HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #12581  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 8:54 PM
DKNewYork DKNewYork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 500
I stayed at the Hotel Monaco last week. Kudos to Kimpton---the hotel is beautiful. Our room was great and the public spaces, particularly the ballrooms, were well-done. Didn’t eat at The Commoner but had a drink at the bar. Very attractive room. Could not access the roof deck, which I heard opens sometime next month.

In Wilkinsburg, a section of the Falconhurst roof did indeed collapse a few weeks back. The collapse destabilized a side wall, which was then deconstructed from the second to fourth floors. To protect the historic tax credits, the wall must be rebuilt with the original bricks so those are being cleaned of mortar. The last governmental approval is due in early June, which allows the final $70,000+ of tax credits to be approved. Construction is expected to begin in July. Renovation of the apartment building on Rebecca should start sooner.

The concern about losing the tax credits due to the proposed vehicular cut-outs at the Produce Terminal is real. Apparently the numbers are being reworked to determine if the project can be pulled together without the credits. Sounds like this is part of the reason that Rubino has been nudged aside. Why not pedestrian-only cut-throughs? Line them up with the two planned north-south streets in the Buncher plan, have ramps and grand stairs to lead up to them from both sides, no need to cut through the Terminal’s slab, less destruction of the facades. Seems to me that opening Smallman to the river and Buncher development need not include cars. Pedestrians will suffice. The cars can drive around the Terminal and access Buncher from the east or west.

Learned why there has been little news about the Forbes Hotel. The Granite Building’s façade easement is held by a Philly group (original developer is from Philly) and the group is not fond of the hotel plan.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12582  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:06 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
I stayed at the Hotel Monaco last week. Kudos to Kimpton---the hotel is beautiful. Our room was great and the public spaces, particularly the ballrooms, were well-done. Didn’t eat at The Commoner but had a drink at the bar. Very attractive room. Could not access the roof deck, which I heard opens sometime next month.
I've been hearing nothing but good things from visitors, and also that they are doing great business.

Quote:
Construction is expected to begin in July. Renovation of the apartment building on Rebecca should start sooner.
Excellent!

Quote:
Why not pedestrian-only cut-throughs? Line them up with the two planned north-south streets in the Buncher plan, have ramps and grand stairs to lead up to them from both sides, no need to cut through the Terminal’s slab, less destruction of the facades. Seems to me that opening Smallman to the river and Buncher development need not include cars. Pedestrians will suffice. The cars can drive around the Terminal and access Buncher from the east or west.
Agreed.

Quote:
Learned why there has been little news about the Forbes Hotel. The Granite Building’s façade easement is held by a Philly group (original developer is from Philly) and the group is not fond of the hotel plan.
I thought the design was OK, but I could see not liking it. However, what would be an alternative plan for the building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12583  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:09 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Word.
Preservation Pittsburgh has, but PHLF couldnt give a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 for whatever reason, mainly because Arthur Zeigler no longer really cares about preservation but instead money, and PHLF is basically the only preservation group which anyone in the city government listens to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12584  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:11 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
I stayed at the Hotel Monaco last week. Kudos to Kimpton---the hotel is beautiful. Our room was great and the public spaces, particularly the ballrooms, were well-done. Didn’t eat at The Commoner but had a drink at the bar. Very attractive room. Could not access the roof deck, which I heard opens sometime next month.

In Wilkinsburg, a section of the Falconhurst roof did indeed collapse a few weeks back. The collapse destabilized a side wall, which was then deconstructed from the second to fourth floors. To protect the historic tax credits, the wall must be rebuilt with the original bricks so those are being cleaned of mortar. The last governmental approval is due in early June, which allows the final $70,000+ of tax credits to be approved. Construction is expected to begin in July. Renovation of the apartment building on Rebecca should start sooner.

The concern about losing the tax credits due to the proposed vehicular cut-outs at the Produce Terminal is real. Apparently the numbers are being reworked to determine if the project can be pulled together without the credits. Sounds like this is part of the reason that Rubino has been nudged aside. Why not pedestrian-only cut-throughs? Line them up with the two planned north-south streets in the Buncher plan, have ramps and grand stairs to lead up to them from both sides, no need to cut through the Terminal’s slab, less destruction of the facades. Seems to me that opening Smallman to the river and Buncher development need not include cars. Pedestrians will suffice. The cars can drive around the Terminal and access Buncher from the east or west.

Learned why there has been little news about the Forbes Hotel. The Granite Building’s façade easement is held by a Philly group (original developer is from Philly) and the group is not fond of the hotel plan.
Do you work for a real estate development company either locally or out of area?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12585  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:27 PM
DKNewYork DKNewYork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I thought the design was OK, but I could see not liking it. However, what would be an alternative plan for the building
I'm told that the Philly people did not like that the top two stories of the modern addition (proposed for the site of the Arby's) were built onto the Granite Building roof.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12586  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 10:31 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Preservation Pittsburgh has
They could file an historic designation application, but have not done so. Their line has been they are trying to negotiate with Point Park, but meanwhile Point Park is starting demo. So what are they waiting for?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12587  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 10:31 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
I'm told that the Philly people did not like that the top two stories of the modern addition (proposed for the site of the Arby's) were built onto the Granite Building roof.
I could see that being an issue. So it wasn't that it was a hotel per se?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12588  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:14 AM
DKNewYork DKNewYork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I could see that being an issue. So it wasn't that it was a hotel per se?
My understanding is that the issue is new construction, visible from the street, that is atop the old building. Too bad. I liked the addition, which was all glass and I believe was to contain a restaurant. I didn't hear that the desired usage was an issue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12589  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:52 PM
nfalvo11 nfalvo11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Thanks for the troll post, nfalvo.
It's really not meant to come across as a troll post, I am rooting for pittsburgh like everyone else here. I have just lived in a lot of higher development metros domestically and abroad and I guess I would just love to see that in Pittsburgh. It's just my opinion that a lot of the current projects don't go far enough, the civic arena development is probably the one that most represents my frustration.

I guess it was a little harsh what I said so I do apologize for that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12590  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 1:05 PM
Wiz Khalifa Wiz Khalifa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfalvo11 View Post
It's really not meant to come across as a troll post, I am rooting for pittsburgh like everyone else here. I have just lived in a lot of higher development metros domestically and abroad and I guess I would just love to see that in Pittsburgh. It's just my opinion that a lot of the current projects don't go far enough, the civic arena development is probably the one that most represents my frustration.

I guess it was a little harsh what I said so I do apologize for that.
I don't know how you could claim to be a reader of this thread and not realize the incredible change that Pittsburgh is going through right now. Maybe these new developments don't all individually qualify as "mega projects" to you (although Almono most certainly is), but so what?

Many of these larger (and smaller) projects are happening in concentrated areas in a couple of neighborhoods, so their net effect on the area will be as if they were a "mega project" anyway.

I would rather have a handful of large projects in close proximity to each other than a single "mega" development. The slightly smaller projects will blend in better with the urban fabric and collectively have a greater effect on maximizing the potential of the neighborhoods they are in. The mega projects should stay downtown for the most part.

You are also trying to compare a metro area that has seen population decline and stagnant development for decades with places that have maintained their density and have been adding population consistently to an already cosmopolitan base over the years. It would make more sense at this point to compare Pittsburgh with it's rust belt peer cities and the like, then you would see just how far ahead of the pack things are improving here compared to places that also recently experienced major economic and population contraction issues.

Last edited by Wiz Khalifa; Apr 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12591  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 1:45 PM
nfalvo11 nfalvo11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Good point to compare against rust rust belt cities, I have been living in HK the last few years so I guess my opinions are distorted to reality.

You guys are a tough crowd, I will stay on the sidelines from here on out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12592  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 1:55 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
KDKA had another story about bike lanes today and as per usual a bunch of morons were complaining that the bikes lanes are completely useless and that bikers should get off the road, yeah thats why theres bike lanes you morons. I swear, this city would be so much better off if they just shipped all those wannabee Florida residents down there on mass bus exoduses since thats what they want so badly.

I really wonder what the actual percentage of supporters versus idiots who hate bike lanes for no reason is in this city and if most of the complainers are just suburbanites and or people from Mt. Pleasant who come into the city once a month to watch some sports game.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12593  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 2:02 PM
TBone7281 TBone7281 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfalvo11 View Post
Good point to compare against rust rust belt cities, I have been living in HK the last few years so I guess my opinions are distorted to reality.

You guys are a tough crowd, I will stay on the sidelines from here on out.
Don't let them get to you. They are a cranky bunch, never happy. I don't really think you're saying anything different than what the majority of this thread is filled with.

"This infill is a travesty, why would you use corrugated metal as siding, why demolish this historic whatever, I wish it was taller, etc. etc. etc."

Everyone on here wants bigger and better, i think you just touched a nerve.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12594  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 2:29 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
KDKA had another story about bike lanes today and as per usual a bunch of morons were complaining that the bikes lanes are completely useless and that bikers should get off the road, yeah thats why theres bike lanes you morons. I swear, this city would be so much better off if they just shipped all those wannabee Florida residents down there on mass bus exoduses since thats what they want so badly.

I really wonder what the actual percentage of supporters versus idiots who hate bike lanes for no reason is in this city and if most of the complainers are just suburbanites and or people from Mt. Pleasant who come into the city once a month to watch some sports game.
Fortunately most of the people who comment on local news websites don't actually live in the city and can't vote on bike lanes.

You are correct, being against bikes on the road and also against bike lanes is logically inconsistent but they just think that everyone should drive a car or preferably a truck and don't understand why anyone would want to walk or bike.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12595  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:17 PM
nfalvo11 nfalvo11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Don't let them get to you. They are a cranky bunch, never happy. I don't really think you're saying anything different than what the majority of this thread is filled with.

"This infill is a travesty, why would you use corrugated metal as siding, why demolish this historic whatever, I wish it was taller, etc. etc. etc."

Everyone on here wants bigger and better, i think you just touched a nerve.

Thanks Tbone, I was feeling pretty bad about myself haha... I agree with you, I have seen plenty of discontent on this thread. I guess I was just very blunt about it.

There is plenty to be thankful about, there is development and when compared to the rustbelt PGH is a shiny gem. I have just lived abroad in Asia and lived in some of the more densely populated cities in the US and with that backdrop in my mind, I tend to get frustrated when I hear of all the small projects going on back at home or the conservative nature of some of the projects. And before anyone else tries punching me again I am very aware Asia growth is not comparable to US growth.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12596  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:01 PM
Wiz Khalifa Wiz Khalifa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
KDKA had another story about bike lanes today and as per usual a bunch of morons were complaining that the bikes lanes are completely useless and that bikers should get off the road, yeah thats why theres bike lanes you morons. I swear, this city would be so much better off if they just shipped all those wannabee Florida residents down there on mass bus exoduses since thats what they want so badly.

I really wonder what the actual percentage of supporters versus idiots who hate bike lanes for no reason is in this city and if most of the complainers are just suburbanites and or people from Mt. Pleasant who come into the city once a month to watch some sports game.
I heard the ad for that this morning. I can't believe that this conversation is still taking place. I don't even consider a suburbanite's opinion on this matter relevant since their tax money doesn't go to the city. That's equivalent to me complaining that my neighbor is putting in a deck and whining that it's too expensive... how is that any of my concern?

However, if it is people living in the city that are complaining. I have a message for them: Go get on a bike a ride it around the city. You will quickly realize that it is the easiest and sometimes fastest and most enjoyable way to travel between neighborhoods. Especially when parking becomes a non-factor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12597  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:06 PM
themaguffin themaguffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,312
There is absolutely no need to bring migration patterns here of all places in the manner it was done. Everyone is aware of the region's history, economy and issues... and the legacy of lost industry. We're not blind cheerleaders. Come on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12598  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:11 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Biking somehow got coded as "liberal" in the political sense (which, when you think about it for a while, is really very odd--four wheels good, two wheels bad?). And once something gets coded as political, the chances of a meaningful conversation in mass media comment sections are negligible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12599  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:26 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
Those damned hippie liberals biking and staying in shape! I bet they voted for Obami!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12600  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:52 PM
hyperion1110's Avatar
hyperion1110 hyperion1110 is offline
Atop Washington's Mount
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfalvo11 View Post
Thanks Tbone, I was feeling pretty bad about myself haha... I agree with you, I have seen plenty of discontent on this thread. I guess I was just very blunt about it.

There is plenty to be thankful about, there is development and when compared to the rustbelt PGH is a shiny gem. I have just lived abroad in Asia and lived in some of the more densely populated cities in the US and with that backdrop in my mind, I tend to get frustrated when I hear of all the small projects going on back at home or the conservative nature of some of the projects. And before anyone else tries punching me again I am very aware Asia growth is not comparable to US growth.
Yeah, you didn't really say anything wrong in your original post. You just had the temerity to have an opinion, which I guess is too much for some people to handle. Now, if you really want to see something funny, post something about how Point Park's new theater downtown is a perfect use of space and that you think it's a good design. I'm fairly certain that the reactions to such a comment would register on a seismograph in California!

The reaction that you received is sort of the reason why I stopped posting a long time ago. It's sad, really.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.