM
Michagain Michagain is offline
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 76
I think the shock and unfamiliarity with this structure, and the loss of its predecessor proposal really irked a lot of folks and will continue until built and seen in-person.

Some renderings are better than others, and the most unflattering view (north face) is shown in the most unflattering render (low-height shot looking up, stretched perspective).

When all is built (knock on particle board), we'll just mostly only see the top half of the building, where it's a little narrower, as well as the base (when nearby).

I was losing interest in Foster's diamonds. Although pretty, the building as a whole as not as unique (as this new design), and didn't project the sense of power and purposeful attitude the new structure suggests to me.

The new structure suggests to me a step in a changing downtown, new architecture, new industry. From some angles the building ties the WTC together. From other angles the building breaks up the "complex" into a neighborhood of mixed shapes.

The new 2 WTC has a kind-of mullet-thing going on, "business in the front, party in the back."

Yeah, yeah, you laugh at the mullet. But, let me tell you, some of the most awesome people in the world wore mullets: physicists (Feynman), artists (Ozzy Osborne), actors (Christopher Walken), presidents (James Polk), economists (Rick Nelson), and local cable tv personalities (Garth Algar).

Generally, we don't like mullets. That's correct. They look silly. But some mullets have achieved respect, and even greatness. Perhaps this building can be that type of mullet.

Last edited by Michagain; Jun 19, 2015 at 8:55 PM. Reason: gramarrr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3529  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 12:19 AM
CoolCzech's Avatar
CoolCzech CoolCzech is offline
Frigidus Maximus
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Stunning!

It reallly will be. Even this render is very rough, not showing the detail of the building and probably the not terribly accurate about the tower's proportions. In every fine detailed render I've seen, this tower looks awesome.

The Hanging Gardens of New York!

It's as if Libeskind's original vision of gardens in the sky will come true, and be awesome.
__________________
http://tinyurl.com/2acxb5t


I ❤️ NY
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3530  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 2:18 AM
JR Ewing JR Ewing is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ancient Egypt
Posts: 832
Good point, CoolCzech.

This is the Age of Nebuchadnezzar!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3531  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 3:55 AM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Closeted Normie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 13,229
This is getting a little too biblical.
__________________
The guy above me designs synthetic hairballs for ceramic cats

Sic semper tyrannis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3532  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 5:30 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,212
I still haven't seen why some people feel the old version is the superior design. I get that they like the slanted/diamond top (itself hardly unique). But other than that, I don't see why they are convinced it is a far superior design...


So here it is,





The slanted roof was a unique feature for New York, more so than Citigroup maybe, but hardly groundbreaking. If we're going to start playing the lookalike game, don't fool yourselves...



_
http://wcs4.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3533  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 6:55 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,737
It's alright. That's about it. I'm not in love with it because it appears too clunky from the North. I prefer more streamlined towers. The glass of the Foster looks far nicer and so is the sleek tower look more appropriate for the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3534  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 7:06 AM
Foosh's Avatar
Foosh Foosh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19
[QUOTE=NYguy;7069262]I still haven't seen why some people feel the old version is the superior design. I get that they like the slanted/diamond top (itself hardly unique). But other than that, I don't see why they are convinced it is a far superior design...

So here it is,

The slanted roof was a unique feature for New York, more so than Citigroup maybe, but hardly groundbreaking. If we're going to start playing the lookalike game, don't fool yourselves...


I was unsure about BIG's building at first but the more I looked at it and understood the concept I have fallen for it... having said that, I too believe the foster design is superior due to the fact that the wedge of light (the diamonds) were designed so that at a specific part of the day the light will not be obscured by any building and will penetrate the the WTC with sunlight shining down on the memorial pools. That in itself makes this building iconic with the tragedy of 911 the diamonds/slice/wedge representation, however you want to call it is a major symbolic respect to the site and all the lives lost.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3535  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 12:07 PM
JR Ewing JR Ewing is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ancient Egypt
Posts: 832
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3536  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 12:56 PM
Kurtz's Avatar
Kurtz Kurtz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roma(Rome)
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
It reallly will be. Even this render is very rough, not showing the detail of the building and probably the not terribly accurate about the tower's proportions. In every fine detailed render I've seen, this tower looks awesome.

The Hanging Gardens of New York!

It's as if Libeskind's original vision of gardens in the sky will come true, and be awesome.
Full agree, for sample half of tip of the roof would be semitrasparent- no reflecting and in this rendering we don't see
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3537  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 1:00 PM
Kurtz's Avatar
Kurtz Kurtz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Roma(Rome)
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Good point, CoolCzech.

This is the Age of Nebuchadnezzar!!
this is the age of Trajan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3538  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 1:02 PM
JR Ewing JR Ewing is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ancient Egypt
Posts: 832
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3539  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 1:30 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Great State of NJ
Posts: 49,407
I'm learning so much history.

I'm a STEM guy so I'm not an expert in history, but sure enough, the skills are being developed. This tower most associated with Nebuchadnezzar.

On the tower, looking forward to better renderings. I feel these don't really show it off as well. More detail, higher resolution.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3540  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 4:40 PM
JR Ewing JR Ewing is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ancient Egypt
Posts: 832
You're the man, Chris.

Let's just be glad that Enrigue from SSP is not on this forum
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:58 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.