HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7981  
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 2:48 PM
circle33's Avatar
circle33 circle33 is online now
Has been
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 4,938
Broadway has been invaded by a swarm of red "B"'s.
The nearly completed 612 Main gracing the background.

__________________
signature
     
     
  #7982  
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:03 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,534
Nice. I like them.

612 Main Street turned out nicely as well.
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #7983  
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:48 PM
circle33's Avatar
circle33 circle33 is online now
Has been
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 4,938
Yea, they are different yet practical (though the tree guards were pretty good for locking a bike to as well). The metallic nut/bolt against the red looks a little clunky. I wonder if that will be addressed.
__________________
signature
     
     
  #7984  
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:58 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,534
Yeah, if there were caps over the bolts, they'd be perfect. Would rather seee them spaced away from the trees/tree guards too.
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #7985  
Old Posted May 5, 2015, 3:40 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,534
A peek inside the Gordon Oakes-Red Bear Student Centre at the U of S:



http://words.usask.ca/news/2015/04/29/centre-of-support/
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #7986  
Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:20 PM
Toontone Toontone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 85
Our history.

www.lighthousesaskatoon.org/about/history/

Interesting history. Strange how in just over 100 years we can create a beautiful building and then turn it in to something resembling a box.

(not sure if this will work as a live link you may have to cut and paste)
     
     
  #7987  
Old Posted May 5, 2015, 5:18 PM
Arts Arts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontone View Post
www.lighthousesaskatoon.org/about/history/

Interesting history. Strange how in just over 100 years we can create a beautiful building and then turn it in to something resembling a box.

(not sure if this will work as a live link you may have to cut and paste)
Does anyone know if the original brick exterior is still there under the cladding that was put on this building in the 70s?
     
     
  #7988  
Old Posted May 5, 2015, 9:43 PM
saskatoonborn saskatoonborn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontone View Post
www.lighthousesaskatoon.org/about/history/

Interesting history. Strange how in just over 100 years we can create a beautiful building and then turn it in to something resembling a box.

(not sure if this will work as a live link you may have to cut and paste)
I don't think it looks so bad now, since the last reno. Albeit the 1970's version was just an ugly box.
     
     
  #7989  
Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:06 AM
EpicPonyTime's Avatar
EpicPonyTime EpicPonyTime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yellowfork
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
I don't think it looks so bad now, since the last reno. Albeit the 1970's version was just an ugly box.
As I said a few months ago, the changes to this building have to be up there as one of the worst architectural crimes committed in this city.
     
     
  #7990  
Old Posted May 7, 2015, 9:02 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,534
Reading through City committee agendas, I found a report about the re-use of the parking meter posts as bike racks. It appears that there will be one particularly interesting design implemented in places, where the posts will be adapted with a bike rack, small tabletop, and folding seat. Looks interesting....

Report starts on page 5, images follow: https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/default/f...ees/agendas-minutes/2015/a_tr_110515.pdf
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #7991  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:24 PM
Wyku Wyku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 534
City scales back lot availability
Saskatoon land plans to offer 545 lots for sale throughout 2015, rather than the 2,025 that was originally planned.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/business/City+scales+back+availability/11039690/story.html

"Saskatoon Land is also postponing plans to make lots available this year in two new west-side neighbourhoods, Elk Point and Kensington.

Single-family lot inventory currently sits at 1,862, the largest chunk of which is located in Kensington (801 lots)."

They'll steamroll ahead on more neighborhoods on the East/Northeast though... I guess they haven't done a good job of promoting those neighborhoods, Kensington especially. Having such poor access to Kensington probably isn't helping matters.
     
     
  #7992  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:15 PM
saskatoonborn saskatoonborn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 297
Honestly I wouldnt want to buy a new house in the city anyway. I hate the tiny lots and they just keep getting smaller. I saw one that after putting a moderate deck on had about 4 feet between the deck and the garage and its not like they put the extra space in the front. Completely offputting.

Honestly yards are so tiny in some of the Kensington yards for example that you may as well just hold out for one of the big condo developments downtown and buy one with a porch. I know most people here are game for high density city but I hate the track housing look and the tiny yards. I know that a big chunk of it has to do with land cost. I can't be the only one here that doesn't like it.

Sorry for the rant. Haha this has been a concern of mine for awhile.
     
     
  #7993  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:21 PM
Wyku Wyku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Honestly I wouldnt want to buy a new house in the city anyway. I hate the tiny lots and they just keep getting smaller. I saw one that after putting a moderate deck on had about 4 feet between the deck and the garage and its not like they put the extra space in the front. Completely offputting.

Honestly yards are so tiny in some of the Kensington yards for example that you may as well just hold out for one of the big condo developments downtown and buy one with a porch. I know most people here are game for high density city but I hate the track housing look and the tiny yards. I know that a big chunk of it has to do with land cost. I can't be the only one here that doesn't like it.

Sorry for the rant. Haha this has been a concern of mine for awhile.
Yup, totally agree as well. Just look at the row of houses in the picture at the top of that article--brutal! The land cost for the lot is pretty outrageous, small lot or "large" lot, but the pricing seems to be driving the small lots:

"Lots are becoming too expensive, and many are opting for smaller lots because that's all they can afford, he noted.

Saskatoon Land's annual report backs up Mah's assertion. The average cost of a lot in Saskatoon has dropped from a high of $137,503 in 2013 to $134,872 due to increased demand for smaller lots."
     
     
  #7994  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:32 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,534
Meter poles to be reborn as folding chairs, racks

By Andrea Hill, The Starphoenix May 8, 2015



Quote:
Dozens of obsolete parking meters in Saskatoon's downtown, Riversdale and Broadway areas could be converted into bike racks and folding chairs by mid-July.

In a report heading to council's transportation committee Monday, city administrators lay out plans for a pilot project to convert 45 parking meter posts into bike racks. Up to 16 of those will also serve as "pedestrian amenity stations" with folddown seats and table tops.

Brent Penner, executive director of the downtown business improvement district, said he's glad the city is investing in bike racks - albeit somewhat belatedly.

"Having something in place soon would be really ideal. I mean, we're already into May and, for a lot of cyclists, the cycling season is not all year long," he said.

"The city knew long ago that they were changing out the parking meter heads and, to me, it would have been nice if these two projects had been a little more closely aligned."

[....]
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/saska...folding+chairs+racks/11039675/story.html
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #7995  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:15 PM
prairieguy prairieguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,574
I am all for the bike racks, but personally feel the "folding seat" is a complete waste of money and may be impractical to use anyway, once a bike is locked up against it. Would rather see the $$$ for the folding seat go into further bike lane infrastructure; cleaning/sweeping existing bike sharrows of gravel; or bike education.

I do credit the city for thinking innovative, but feel they missed the mark on this one. Is there an example of these being a great success elsewhere??

Just my own opinion.
     
     
  #7996  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:19 PM
Wyku Wyku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am all for the bike racks, but personally feel the "folding seat" is a complete waste of money and may be impractical to use anyway, once a bike is locked up against it. Would rather see the $$$ for the folding seat go into further bike lane infrastructure; cleaning/sweeping existing bike sharrows of gravel; or bike education.

I do credit the city for thinking innovative, but feel they missed the mark on this one. Is there an example of these being a great success elsewhere??

Just my own opinion.
Maybe they'll be useful if they're by the normal food truck stops?
     
     
  #7997  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:37 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
I would argue just the opposite. Lots are still a bit too large and the city is effectively selling them at a loss.
     
     
  #7998  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:45 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,534
I dunno. I'm on the fence about the seats. They're going above the bare minimum required, but I'm interested in seeing a few piloted to see how they function and are used. Sounds like the majority of retrofits will just be the standard bike rack piece anyway. These kinds of interesting/innovative new uses of our public space and public infrastructure are worth exploring, IMO.
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #7999  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:48 PM
marclikeschicken marclikeschicken is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
New Franchise

I heard through a reliable source that Smoke's Poutinerie has finally found a location and finalized the deal in the Downtown core! I'm really excited for this place! I'm told its somewhere by Winston's and Hudson's.
     
     
  #8000  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:46 PM
scotty c scotty c is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Honestly I wouldnt want to buy a new house in the city anyway. I hate the tiny lots and they just keep getting smaller. I saw one that after putting a moderate deck on had about 4 feet between the deck and the garage and its not like they put the extra space in the front. Completely offputting.

Honestly yards are so tiny in some of the Kensington yards for example that you may as well just hold out for one of the big condo developments downtown and buy one with a porch. I know most people here are game for high density city but I hate the track housing look and the tiny yards. I know that a big chunk of it has to do with land cost. I can't be the only one here that doesn't like it.

Sorry for the rant. Haha this has been a concern of mine for awhile.
We just bought a new house in Kensington and are moving in later in the summer. Compared to our current house in Fairhaven the lot is the same depth but we lose about 14' of width in the lot. So while there are some lane homes with garages in back that don't have much of a yard I personally end up losing about 600 sq ft of lawn area in total. Which depending on how we end up doing landscaping most of that can be made up by less planting areas etc.

I'm not as big of a proponent of density as most on this forum but I don't know how you have dense, walkable development while maintaining huge yards the math just can't work in my brain.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.