Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane
With all the retail momentum we've had in the city - on Chestnut St in particular, this comes as a major letdown. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Wawa-to-open-at-Broad-and-Walnut-Streets.html
First an oversized drug store takes over Borders and now we get a convenience store at Robinson's. I'm afraid to think what will happen to the space at FYI when that outdated business model finally goes under.
What is it about Broad Street that just kills street level activity? To the east lies the 13th St corridor and to the west lies Rittenhouse Row. It's strange to me.
|
I was told by a gentleman, a couple of generations beyond me, that the former Robinson Luggage store was occupied by a Horn & Hardart. His reaction about the prospect of a Wawa with seating at that location was positive due to this recollection. He said there was always a need for that type of service at that location, and the need remains.
One of my questions about that site, and one that is relative to interests of skyscraper page content, is "WHEN will the building owner (U. Arts?) finish the early 20th century exterior refurbishment they initiated a number of years ago?"
I assumed the process ceased due to Robinson Luggage's objection to construction as it would disturb their retail practice. If I am correct, would not the vacation of premises by Robinson permit the refurbishment process to continue?