HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1361  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 11:11 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
And Just like the Blackhawks somewhere around 2008 2009 it became "cool"to be a riders fan. Even eastern Albertan's jump on that band wagon. If the craze lasts another 20 years I will be impressed but to me the whole riders fandom is just a phase that will pass. They will always have a full building but I dont think the merch sales will keep up for much longer
It was a few years before 2008.....but yes your right. The riders started to win fairly regularly for the first time in a generation (and actually had a few people not leave the province when they turned 18 for the first time in decades) and all sorts of people came out of the woodwork as rider fans and have had had serious case of inflated ego's ever since. We'll see what happens now that the Esks and Stamps are back in their god given role as dominant teams in the west and riders are back as basement dwellers.

The Esks have gone through an unprecedented (for the esks) bad spell in the last ten years (first time since the 60's) and yet still managed to lead the league in attendance for most (all?) years and never had to rely on telethons and gimmicky worthless shares to raise funds. Rider fan will be telling his grandson in 2050 about the 2005-2014 decade where they managed to win....two whole Grey Cups...and doubled the amount of championships they had over the previous *snicker* 100 years.
__________________
Lana. Lana. Lana? LANA! Danger Zone
     
     
  #1362  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 12:11 AM
Oilkountry's Avatar
Oilkountry Oilkountry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,870
Oh god I don't wish anything bad on the riders and I'm not waiting for them to fail at all. All I said was if the fandom keeps up for 20 years ill be impressed. I'm a fan of the CFL as a league not just a team. I'm just pointing out that the riders weren't always the hit they are today. I'm glad the CFL as a whole is doing well and I think the riders fans are a big part of that.

The blackhawks are a completely different story I had so much hope for this years playoffs. LA and Boston were out thank god and then the hawks make it to the finals and ruin everything.
     
     
  #1363  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 12:34 AM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
It was a few years before 2008.....but yes your right. The riders started to win fairly regularly for the first time in a generation (and actually had a few people not leave the province when they turned 18 for the first time in decades) and all sorts of people came out of the woodwork as rider fans and have had had serious case of inflated ego's ever since. We'll see what happens now that the Esks and Stamps are back in their god given role as dominant teams in the west and riders are back as basement dwellers.

The Esks have gone through an unprecedented (for the esks) bad spell in the last ten years (first time since the 60's) and yet still managed to lead the league in attendance for most (all?) years and never had to rely on telethons and gimmicky worthless shares to raise funds. Rider fan will be telling his grandson in 2050 about the 2005-2014 decade where they managed to win....two whole Grey Cups...and doubled the amount of championships they had over the previous *snicker* 100 years.
From this post, it would seem like the ego and butthurt over the loss of the grounds of said ego over the last few years is more on the Alberta side.... And don't worry... the Riders were 8-2 last year when Durant went down... he's healthy again, and we have a decent backup this year in case it happens again. The west should be very competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Oh god I don't wish anything bad on the riders and I'm not waiting for them to fail at all. All I said was if the fandom keeps up for 20 years ill be impressed. I'm a fan of the CFL as a league not just a team. I'm just pointing out that the riders weren't always the hit they are today. I'm glad the CFL as a whole is doing well and I think the riders fans are a big part of that.

The blackhawks are a completely different story I had so much hope for this years playoffs. LA and Boston were out thank god and then the hawks make it to the finals and ruin everything.
The really weak period of the Riders also corresponds to when the league was at its weakest. As long as the league as a whole continues to improve, it's unlikely the Riders would fall back... at the very worst, they'd start to look like an Eastern team. But the new stadium alone will propel the Riders for the next 2 years in the old stadium + at least 5 years in the new... This would make it a 16 year run of strength... getting close to that 20 year mark you're looking for.
     
     
  #1364  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:04 AM
tomthumb2's Avatar
tomthumb2 tomthumb2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Oh god I don't wish anything bad on the riders and I'm not waiting for them to fail at all. All I said was if the fandom keeps up for 20 years ill be impressed. I'm a fan of the CFL as a league not just a team. I'm just pointing out that the riders weren't always the hit they are today. I'm glad the CFL as a whole is doing well and I think the riders fans are a big part of that.

The blackhawks are a completely different story I had so much hope for this years playoffs. LA and Boston were out thank god and then the hawks make it to the finals and ruin everything.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the Blackhawks man. IMO it would have been boring with Anaheim and Tampa Bay. I was hoping for Habs vs Flames, lol or at least Chi vs NYR. Are you just getting tired of watching the Hawks win or do you hate their players?
     
     
  #1365  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 4:52 AM
oiler-dude's Avatar
oiler-dude oiler-dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
I remember in 2005 When the Blackhawks were Drawing 10,000 fans or less until Toews was drafted and all the sudden people who knew nothing about Hockey were diehard Hawks fans Once they stop winning that will be over with. And that's a day I can wait for I cant even enjoy the playoffs anymore. And Just like the Blackhawks somewhere around 2008 2009 it became "cool"to be a riders fan. Even eastern Albertan's jump on that band wagon. If the craze lasts another 20 years I will be impressed but to me the whole riders fandom is just a phase that will pass. They will always have a full building but I dont think the merch sales will keep up for much longer
Chicago was about so much more than a losing team. It was entirely Bill Wirtz running the franchise into the ground, to the point of blacking out home games on TV in Chicago, etc, etc. The Hawks turned around only when he died. He was so hated there they actually boo'd his memorial at a Hawks game.

If Chicago goes back to losing, they will see a dip in attendance, I'm sure, but lets not paint the city of Chicago as a bunch of bandwagon jumping people who know nothing about hockey.
     
     
  #1366  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 6:20 AM
EpicPonyTime's Avatar
EpicPonyTime EpicPonyTime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yellowfork
Posts: 1,168
Question about Rogers Place: are there any plans for the MacEwan hockey teams to use the smaller "community" rink for their games? If I recall, the arena is extremely close to the university and it's never a bad thing for the university teams to have better facilities.
     
     
  #1367  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:00 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,127
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #1368  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:04 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
LOL

Build a real 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 stadium Toronto, and maybe you'll get the prestige matches.

To borrow his example, if all London had was a meccano set metal grandstand hunk of 🞵🞵🞵🞵 like Toronto, then the important games in England would be played in other cities too.
     
     
  #1369  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:12 PM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,776
That article was absolute trash, and im from the GTA.

He says Commonwealth is a joke because it has no history and has a running track and makes reference to the last wwc opening ceremony in Berlin.

Yet has no idea that it too has a running track. And what history does BMO have?? NONE. At least commonwealth hosted that amazing 1-1 draw with Brazil before they went on to WIN the world cup in 94. As well as some other big time events like the IIAF track championships, Donavon Bailey's fairwell.
     
     
  #1370  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:16 PM
bkd bkd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 363
That "article", which I hesitate to even call it, is one of the most asinine, ignorant and petty pieces of drivel I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Quite hilarious in fact.
     
     
  #1371  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:18 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I'm surprised he didn't mention the national shame and embarrassment of holding important matches like England/France or Mexico/Colombia in a small provincial town like Moncton.......

Oh wait, he probably doesn't even know Moncton exists. That explains it.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
     
     
  #1372  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:28 PM
FrankieFlowerpot's Avatar
FrankieFlowerpot FrankieFlowerpot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,478
Kelly is a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 - plain and simple
     
     
  #1373  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:33 PM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is offline
Go Chiefs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 20,180
LOL @ this article.

Even if you follow the article's logic, the game still wouldn't be played at BMO. It would be played at the big O. Biggest and most historic stadium in Canada.

When Toronto builds a stadium worthy of big games (50,000+), then we'll talk.
     
     
  #1374  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:35 PM
prat prat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 44
I'd say Commonwealth Stadium looks pretty damned good!


Source: http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/media/4...rev=9df68d2a-8aa5-4810-925a-1ce70163224c

Especially when next to BMO Field at the moment:


Source: http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/galle...405c-b916-df519fb89a49-bmo-field-toronto
     
     
  #1375  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:56 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ Tell that hack that Beamo looks like the warmup field for Commonwealth Stadium.

On a related note, why are there some rows of lower-deck seats missing from CWS?
     
     
  #1376  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:03 PM
Oilkountry's Avatar
Oilkountry Oilkountry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the Blackhawks man. IMO it would have been boring with Anaheim and Tampa Bay. I was hoping for Habs vs Flames, lol or at least Chi vs NYR. Are you just getting tired of watching the Hawks win or do you hate their players?
Just like LA and Boston I'm just sick of those 3 being in the finals. I wanna see a really good fan base get a shot at a cup. I'm just sick of fair weather fans getting these unbelievable playoff runs while the great American markets and Canadian markets Never seem to make it past the second round. Not that hawk fans or bruin fans aren't passionate.
     
     
  #1377  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:03 PM
bkd bkd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Tell that hack that Beamo looks like the warmup field for Commonwealth Stadium.

On a related note, why are there some rows of lower-deck seats missing from CWS?
For media.
     
     
  #1378  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:06 PM
prat prat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Tell that hack that Beamo looks like the warmup field for Commonwealth Stadium.

On a related note, why are there some rows of lower-deck seats missing from CWS?
Hard to tell even by looking at the high resolution version of our photos, but my guess would be camera platforms.
     
     
  #1379  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:08 PM
Oilkountry's Avatar
Oilkountry Oilkountry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
Chicago was about so much more than a losing team. It was entirely Bill Wirtz running the franchise into the ground, to the point of blacking out home games on TV in Chicago, etc, etc. The Hawks turned around only when he died. He was so hated there they actually boo'd his memorial at a Hawks game.

If Chicago goes back to losing, they will see a dip in attendance, I'm sure, but lets not paint the city of Chicago as a bunch of bandwagon jumping people who know nothing about hockey.
Again I should think before I type. I'm not painting Chicago as a bad hockey city I'm painting the fans outside of Illinois that wear the hawks jersey as bandwagon fans. It just seemed like after 2008 the hawks were everyone 2nd favorite team if not 1st. People from all over Canada were all the sudden hawks fans It's actually annoying. That's why I made the riders/hawks comparison in the first place. Because somewhere around 2008 it became cool to be a fan of those 2 teams even though you have no actual ties to their location.
     
     
  #1380  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:15 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,385
Cathal Kelly is a self-professed troll. No need to turn it into a "Let's bash Toronto" party. (Not that I'm surprised)
__________________
Hope is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.