HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7161  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 8:59 PM
Outta here's Avatar
Outta here Outta here is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 1060 W. Addison
Posts: 400
[QUOTE=mmikeyphilly

^^That proposal looks too nice to just get buried in red tape. That's sweet!

^^The Tallest skyscraper above looks like Center City Tower that was proposed in W Hotel and Ritz portion of land. I have a feeling this will show up one day as a City proposal of some sort. It's getting tired of being moved around, it's time to settle on a location.
Maybe a design for Comcast 3?[/QUOTE]



Yep ! That sure looks like the old 1050' City Center Tower to me . Just a damn shame nothing that tall will make it's presents felt anytime in the near future ( by 2025 ) ........ Not counting the CITC super tall currently
under construction .

BUT , my hat's off to the gentlemen who create such appealing renderings and the time , effort and talent it
takes to make some of our mouths drool with hope and imaginary lust ...... Please keep up the great work .
__________________


.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7162  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 9:02 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I wasn't even the one that brought up taxes and to say I do so constantly is a bit ridiculous. And what's with all the bad vibes here lately? I'm a long time poster and no one should have to feel like walking on eggshells when posting. You have a problem with someone's post? Don't be a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 - just counter the argument and leave the personal attacks out.
As far as I can see I only asked you to stop giving your tired old tax spiel, not really sure how you would construe that as a personal attack. Regardless, if you're trying to avoid personal attacks on this forum you could probably start by turning your attention to yourself and not calling me a 🞵🞵🞵🞵.

Listen, I don't want to be the perpetrator of bad vibes, but my whole point is that I don't want to counter your argument because I don't come here to argue about taxes. And I'm sorry, whether you started the discussion or not you couldn't wait to jump in with your taxes vs. value tirade that I've read about at least twice before from you.

What you view as "walking on eggshells" I view as simply using the common courtesy to try to discuss something we all enjoy and come here to talk about instead of constantly trying to split the conversation into controversial topics in which people go back and forth and get annoyed and at the end of the day no one is even changing their position and nothing is accomplished.

This forum has undoubtedly gotten considerably busier and more active in recent years as Philadelphia's development has skyrocketed. That's great, but perhaps for some longtime posters like yourself you need to get used to a more diverse forum with many different viewpoints. Topics like taxes, are intrinsically political and divisive and always lead to pointless debates and tangents that aren't very fun to read when you come here to learn about new developments.

If you want to discuss the taxes in Philadelphia there are many more appropriate places to do so.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7163  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 9:55 PM
mmikeyphilly mmikeyphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 769
"Topics like taxes, are intrinsically political and divisive and always lead to pointless debates and tangents that aren't very fun to read when you come here to learn about new developments.

If you want to discuss the taxes in Philadelphia there are many more appropriate places to do so."

That would be my fault, and after I saw how it was starting to stir up things, I tried to change the subject. The only reason I brought it up was not to start an argument about who pays higher taxes or whatever. I just wanted to say that Philly, even with all of its faults has a fair tax base on real estate. END OF STORY. I wanted to bring up that improvement would be nice on the wage tax, and business tax that would attract MORE CONSTRUCTION DEVELOPMENT
for businesses that would want to locate their corporate offices here. THE END. I promise I will NEVER bring up the word "Tax" or "Taxes" after this. I apologize if I derailed this thread. It wasn't my intention.
__________________
whatever
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7164  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:38 PM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
As far as I can see I only asked you to stop giving your tired old tax spiel, not really sure how you would construe that as a personal attack. Regardless, if you're trying to avoid personal attacks on this forum you could probably start by turning your attention to yourself and not calling me a 🞵🞵🞵🞵.

Listen, I don't want to be the perpetrator of bad vibes, but my whole point is that I don't want to counter your argument because I don't come here to argue about taxes. And I'm sorry, whether you started the discussion or not you couldn't wait to jump in with your taxes vs. value tirade that I've read about at least twice before from you.

What you view as "walking on eggshells" I view as simply using the common courtesy to try to discuss something we all enjoy and come here to talk about instead of constantly trying to split the conversation into controversial topics in which people go back and forth and get annoyed and at the end of the day no one is even changing their position and nothing is accomplished.

This forum has undoubtedly gotten considerably busier and more active in recent years as Philadelphia's development has skyrocketed. That's great, but perhaps for some longtime posters like yourself you need to get used to a more diverse forum with many different viewpoints. Topics like taxes, are intrinsically political and divisive and always lead to pointless debates and tangents that aren't very fun to read when you come here to learn about new developments.

If you want to discuss the taxes in Philadelphia there are many more appropriate places to do so.
I agree with this sentiment. Call it what you want McBane, but my perception is that you post a fair amount of negative comments, or comments that "stir the pot" then get upset with people when they don't agree with what you're saying. You have accused other people of personally attacking you (including myself) when an opposing viewpoint is given. I realize you are a long time poster, like many of us here, but quite frankly sometimes I skip by your posts.
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7165  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM
shadowbat2 shadowbat2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 901
Could the carpenters/ teamsters be back to the convention center???
Quote:
Reversing his earlier decision, a Pennsylvania labor relations hearing examiner has set in motion the possibility that union carpenters, barred from work at the Convention Center, may be allowed to return.

It's potentially good news for the carpenters, who have long complained they were improperly ousted, but the upshot could be "a catastrophic loss of bookings that will devastate the hospitality industry," the Convention Center's chief executive wrote in an e-mail.

Similar reactions came from the leaders of the Greater Philadelphia Hotel Association and the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau.

In March, Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board hearing examiner Jack E. Marino dismissed complaints by the Metropolitan Regional Council of Carpenters and Teamsters Local 107 that the two unions had been improperly banned from the facility last May.

Marino's initial ruling appeared to be the end of the road for the unions, despite many protests outside the building and an appeal to the National Labor Relations Board that was dismissed on jurisdictional grounds.

Marino's 14-page opinion, issued Thursday, changes the equation, particularly because Marino indicates that there may be some merit to the unions' complaints.
Quote:
Since the changes, the Convention Center staff says, 28 major new shows and conventions have been booked, filling hotel rooms for 560,000 nights and bringing in an estimated $872 million in economic impact.

"However," McNichol wrote, "many customers have been savvy enough to include provisions in their agreements that if the carpenters return to the building, they have the right to cancel their events."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/la..._to_get_hearing.html#56MvzZgbi8JJTIOB.99
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7166  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 10:57 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Could the carpenters/ teamsters be back to the convention center???
Bad news. Screw the carpenters. Interlocutory appeal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7167  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 2:12 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Could the carpenters/ teamsters be back to the convention center???
Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Honestly, if you really dig through the facts in the Inky article, it sounds like an epically last-ditch effort. The fact that they dropped the "discrimination" word really sounds 11th hour. It was cut and dry. They didn't sign by the deadline, "buh-bye." The only way they'll be back in the center will be pure politics, and I don't think these dinosaurs have the public backing to make that happen. That said, it kind of makes me wonder who got to the examiner.
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7168  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 10:22 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Honestly, if you really dig through the facts in the Inky article, it sounds like an epically last-ditch effort. The fact that they dropped the "discrimination" word really sounds 11th hour. It was cut and dry. They didn't sign by the deadline, "buh-bye." The only way they'll be back in the center will be pure politics, and I don't think these dinosaurs have the public backing to make that happen. That said, it kind of makes me wonder who got to the examiner.
Even the other unions in the city think the carpenters and teamsters are selfish obstructionists that hurt the cause for other workers. They blame them for turning off conventions from the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/local...-unions-on-opposite-sides-of-picket-line
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7169  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 1:00 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
If I were Convention Center management, I'd say:

We will never take these people back. Even if the National Guard attempted to make us take them back at gunpoint, we would close this building down indefinitely before we'd have these assclowns back in to embarrass this City and ruin its reputation.

The convention center should go on strike from the Carpenters if it has to.

Having said that, just because the hearing examiner granted a hearing doesn't mean the Carpenters have won. It is hard to imagine they have such standing that they can really force their way back in.

I think most of this is just face saving on Ed Coryell's part, so he can tell his members "I took this as far as I can" before ultimately acknowledging defeat.

The day his corrupt 🞵🞵🞵 dies will be a great day for the City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7170  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 5:26 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Demolition of Philadelphia International Records building underway

Alex Wigglesworth, Philly.com
Last updated: Saturday, April 18, 2015, 12:45 PM
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015, 12:24 PM

Construction on the residential building, which will be Pennsylvania's tallest, is slated to begin in the fall.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaki...ecords_building.html#RzYQaOO5MIm1FM10.99
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7171  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 12:47 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7172  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:00 AM
UPenn18's Avatar
UPenn18 UPenn18 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: University City
Posts: 85
Great photo! She's all prepped up for the country to see this Fall and next Summer
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7173  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:45 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Everywhere all at once
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SI NYC
Posts: 2,460
My, this city is already gorgeous, and when the CITC and FMC are built, drop-dead gorgeous.
__________________
BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7174  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 1:23 PM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Niiiice!
__________________
South Jerseyist
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7175  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:59 PM
techchallenger techchallenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 97
Great photo summersm343 - Is that taken from the 24th Street side of the Philadelphian?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7176  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:16 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
I agree with this sentiment. Call it what you want McBane, but my perception is that you post a fair amount of negative comments, or comments that "stir the pot" then get upset with people when they don't agree with what you're saying. You have accused other people of personally attacking you (including myself) when an opposing viewpoint is given.
To say that I construe any disagreement with me as a personal attack is flat out bogus. My post elicited two very different posts. 1487's post was a counterargument focused on the issue at hand (taxes), to which I had no problem with. Allen's post was focused on me, not my opinion. Two totally different concepts and I'm sorry if you don't get that.

Hopefully others understand the difference between criticizing another poster's opinion and criticizing a poster. I don't think I've ever attacked anyone on here for expressing an opinion BUT if I have, I truly apologize. Instead of criticizing each other, let's just focus on what unites us - our passion for making Philadelphia a better place. I'll go on hiatus so as not to offend anyone else.

p.s., sweet picture Summers!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7177  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:29 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Demolition of Philadelphia International Records building underway

Alex Wigglesworth, Philly.com
Last updated: Saturday, April 18, 2015, 12:45 PM
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015, 12:24 PM

Construction on the residential building, which will be Pennsylvania's tallest, is slated to begin in the fall.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaki...ecords_building.html#RzYQaOO5MIm1FM10.99
Walked past there yesterday and it's almost completely demo'd - just the first floor remained. Compare that to the months and months and months it's taken to demo the Snellenburgers shell. Different size lots and buildings, but boy, this thing dropped like Michael Spinks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7178  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 4:42 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by techchallenger View Post
Great photo summersm343 - Is that taken from the 24th Street side of the Philadelphian?
I didn't take the photo, I found it on Flickr. However, yes, it does look to be taken from the Philadelphian.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7179  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:50 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
The Center City District's "State of the City" was released this morning. The empirical evidence all points toward continued improvement of all social, economic and cultural outputs in Center City.

On a side note: I have to say the idea we are the 2nd most populated center city is a farce. Extended Center City is defined as Tasker to Girard, River to River. I think aesthetically, structurally, demographically and economically we should agree on Pine to Vine. If anything, with U-City's rise extended Center City should be defined as Pine to Vine, Delaware to 48th. It's a horizontal rectangle, not vertical.

http://centercityphila.org/docs/SOCC2015.pdf
__________________
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7180  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:57 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
T
On a side note: I have to say the idea we are the 2nd most populated center city is a farce. Extended Center City is defined as Tasker to Girard, River to River. I think aesthetically, structurally, demographically and economically we should agree on Pine to Vine.
Well, Center City has been historically defined as the original borders of the City of Philadelphia before the consolidation of the county. Those borders are Vine to South, river to river but otherwise I agree with your point.

From a planning and management standpoint, I understand leveraging the outgrowth of the core into the adjacent neighborhoods. And if one wants to call that greater Center City, then fine. But then taking those very liberal borders of what is basically standard row home neighborhoods, not unlike the dozens of others and calling it the “downtown” is a stretch. And further, taking that “downtown” and saying it’s bigger than Chicago’s downtown seems rather silly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.