Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad
I would imagine "Northern Ontario" implies a form of political relevance, almost a separate political entity such as North Dakota or North Carolina.
The spelling "northern Ontario" on the other hand implies just a geographic region, similar to northern NS or northern NB.
I imagine the provincial government in Ontario doesn't want to encourage the northern separatists in any manner, shape or form, even down to the level of a single capitalized letter........
|
I was just about to respond to that question and saw your post.
YES, definitely a form of political relevance at play. Many and maybe most here identify with our homeland being Northern Ontario and not just "Ontario." We often don't want to associate ourselves with Southern Ontario for many reasons. I know when I travel across Canada I will always say I live in Northern Ontario. That usually gets me more respect. Otherwise if I said I'm Ontarian, they might judge me as the urban, know-it-all, arrogant Torontonian or Southern Ontario stereotype.
Northern Ontario is quite culturally different from the South. Many political issues are quite different as well. Look at how we vote compared to down South. And the thing we hate the most is when Southern politicians impose things on us that make no sense and are extremely out of touch. Often they will hurt us in severe ways and will be done to score political points in Southern communities. I say we are badly oppressed by the South. We only have about 6% of the province's population but the vast majority of the land. We need control of land use and resource development and to be able to define who we are.
Those are some of the reasons why we use a capital N in Northern Ontario. It is our home and our identity. And yes, quite a few people do want to create our own province. The Government of Ontario of course will do everything to stop it.
I would guess that most here want more power for Northerners but don't want immediate separation.