Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity
I made the point earlier in this thread about somebody who has the ability to be in activities 5 days a week as an adult and the reasonable takeaway is that it's not a very adult life. In other words, most adults can't and don't live this way so it's not representative of those who have the money to spend. Which is why most adults end up in the suburbs even if they might be those on the inner ring.
|
^^^^^^
This is pretty much the life my wife and I lead...early 40's, no kids, few responsibilities. We live in Sky and still have a car even though I walk to work and my wife takes the bus. If there was no parking at Sky, we wouldn't have bought there, full stop. So even though we live the type of life that brings us close to the 'downtown living without a car' target market, we don't fit.
I truly admire ryopinion in giving up his vehicle, but it would be irresponsible/insane for any developer, at this point in time, to base a large development around marketing to people like him, because it is too small a market and the potential for failure is high.
I'd be willing to bet that Streetside would never have embarked on their reno of the Market/James buildings had they known a parkade across the street was NOT happening. They are indicating as much by mothballing their remaining 2 undeveloped places on Market.