Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer
Some might argue that it is not in the buyers' best interest to go public with a condo's perceived shortcomings. Once a building gets a "bad reputation", it is not easily shaken. The potential effect on one's investment should also be kept in mind. If it were me, I would swallow hard and exhaust all avenues to work with the developer to correct problems (whether on my own or jointly with like-minded purchasers) before looking to take matters public.
|
I fully agree with you - going public, or to lawyers for that matter, is not the solution: as a group of owners we have more leverage. May I propose a meeting somewhere downtown close to Gotham? A pot luck? How about meeting at Minto Place in the eating area for 5:30pm on next Tuesday, March 30th in the area by the green wall, close to the 360 Steak House.
I have a unit on the upper floor and my occupancy is scheduled for April 2nd and I am expecting an email next Friday to announce a new delay: it is getting a joke at my office and with my lawyer. The best way to work this out is with the builder, Lamb Dev Corp. I am still waiting for my PDI and I am trying to get one ASAP as I spent a lot of money on upgrades and I like to get a sense of the space - wires dangling from the ceiling or not. As it goes with Tarion, everything is fixed as reported in the 30-day list: plenty of time to pick things up. Following a CBC documentary on condos in Toronto, this is not a unique situation.
As floors 2 to 16 are scheduled to move on April 1st and 2nd, there are about 240 units on these floors. Since construction is ongoing (their schedule is 7am to 3pm), the freight elevator will be only available between 3pm and 8pm officially. In the best of case, 3 units per day may move in, so 240 divided by 3 is 80 elevator days or just short of 3 months. And, this doesn't take in account any deliveries that one might schedules for new furniture, etc or week-ends.
As an owner resident, I surely hope that owner residents will have priority over tenants (sorry here, this is not a choice for me, I bought the place to live in, not to make money like would be investors - I cannot rip the purchase offer and walk away. If this gets enough investors upset, may be Lamb Dev Corp will do something!!!) if I may have to wait a month or 6 weeks to book the elevator to move in while I am forced to pay for 2 places to live in.
Personally, I proposed that we force the developer and the management company to open the booking for the freight elevator and loading dock from 3pm to 7am (yes, around the clock - as we have pay for tenancy from the time that we get our keys, not when we move in). I do not mind moving in at midnight or 4am if it gets me in my new condo 3 or 4 weeks earlier.
BTW, I am aware that the construction management staff and Lamb Dev Corp staff are following this blog.
May I suggest that we start to help each others and propose solutions to move ahead like forcing Lamb Dev Corp to credit us directly the delay penality at closing as opposed to claiming it through Tarion with filling forms and wait for months to get our money? Also, as one mentioned above, when I made my offer, the condo fee was projected to be 42 cents per sq. ft. At occupancy, one said that it is 50 cents per sq. ft. In other words, an increase of 19% over 3 yrs for an unaudited building...this is unheard of! Let the builder sticks to its 42 cents per sq. ft.