HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:58 PM
Tropics Tropics is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Reroute to where?
About 40 feet underground~
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 3:38 AM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
There were talks this one might get capped. Looks like they've leased about 125k sf of the east tower, close to 40% of the gross building area so don't see it stopping. If only GWL gets that hotel going across the street.

http://www.altusinsite.com/en/index.php?...0_2=100%2C000&searchbasicbtn1=Find+Space
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:16 AM
RyLucky's Avatar
RyLucky RyLucky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
There were talks this one might get capped. Looks like they've leased about 125k sf of the east tower, close to 40% of the gross building area so don't see it stopping. If only GWL gets that hotel going across the street.

http://www.altusinsite.com/en/index.php?...0_2=100%2C000&searchbasicbtn1=Find+Space
I hope it pulls through, but I can see the economic case for capping 1 tower for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 7:07 PM
*Stardust* *Stardust* is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
There were talks this one might get capped. Looks like they've leased about 125k sf of the east tower, close to 40% of the gross building area so don't see it stopping. If only GWL gets that hotel going across the street.

http://www.altusinsite.com/en/index.php?...0_2=100%2C000&searchbasicbtn1=Find+Space
I really like this project, but I was hoping it would get capped and then one day put something really tall there. The floor plate seems big enough to accommodate a condo tower or something around 150m?

I'm not a fan of how tall the buildings are north of CPR tracks and then once you reach beltline it's a dramatic drop. It would make the skyline look nicer looking at it from the west to have the buildings taper off in height.

That's just being nitpicky though :p I love Place 10
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 7:48 PM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
I hope it pulls through, but I can see the economic case for capping 1 tower for sure.
That's right, they're only marketing the east tower as far as i can tell. west tower will be built to grade and capped, ready to go the next cycle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:07 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is online now
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
I really like this project, but I was hoping it would get capped and then one day put something really tall there. The floor plate seems big enough to accommodate a condo tower or something around 150m?

I'm not a fan of how tall the buildings are north of CPR tracks and then once you reach beltline it's a dramatic drop. It would make the skyline look nicer looking at it from the west to have the buildings taper off in height.

That's just being nitpicky though :p I love Place 10
I agree with you. I don't like the "cliff" effect of the towers on 9th giving way to lowrises in the Beltline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 3:15 AM
bt04ku's Avatar
bt04ku bt04ku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
That's right, they're only marketing the east tower as far as i can tell. west tower will be built to grade and capped, ready to go the next cycle.
Could it become a tall residential tower or is its potential height basically set with how the foundation was built?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 9:57 PM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
Could it become a tall residential tower or is its potential height basically set with how the foundation was built?
If they wanted to instead of the west tower sure they could. I'm sure the load bearing capacity is high given the size of the pit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 6:46 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
Could it become a tall residential tower or is its potential height basically set with how the foundation was built?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
If they wanted to instead of the west tower sure they could. I'm sure the load bearing capacity is high given the size of the pit.
The west side of the site hasn't been excavated, they could build whatever they wanted on it. They could also do that on the east tower (currently U/C) however they would be more restricted in floor plate. They did a similar thing across the street (residential to commercial switch) after the parkade was built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted May 30, 2015, 5:11 PM
Design-mind's Avatar
Design-mind Design-mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,652
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted May 31, 2015, 12:18 AM
AaronMak AaronMak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I agree with you. I don't like the "cliff" effect of the towers on 9th giving way to lowrises in the Beltline.
I actually really like the cliff effect. TBH i think it would look even better if there cliff effect carried on further to the west and a bit more to the east. It sort of reminds me of the "wall effect" you get while looking at dt Vancouver from Stanley Park. Plus it really drives home the neighbourhood difference between dt and the beltline. They are different neighbourhoods and should feel as such.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted May 31, 2015, 4:37 AM
RyLucky's Avatar
RyLucky RyLucky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,498
^Great vantage of Place 10. To me it looks like they've excavated for the entire east tower and about half of the west block. I wonder what the rationale was there. Why not only do the East Block?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted May 31, 2015, 2:49 PM
evolv evolv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
^Great vantage of Place 10. To me it looks like they've excavated for the entire east tower and about half of the west block. I wonder what the rationale was there. Why not only do the East Block?
My guess is that they had to excavate more to accommodate the parking ramps
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted May 31, 2015, 6:03 PM
RyLucky's Avatar
RyLucky RyLucky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolv View Post
My guess is that they had to excavate more to accommodate the parking ramps
Oh yeah, I guess that makes sense. THanks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted May 31, 2015, 7:39 PM
Blue_Cypress's Avatar
Blue_Cypress Blue_Cypress is offline
Snarkotron
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mount Pleasant, Calgary
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
If they wanted to instead of the west tower sure they could. I'm sure the load bearing capacity is high given the size of the pit.
It doesn't work like that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted May 31, 2015, 7:40 PM
Blue_Cypress's Avatar
Blue_Cypress Blue_Cypress is offline
Snarkotron
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mount Pleasant, Calgary
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
^Great vantage of Place 10. To me it looks like they've excavated for the entire east tower and about half of the west block. I wonder what the rationale was there. Why not only do the East Block?
Shoring is the expensive. Why shore when you can cut back, then build, and backfill later?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted May 31, 2015, 8:02 PM
mersar's Avatar
mersar mersar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 10,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
^Great vantage of Place 10. To me it looks like they've excavated for the entire east tower and about half of the west block. I wonder what the rationale was there. Why not only do the East Block?
I think that image is a bit of an optical illusion due to the angle. The excavated out the east tower and below the podium, the west tower footprint I don't believe they've excavated much that won't be backfilled based on views I've seen from other angles, and what they have excavated is pretty sloped as it was only needed to allow them to easier build the wall on the west edge of the phase 1 parkade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:20 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.