HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #12261  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:22 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
I love that Morgantown People Mover, everytime I go to that town I make sure to ride it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12262  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 7:18 PM
TBone7281 TBone7281 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 686
I went to WVU so the PRT is very familiar to me. Freshmen year I was in Towers over on the other side of town (Evansdale campus) so the PRT was one of the only ways to get around. (Not to mention parking in Morgantown was horrendous. Even worse now, from what I hear.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12263  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 8:26 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
the city will be a mockery of a real city.
Or maybe the best city ever!

My feeling is that Pittsburgh is a bit cursed by its topography in terms of implementing normal transportation solutions and development patterns, but conversely all that also is a large part of what makes Pittsburgh visually attractive and interesting. So we might as well build on that with innovative uses of appropriate technologies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12264  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:50 PM
SkyPittsburgh's Avatar
SkyPittsburgh SkyPittsburgh is offline
JasonInPGH
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 186
The new Planning Commission Presentation is up:
1. Facade renovation at 409 Wood Street.
2. Zone change of a parklet in Friendship so that it is actually zoned as a park.
3. Sports and Exhibition Authority is applying to add more signs at Heinz Field.
4. Plans for the Central Catholic High School STEM building. Still pretty f'd up that they destroyed part of that neighborhood to do it, but the building isn't that bad.

Find more here
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12265  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 12:37 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Port Authority's new maps are looking pretty darn sweet--and drawing positive attention:

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/04/0...maps-show-transit-agencies-a-way-forward

Samples:







If they actually roll this out through the whole system, it will, dare I say, be almost European.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12266  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 11:42 AM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Yes, of course. And also the PRT from Morgantown.

The Morgantown PRT is much, much better than anything here in Houston! And I think it's faster as well!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12267  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 12:45 PM
TBone7281 TBone7281 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 686
I wandered around yesterday morning before the rain rolled in.

Tentative "Smallman Place". Obviously, I hallucinated the chain link fencing being down and I haven't really seen anything doing much of anything since the guys were digging in between the buildings a couple weeks ago, but I'll keep my eye on it.




The entire building at Railroad & 27th is down. Took this from one end of the surface lot (26th) looking towards 27th. If the renderings are correct, this block (26th --> 27th between Railroad and Spruce Way) will mostly be a parking garage.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12268  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 12:50 PM
TBone7281 TBone7281 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 686
2500 Smallman




The structural steel "topped out" this week. I know it's technically true, but I find the terminology funny since it's only like 3 stories.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/bl...topping-off-the-structural-steel-at.html

Some cool pictures in the article, including this one:

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/5467301/img4632*600.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12269  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 12:55 PM
wpipkins2 wpipkins2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
2500 Smallman




The structural steel "topped out" this week. I know it's technically true, but I find the terminology funny since it's only like 3 stories.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/bl...topping-off-the-structural-steel-at.html

Some cool pictures in the article, including this one:

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/5467301/img4632*600.jpg

Reminds me of Piatt Place with the interior courtyard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12270  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 12:55 PM
TBone7281 TBone7281 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 686
Work on the infrastructure behind the Terminal Building continues. They were pouring more yesterday.




Work has also begun on the other side of the 16th St. Bridge.



View from the other direction. The new road currently runs from 16th to 21st.





And finally, the building that Gaucho is expanding into. Exterior hasn't changed much since the last time I went by but they are obviously getting close since they are closing to finish up the project over the next month.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12271  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:30 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
The structural steel "topped out" this week. I know it's technically true, but I find the terminology funny since it's only like 3 stories.
Although parts of it poke up to 4, maybe even 4.5, stories or so. Which I appreciate--it is creating the appearance of a bit more substantial building, and more in keeping with the emerging scale/density of that part of the Strip,
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12272  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:32 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
View from the other direction. The new road currently runs from 16th to 21st.

I keep thinking if they can just line the river side of that street with block-filling buildings at least around the same height as the Cork Factory, you could really have something cool there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12273  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:50 PM
TBone7281 TBone7281 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Although parts of it poke up to 4, maybe even 4.5, stories or so. Which I appreciate--it is creating the appearance of a bit more substantial building, and more in keeping with the emerging scale/density of that part of the Strip,
No arguments there. I think it's going to turn out pretty good looking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12274  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:45 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I keep thinking if they can just line the river side of that street with block-filling buildings at least around the same height as the Cork Factory, you could really have something cool there.
Agreed. The strip has ridiculous potential.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12275  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:49 PM
AaronPGH's Avatar
AaronPGH AaronPGH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PGH
Posts: 1,801
And another "hats off" to Port Authority on the new wayfinding system and maps. Feels like I've been saying that a lot lately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12276  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:49 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
I'm even warming to the idea of something like townhouses on the Produce Terminal side of that street. Ordinarily that would be too low-density for me, but if the Produce Terminal is also mostly residential, then it would create an interesting sort of mini-neighborhood, and one loosely evocative of the Strip's residential history.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12277  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:01 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
And another "hats off" to Port Authority on the new wayfinding system and maps. Feels like I've been saying that a lot lately.
It is quite frustrating to me that more people do not acknowledge how much things changed after Bland took over, which seems to have carried over even now that he is gone. He seems to have really professionalized the management, and also got them in the habit of outsourcing important projects to specialist firms (in this case, CHK America).

Of course it is perfectly fair to point out that none of this is exactly rocket science, meaning this is largely the application of technologies and practices that have already been used to good effect in other systems. But so many people still seem to assume they are horribly managed, whereas these days they are really coming across as quite competent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12278  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:21 PM
AaronPGH's Avatar
AaronPGH AaronPGH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PGH
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It is quite frustrating to me that more people do not acknowledge how much things changed after Bland took over, which seems to have carried over even now that he is gone. He seems to have really professionalized the management, and also got them in the habit of outsourcing important projects to specialist firms (in this case, CHK America).

Of course it is perfectly fair to point out that none of this is exactly rocket science, meaning this is largely the application of technologies and practices that have already been used to good effect in other systems. But so many people still seem to assume they are horribly managed, whereas these days they are really coming across as quite competent.
It's going to be a long process, but I think they're getting there. Public perception is changing slowly. It takes time for stuff like this to sink into peoples brains.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12279  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:24 PM
GeneW GeneW is offline
Northsider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
It's going to be a long process, but I think they're getting there. Public perception is changing slowly. It takes time for stuff like this to sink into peoples brains.
Maybe this is universal but Pittsburghers seem especially resistant to changing their perceptions of the current state of the city. The number of zombie ideas that I run in to on a regular basis is amazing. I don't know how many people I talk to are still scared of East Liberty or "The North Side" or think that Downtown is dead at night or that no one rides a bike in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12280  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:20 PM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Maybe this is universal but Pittsburghers seem especially resistant to changing their perceptions of the current state of the city. The number of zombie ideas that I run in to on a regular basis is amazing. I don't know how many people I talk to are still scared of East Liberty or "The North Side" or think that Downtown is dead at night or that no one rides a bike in Pittsburgh.
I'm with you, GeneW. In fact, it seems like the only people who know what the MODERN Pittsburgh is really like are people who've only visited there a few times or have lived there in the recent past, not having grown up there or lived there for decades. The old stereotypes die hard, no doubt about it. And frankly, given the popularity of the Steelers, I wouldn't blame non-locals if they still thought Pittsburgh was still a steel town!

Funny thing is, ever since I moved back to Houston with my company, every time I mention to anyone in my business (oil & gas) how much I love Pittsburgh after my 2+ years of living there in the South Side Slopes, all I ever get are positive comments and opinions about the city and the region in general. Perhaps it's because there are so many energy sector workers who travel between Houston and Pittsburgh, but the general thoughts of Pittsburgh are quite positive over here, and that was (and still is) kind of a shock to me!

And yes, I'm still trying to find a way to get back!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.