Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
This is awesome. Density, depth, and in the background, another skyline. Even without the mountains, Van kicks 🞵🞵🞵, skyline-wise.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
Funny that I logged in to lurk here and I see this post.
You can grow certain oaks in Calgary. Bur Oak (Native to Manitoba) can grow here but are fairly picky due to our soil and freeze thaw cycles. I have also seen red oak and pin oak grow here but they are stunted and small.
A few maples grow here, but the manitoba maple is more of a weed. I do love the shape of it and I have a few on the edge of my property that I have scculpted quite nicely. Norway maple is purple maple that will grow here in a sheltered location. The silver cloud maple and sugar maple will grow too, but only in sheltered locations. You have to protect the roots in the winter to make sure the roots do not thaw. I like to locate them on the east side of a spruce or pine tree so that the afternoon chinook sun wont thaw the roots.
The same goes for ohio buckeye. These need sheltered roots and often grow pretty stunted.
I have seen all of the trees listed above growing in the river valley areas in sheltered locations. kensington has some good examples and so does the elbow river area.
Central memorial park has the largest bur oaks in calgary. They are still fairly small but must have been planted about 20 years ago?
Cheers!
Thanks KW. Those Bur Oaks in Central Memorial Park look tiny iirc. Would they really be 20yo?
I love Vancouver, but does anybody else find BC Place Stadium 🞵🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 ugly? It was ugly before (the poles, when it was air supported), but now it is fugly.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
I actually rather like it with the poles whereas when it was just a giant pin cushion I just found it utilitarian. With the poles it's like an avant-grade art piece evoking a royal crown.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
I love Vancouver, but does anybody else find BC Place Stadium 🞵🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 ugly? It was ugly before (the poles, when it was air supported), but now it is fugly.