HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley


    Wave Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:37 PM
Cypherus's Avatar
Cypherus Cypherus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,759
Yes noticed the lights on last night from my balcony. Tower looks nice at night.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:15 PM
AForce AForce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 78
i doubt they forgot to turn them off. Its probably just a part of their marketing...to make people notice the building
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:06 AM
nickinacan's Avatar
nickinacan nickinacan is offline
Traveller Extraodinaire
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by AForce View Post
i doubt they forgot to turn them off. Its probably just a part of their marketing...to make people notice the building
Well it was definitely noticeable last night! Lit up like a Christmas tree! I don't believe they did that with Ultra. Or at least, I don't remember them doing it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 11:50 AM
CoryHolmes CoryHolmes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,031
Tee hee. I noticed that as well and pointed it out to my mother. It seems a huge waste of electricity, but it is noticeable
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 8:59 PM
Caliplanner1 Caliplanner1 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 692
Cypherus, which city is that beyond the tower?......New West????
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:01 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Great photo!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:16 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
Cypherus, which city is that beyond the tower?......New West????
Actually looking north into Coquitlam and the United Boulevard industrial area.

New West would actually be a near 90 degree turn to the left.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:23 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
Posted yesterday by Yellow Fever:

Balcony glass looks okay.
(Not too prominent, so doesn't seem to detract from the curves.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:01 AM
BodomReaper BodomReaper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 987
Great shots from Yellow Fever. Really happy with the execution of this one - along with Citypoint, it proves that Surrey doesn't have to settle for a bunch of poorly-finished grey rectangles like Park Place or Ultra if it wants to experience growth in its town centre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:05 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Tower looks excellent, but townhouses are way too colorful to my taste.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:20 AM
falcone falcone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
Wave a good deal?

Been lurking around this forum, but thought I did pick the wonderful minds here

Thinking of getting one of the 2BR+Den Condos at Wave as a first home for me and my future wife. Got an offer for 320k. Having a hard time deciding if this is a good deal for the area, since the average Surrey apartment/condo goes for 200k+.

Is this a good time to get into Surrey, or should I hold out for the many other condos coming up? If I didn't buy, I would probably end up renting here anyway and wait, probably saving for a larger downpayment. Not sure how much quality there is in Rize is as a developer too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 1:21 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcone View Post
Been lurking around this forum, but thought I did pick the wonderful minds here

Thinking of getting one of the 2BR+Den Condos at Wave as a first home for me and my future wife. Got an offer for 320k. Having a hard time deciding if this is a good deal for the area, since the average Surrey apartment/condo goes for 200k+.

Is this a good time to get into Surrey, or should I hold out for the many other condos coming up? If I didn't buy, I would probably end up renting here anyway and wait, probably saving for a larger downpayment. Not sure how much quality there is in Rize is as a developer too.
It depends. I just looked at up to 10 year old buildings, 200 - 350K. If you want a low rise building you can get a lower price - I didn't see anything in a tower until 250K. Brand new and / or in a tower is going to cost you more. Assuming you weren't looking at one of the lower floor units at Wave, that may be a reasonable price.

Personally I'd wait. There's going to be plenty of towers going into Surrey Central. The bigger the down payment you can manage, the better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted May 2, 2015, 2:15 AM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcone View Post
Been lurking around this forum, but thought I did pick the wonderful minds here

Thinking of getting one of the 2BR+Den Condos at Wave as a first home for me and my future wife. Got an offer for 320k. Having a hard time deciding if this is a good deal for the area, since the average Surrey apartment/condo goes for 200k+.

Is this a good time to get into Surrey, or should I hold out for the many other condos coming up? If I didn't buy, I would probably end up renting here anyway and wait, probably saving for a larger downpayment. Not sure how much quality there is in Rize is as a developer too.
I don't think condo prices are rising that quickly in Surrey Central. At least my last two assessments would back that notion. On the other hand the townhouse I bought just down the road from Surrey Central rose $60,000 in 6 months... My assessment for 1 bedroom Park Place unit, 3 years old roughly, 577 sq ft. is $235k. 1 bedroom.

So 320k is not bad for a 2 bed + den without knowing the exact sq. footage or what floor (aka if it is 650 sq ft and on the 8th floor I'd say it is a bad deal...). I know nothing of Rize though from a development standpoint, and personally I wasn't a fan of the floor plans though that was more specific to the smaller units. I did really like the out-door space but correct me if I'm mistaken, I thought the units were "smaller" than equal units in other buildings to compensate for the larger outside space.

Either way if you aren't pressed to buy at this stage and can save for a larger down payment I'd say go for that. If you can get to the 20% down mark or more you'd be laughing especially if you're planning to start a family once you're married.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted May 2, 2015, 3:39 AM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,167
Don't buy at Wave as an investment. Maybe buy if you really like the look of it and living in that area works for you, but not at a $120k premium.

Surrey is always just about to break out and become something amazing according to some people. It has for 20+ years at least. I'd look somewhere reasonable that's underrated and already on the upswing, like New West.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted May 2, 2015, 4:47 AM
Cypherus's Avatar
Cypherus Cypherus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcone View Post
Been lurking around this forum, but thought I did pick the wonderful minds here

Thinking of getting one of the 2BR+Den Condos at Wave as a first home for me and my future wife. Got an offer for 320k. Having a hard time deciding if this is a good deal for the area, since the average Surrey apartment/condo goes for 200k+.

Is this a good time to get into Surrey, or should I hold out for the many other condos coming up? If I didn't buy, I would probably end up renting here anyway and wait, probably saving for a larger downpayment. Not sure how much quality there is in Rize is as a developer too.
Let's just say that my one bedroom in the Surrey Ultra tower is worth $330,000, as per the "City of Surrey Property Taxation Online Inquiry". You get a second bedroom for less and has better resale value.... . I would head Pinion's advice, though. You are looking at a long term investment with Surrey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted May 2, 2015, 6:49 AM
falcone falcone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks for the comments guys! Yea I been doing a tonne of research about different analyst perspectives, and it seems the consensus is growth will come but probably further on the horizon. Might as well rent a smaller space and take the savings towards a larger downpayment like so many suggested

I'm very new to condos in Canada, but it seems they don't hold up very well over the years. If one is okay with raising a family in a small space, could you conceivably live there for 20+ years and still sell for profit at the end of it?

The place I had a offer on was 778sq ft on the 19th floor, if that helps anyone!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted May 4, 2015, 2:58 AM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Don't buy at Wave as an investment. Maybe buy if you really like the look of it and living in that area works for you, but not at a $120k premium.

Surrey is always just about to break out and become something amazing according to some people. It has for 20+ years at least. I'd look somewhere reasonable that's underrated and already on the upswing, like New West.
You can get some good deals in New West too but around SkyTrain for the same size and age, New West is still more expensive than most of Surrey Central. You can get cheaper but you can get cheaper in Surrey Central too if you buy into lower rise buildings or older apartment buildings. Have to compare apples to apples. New condos in Surrey Central are on average still the cheapest in Metro Vancouver just take a look at MLS.

Also in Falcone's post he said straight out he is looking to buy as a home for he and his future wife. Didn't say anything about 'investment.' I'd agree with you on the investment side that anyone should be cautious, not just in Surrey Central. I purchased my apartment in Park Place back in 2005 and paid 2005 prices + had 20% down + was planning to live in it anyway. It has turned out to be a great rental unit because my mortgage is so low, but today I'd be extra cautious as things are getting a bit hyped price wise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted May 4, 2015, 3:04 AM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcone View Post
Thanks for the comments guys! Yea I been doing a tonne of research about different analyst perspectives, and it seems the consensus is growth will come but probably further on the horizon. Might as well rent a smaller space and take the savings towards a larger downpayment like so many suggested

I'm very new to condos in Canada, but it seems they don't hold up very well over the years. If one is okay with raising a family in a small space, could you conceivably live there for 20+ years and still sell for profit at the end of it?

The place I had a offer on was 778sq ft on the 19th floor, if that helps anyone!
My wife and I found 577 sq feet tight. Our townhouse is 1400 sq feet and we fill it plenty fine with just the two of us and a 4 month old. So if you're planning in the near future to expand your family beyond just the two of you, it may be a good idea to rent and save to buy something bigger.

Just my thoughts. If it's just going to be the two of you for the next 5+ years, then you'd probably be fine with a 2 bedroom.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted May 15, 2015, 9:06 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
By Yellow Fever posted yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted May 15, 2015, 10:27 PM
faston faston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 81
Really cool looking building! Are those 3 level townhouses in front?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.