HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6261  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:05 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
2 hour max parking with enforcement ends up costing the city money more than it makes.

The other thing is the mentality that the people "visiting" Corydon/Osborne are all taking their cars. Talk to people in and around Osborne/Corydon and you will find that a lot of them are there from within the neighbourhood.
Parking enforcement is quite lucrative in and around this area for the city. I see 2-3 tickets handed out for infractions in a 1.5 block area for numerous reasons daily?

I do, I've lived in the Village and Corydon Area off and on for over a decade
     
     
  #6262  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 6:49 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Good to see some money from the city to spruce up facades — my one question though: which SHED storefronts were upgraded last year??

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/L...et-303089901.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1
     
     
  #6263  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:03 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Good to see some money from the city to spruce up facades — my one question though: which SHED storefronts were upgraded last year??

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/L...et-303089901.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1
Centrepoint

Glass House

MTS Centre

     
     
  #6264  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:27 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Good to see some money from the city to spruce up facades — my one question though: which SHED storefronts were upgraded last year??

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/L...et-303089901.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1

The only one that actually comes to mind is The Pint, but then again I am not even sure that is in the SHED.

I am positive that The Pint received a "store front" subsidy though.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #6265  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:39 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Centrepoint

Glass House

MTS Centre

I don't know if you're being serious, but I hope to god you're not.
     
     
  #6266  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:40 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The only one that actually comes to mind is The Pint, but then again I am not even sure that is in the SHED.

I am positive that The Pint received a "store front" subsidy though.
The Pint is not in The SHED boundaries, but who knows how concrete the boundaries were for funding.
     
     
  #6267  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:43 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Maybe O'Calcutta got some money for a new KISS cutout?
     
     
  #6268  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:52 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I don't know if you're being serious, but I hope to god you're not.
Not serious at all.

But, in all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised!
     
     
  #6269  
Old Posted May 10, 2015, 9:13 PM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 675
[QUOTE=buzzg;7020801]Good to see some money from the city to spruce up facades — my one question though: which SHED storefronts were upgraded last year??

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/L...et-303089901.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1[/QUOTE

Some articles I've read mentioned one of the 13 "storefronts" getting a makeover is on James Ave - don't supposed they're going to spruce up the Pumping Station as a quick fix for now? Going up and down James on Google Maps and not sure what other building it could be.

Doubtful the District Condos; could be that 6 door garage building at corner of Lily I suppose. Then on west side of Main, there's the Royal Bank and a building at corner of King - 223 James Ave. Across from that is City Hall and further west is temp PSB parking lot.

Can't figure what it might be unless I'm missing something.
     
     
  #6270  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:11 PM
wags_in_the_peg's Avatar
wags_in_the_peg wags_in_the_peg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 3,858
$2.5 million refresh of The Forks food court is happening, good to hear, much deserved! pics look great, tables made locally, nice chandeliar, no more 1985 TEAL
__________________
just an ordinary Prairie Boy who loves to be in the loop on what is going on
     
     
  #6271  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:14 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Maybe O'Calcutta got some money for a new KISS cutout?

Do they still sell bongs and other related paraphernalia?
     
     
  #6272  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:44 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
$2.5 million refresh of The Forks food court is happening, good to hear, much deserved! pics look great, tables made locally, nice chandeliar, no more 1985 TEAL
Good to hear... it should have happened 5 years ago. Considering that is Manitoba's number one visitor destination it has gone a little stale, and it's certainly a busy place so you'd think it would be worth it for FNP to sink some $ into the place.

Next up it would be nice to see Portage Place get a little refresh. It has aged fairly well so the need isn't dire, but even an updated paint palette and maybe some updated fixtures would make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Do they still sell bongs and other related paraphernalia?
Haha... no idea, I haven't set foot in there for a decade. All that can be said for that business is that it's better than a vacant space.
     
     
  #6273  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:48 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
I went to the Forks last weekend, could not believe how run down it is getting. I'm glad Bindy's is still there.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
     
     
  #6274  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:55 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I went to the Forks last weekend, could not believe how run down it is getting. I'm glad Bindy's is still there.
That's what I mean, it's been basically over 25 years without any sort of overhaul beyond basic maintenance. It's starting to get a bit embarrassing.

What that place could really use is a true farmer's market that is closer to what I understood was the original vision for that place. I wonder if they could carve out maybe 1/3 of the place and turn it into something like that, maybe roughly along the lines of Kensington Market. Given how popular markets are these days (e.g., St. Norbert), I wonder if a smaller market could last on a year-round basis?
     
     
  #6275  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 5:24 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Haha... no idea, I haven't set foot in there for a decade. All that can be said for that business is that it's better than a vacant space.
I apologize for posting such a loaded question..I too have not set foot in this (head shop) for eons.....but it just reminded me of the arcades and storefronts lining Portage Ave some time ago....but of course an occupied retail space is preferable to a vacant store front 9 times out of 10...
     
     
  #6276  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:02 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Next up it would be nice to see Portage Place get a little refresh. It has aged fairly well so the need isn't dire, but even an updated paint palette and maybe some updated fixtures would make a difference.
I disagree. Portage Place opened in the late 1980s and has seen little updating since beyond basic maintenance. While the tile floor is not worn out the colour pallet is so far retro it is due to come back in style in a couple of years. The challenge is Portage Place as a whole needs to re-examine its entire role and figure out where it is going in the next 10 to 20 years. The vacant movie theaters clearly need a long term plan, it needs paint, update floors and other changes to make it an attractive place. It feels like there is a possible role to play as "the place to meet up downtown" especially before and after MTS Centre events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I went to the Forks last weekend, could not believe how run down it is getting. I'm glad Bindy's is still there.
Not any one vendor specifically but in general in has the feel that some of those places invested in their look when they opened approximately 25 years ago and haven't spent any money updating them since. The Forks really needs to put a clause in come lease renewals about general up keep and complete over hauls. If you need to tape over your menu board and have dog eared printed pages as part of your signs you are long over due for an update. Move to mandated digital sign boards that most restaurants are using now to solve some of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What that place could really use is a true farmer's market that is closer to what I understood was the original vision for that place. I wonder if they could carve out maybe 1/3 of the place and turn it into something like that, maybe roughly along the lines of Kensington Market. Given how popular markets are these days (e.g., St. Norbert), I wonder if a smaller market could last on a year-round basis?
The challenge with a "year round farmer's market" is that we live in a very seasonal climate. The vendor that might be selling fresh produce in a month will not have much to offer in February regardless of the location in Winnipeg. Sure they are a great thing in the warm months and they are greatly missed in the cold months but there is a reason they don't work here. What ends up happening is the cold months end up being home style baking and crafts with little to offer in terms of unique, fresh and local food. Over the long term what ends up happening is the market wants to fill those "vacant" stalls in winter and establishes permanent, year round vendors leaving little or no room for the seasonal produce vendors.
     
     
  #6277  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 7:53 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
I'm thinking The Forks may have a rebrand up their sleeves, and are being quiet about it. I've long thought all of the branded signage needs replacing. That 25th anniversary sign that was on the Inn at the Forks for a while hinted that may be coming, it was really cool. My guess: they're gonna do a big update of all aspects as the parking lot development starts to roll out.

As for Farmer's Market, I think it will for sure work — but not year round until some of the residential goes up. I also think that's why Forks Market hasn't been touched in years, it seems something big is just around the corner. No sense doing something without thinking of the long term vision for the whole area.

Plus, with Finn's being bought and gutted, new Travel Manitoba and both (new) museums... it's perfect timing to rejuvenate.
     
     
  #6278  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 8:45 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Plus, with Finn's being bought and gutted,
I noticed that Finn's was closed and was surprised by that. Do you know who might be going in there?
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #6279  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 10:15 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I noticed that Finn's was closed and was surprised by that. Do you know who might be going in there?
I don't know who's going in yet, will update when I do, but I know that they've completely gutted the entire space (including Dingos) and have removed the staircase to Spaghetti Factory and closed up the whole.
     
     
  #6280  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 8:49 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I went to the Forks last weekend, could not believe how run down it is getting. I'm glad Bindy's is still there.
It's been a mish mash for years and slowly became tired and run down, trouble with the Forks is that it lacks an identity which is what it needs to strive for.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.