Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer
That has to be the Canadian heritage loss of the year, or at least on a very short list.
|
That 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. If people are outraged about that, I hope they
spare some outrage for this:
This is a registered heritage building in Halifax's only heritage conservation district, and its owner--who seems to change his mind about what to do with it every six months--has recently evicted every single tenant and announced that he plans to tear it down, no matter how long it takes to win approval.
The city's heritage bylaws are extraordinarily weak, and despite being a registered building in a conservation district, it has an owner who is actively attempting to destroy it, and is clearly not maintaining it in any significant way. So I think it's well within the realm of possibility that he'll eventually succeed, if city council doesn't get serious. Making matters worse, Halifax's only heritage-conservation lobbying group is a widely derided group of mostly elderly folks who have very little public support.
It's a massive failure of heritage preservation in an ostensibly historic city, and its loss will render the conservation district pretty meaningless.
I guess I'm going off topic since this is a restoration thread, but I was inspired by SignalHill's post...