Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton
That said, I have to wonder if Oakland densifying will result in lowered rental demand to a degree elsewhere in the East End. This wouldn't be entirely bad of course - there's lots of neighborhoods like Bloomfield where people would like to buy but too many units are tied up in rental stock now. But it could spark wider changes across the city.
|
Those statistics above about the rapid growth of the above-$75,000 population, and other similar sorts of statistics involving young professionals, students, and so on, suggest that the market should be able to continue to absorb a pretty healthy flow of new units as long as such trends continue. Of course not all of those people want to live in the East End, but conversely the more new units you add places, the more investment you tend to get in related amenities, infrastructure, places of employment, and so on. In that sense demand for residential tends to build on itself.
Still, obviously at some point a high enough rate of new units coming to market would exceed the capacity of the market to absorb them. However, as of now I think it is possible we are actually still below that rate, maybe way below, such that even further increases in activity will not get us to that point. So personally, I wouldn't count on the demand pressure being taken off existing units in well-located neighborhoods in Bloomfield any time soon.
Indeed, although I would not call it a crisis, we are seeing rent and home price increases at least as far out as Wilkinsburg, which I suspect are driven at least in part by people starting to look for more affordable alternatives to various East End neighborhoods which have moved up sharply price. So I think that shows that this is really a very big effect, which in turn implies that it might not be easily reversed.
Edit: By the way, to provide a little more detail on those statistics, in
gross terms, Pittsburgh slotted right between Philly and Chicago in terms of increase in +$75,000 households from 2010 to 2013:
Quote:
+37,890 - Philadelphia
+34,290 - Pittsburgh
+31,441 - Chicago
|
These days we are used to Pittsburgh scoring well in terms of percentage trends and such, but that ranking in gross terms is really pretty astonishing when you think about. And it would not be crazy to think that Pittsburgh should, in certain market segments, be seeing around the same amount of construction activity as Philly or Chicago (again, in gross, not percentage, terms).
I'm not entirely sure what that would look like, but I think it is a good bet we are not there yet.