HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6921  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 12:34 AM
joemustardo joemustardo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 81
I've always wondered why on the diagram page, there isn't city hall. It is on the history of the tallest buildings in Philadelphia. Does anyone know how to add it to the mane diagram page?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6922  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 12:52 AM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemustardo View Post
I've always wondered why on the diagram page, there isn't city hall. It is on the history of the tallest buildings in Philadelphia. Does anyone know how to add it to the mane diagram page?
I don't think it's considered a skyscraper. The tower is masonry, like the Washington Monument. The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, who has become the self-appointed arbiter of these things (and an organization of which I am a member), a skyscraper has to, because of its height, employ "novel" engineering systems to serve the building. That means first and foremost a different structural system than masonry. It does also include elevators, which the tower does have, but that's about it. For my money, it's a tall tower but not a skyscraper.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6923  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 12:52 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
With all the retail momentum we've had in the city - on Chestnut St in particular, this comes as a major letdown. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Wawa-to-open-at-Broad-and-Walnut-Streets.html

First an oversized drug store takes over Borders and now we get a convenience store at Robinson's. I'm afraid to think what will happen to the space at FYI when that outdated business model finally goes under.

What is it about Broad Street that just kills street level activity? To the east lies the 13th St corridor and to the west lies Rittenhouse Row. It's strange to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6924  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 1:09 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
With all the retail momentum we've had in the city - on Chestnut St in particular, this comes as a major letdown. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Wawa-to-open-at-Broad-and-Walnut-Streets.html

First an oversized drug store takes over Borders and now we get a convenience store at Robinson's. I'm afraid to think what will happen to the space at FYI when that outdated business model finally goes under.

What is it about Broad Street that just kills street level activity? To the east lies the 13th St corridor and to the west lies Rittenhouse Row. It's strange to me.
Im not saying Wawa is best tenant, but it is the type of tenant that will keep pedestrian activity at a high level AND once it opens it will probably have no issues paying the rent and staying open for many years. When you have a lot of new residences being built people need places to get food. Its not surprising to hear something like this. Plus, unlike a store- this will be open late and keep activity at this corner well past 6 or 7PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6925  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 1:22 PM
br323206 br323206 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
With all the retail momentum we've had in the city - on Chestnut St in particular, this comes as a major letdown. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Wawa-to-open-at-Broad-and-Walnut-Streets.html

First an oversized drug store takes over Borders and now we get a convenience store at Robinson's. I'm afraid to think what will happen to the space at FYI when that outdated business model finally goes under.

What is it about Broad Street that just kills street level activity? To the east lies the 13th St corridor and to the west lies Rittenhouse Row. It's strange to me.
Maybe I'm just trying to spin this as positive but I'm actually pretty happy about this. I love Wawa and I had thought they were abandoning the city. The fact that a locally grown company is investing in space at Broad and Walnut makes me think they see the resurgence is alive! This could be a great opportunity for a "flagship" Wawa. It says they are going to include indoor seating, which will be a first (as far as I know?).

Plus, there is a McDonald's on Walnut along Rittenhouse Row. There is room for these kinds of uses on a successful retail corridor. Put me in the "glass half full" column on this news.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6926  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 1:29 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
With all the retail momentum we've had in the city - on Chestnut St in particular, this comes as a major letdown. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Wawa-to-open-at-Broad-and-Walnut-Streets.html

First an oversized drug store takes over Borders and now we get a convenience store at Robinson's. I'm afraid to think what will happen to the space at FYI when that outdated business model finally goes under.

What is it about Broad Street that just kills street level activity? To the east lies the 13th St corridor and to the west lies Rittenhouse Row. It's strange to me.
There's a Duane Reade on practically every corner in Manhattan including some on 5th Avenue which is basically the most upscale urban retail strip on the planet. I think you're looking at this entirely the wrong way. No, Wawa is not upscale and it is not exclusive but it is the type of place that is necessary, not only for the ever expanding population of people living in the immediate vicinity but even the out of towners shopping on the 13th street corridor and Rittenhouse row need a place to just grab some coffee or a pack of gum.

Places like Wawa are necessary to the urban environment and there is simply no way to get so classy or successful that you could deter these types of the businesses from moving in and I'm honestly not sure why you would want to.

So while the Wawa in and of itself is not a huge deal, it's another positive sign that the street life in the area is improving. Another empty storefront is being replaced by a business that will be busy and bustling 24/7 and honestly the simple fact that Wawa wants to open at this location when they've spent the past two decades systematically divesting themselves of urban properties is a sign of how far Center City has come.

edit: others beat me too it! not trying to pile on!

Last edited by allovertown; Mar 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM. Reason: update after other replies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6927  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 1:32 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
The PHS has a bold new plan for altering the traffic around the base of the Ben Franklin Bridge in order to create a more pedestrian friendly plaza.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/03/23/phs-has-bold-plans-to-redo-base-of-ben-franklin-bridge
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6928  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 3:02 PM
AbortedWalrus AbortedWalrus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
The PHS has a bold new plan for altering the traffic around the base of the Ben Franklin Bridge in order to create a more pedestrian friendly plaza.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/03/23/phs-has-bold-plans-to-redo-base-of-ben-franklin-bridge
I thought this was going to be a nightmare at first but it's not terrible actually.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6929  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 4:20 PM
techchallenger techchallenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
Maybe I'm just trying to spin this as positive but I'm actually pretty happy about this. I love Wawa and I had thought they were abandoning the city. The fact that a locally grown company is investing in space at Broad and Walnut makes me think they see the resurgence is alive! This could be a great opportunity for a "flagship" Wawa. It says they are going to include indoor seating, which will be a first (as far as I know?).

Plus, there is a McDonald's on Walnut along Rittenhouse Row. There is room for these kinds of uses on a successful retail corridor. Put me in the "glass half full" column on this news.
I agree with your outlook on the new Wawa. FWIW, the (extant) Wawa at 38th & Spruce Streets at one time included seating (and sold beer to minors!). The seating area was the scene of a tragedy in 1990:
http://www.library.upenn.edu/docs/kislak/dp/1990/1990_07_19.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6930  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 4:29 PM
techchallenger techchallenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
The PHS has a bold new plan for altering the traffic around the base of the Ben Franklin Bridge in order to create a more pedestrian friendly plaza.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/03/23/phs-has-bold-plans-to-redo-base-of-ben-franklin-bridge
On a walk yesterday, I was amazed that this sidewalk (linked) offers no option for pedestrians other than a 45 degree turn onto the bridge. There was no way to (a) cross Race to its parallel sidewalk or (b) continue directly east to Franklin Square...

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.954513,-...3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSOLKmWj0ocLnsVUM1Ke4Pw!2e0
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6931  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 4:40 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
I'm okay with being in the minority re Wawa. Yes, the city needs these types of retail but why does it have to be in that exact location? Do we need another grand convenience store at that intersection? (Can't we call the Walgreens a convenience store?). I see the positives and will just have to embrace them b/c Wawa is coming whether I like it or not.

Anywho.....that PHS plan for the BFB looks interesting. But not nearly as interesting as the 1926 image of the BFB approach. Wow! Look at how intact Vine Street is. Very fascinating. It reminds me of the bridge/tunnel approaches you see in NYC. They don't (they can't) waste a single square foot of space.

http://planphilly.com/uploads/media_item...-aerial-viewpoint-spring-tx.original.png
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6932  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:15 PM
phaved phaved is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Looks like it hasn't been updated in a year, but this picked up where PhillySkyline's Skinny left off:

http://thephillyskinny.blogspot.com/
I started http://phaved.com some time ago to track developments in the city. It needs some updating.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6933  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:20 PM
Mappy Mappy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaved View Post
I started http://phaved.com some time ago to track developments in the city. It needs some updating.
This site is awesome! simple, sleek, and easy to navigate... If you could just ad a search by height function it would be everything I want!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6934  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:29 PM
phaved phaved is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
This site is awesome! simple sleep and easy to navigate... If you could just ad a search by height function it would be everything I want!
Thanks! I had that feature but it was buggy, got to look for an alternative. My main goal is to have a large map showing all the projects which will be color coded by project status.
This online community definitely inspired me to create the site and started my addiction to these developments around the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6935  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 6:27 PM
relnahe's Avatar
relnahe relnahe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
With all the retail momentum we've had in the city - on Chestnut St in particular, this comes as a major letdown. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Wawa-to-open-at-Broad-and-Walnut-Streets.html

First an oversized drug store takes over Borders and now we get a convenience store at Robinson's. I'm afraid to think what will happen to the space at FYI when that outdated business model finally goes under.

What is it about Broad Street that just kills street level activity? To the east lies the 13th St corridor and to the west lies Rittenhouse Row. It's strange to me.
Are you kidding that Walgreens is really nice and brings a lot of street activity. I would imagine that sit in Wawa will be the best possible store they'll have and will bring a ton of street activity 24 hours.

Broad street is a very wide street that doesn't offer the human scale those smaller streets do.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6936  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 10:10 PM
apetrella802 apetrella802 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 546
a skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
I don't think it's considered a skyscraper. The tower is masonry, like the Washington Monument. The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, who has become the self-appointed arbiter of these things (and an organization of which I am a member), a skyscraper has to, because of its height, employ "novel" engineering systems to serve the building. That means first and foremost a different structural system than masonry. It does also include elevators, which the tower does have, but that's about it. For my money, it's a tall tower but not a skyscraper.
I think a skyscraper has to have a skeletal framing system in steel and/or RC and be at least 200 feet tall. The height can be measured to the top of its spire, if it has one, the top of its roof or the top of the highest occupied office. Antennas don't count of course since there are foreign objects so to speak, not an attenuation of the skeletal framing system like a spire.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6937  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 1:07 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta here View Post
Great job . Thank you for your attention to detail . If at all possible , up-dates every six months or so , would knock this sucker out of the park .

On another note , the database lists 1919 Market to top out at 367' . I believe the original proposal listed it at something even taller ..... Your input lists it at 337' . Is this high rise shrinking as we speak ........
Thanks! I put it together pretty quickly with whatever I could scrape from the internet, so I'll have to recheck 1919 Market.

If anyone knows how to build some kind of TheSkinny-style database, I'd love to expand upon the list in a searchable/filterable way. We certainly have enough development going on to warrant one. Philadelphia's growing like wild right now.
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6938  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 2:12 AM
Outta here's Avatar
Outta here Outta here is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 1060 W. Addison
Posts: 400
__________________


.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6939  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 2:25 AM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Thanks! I put it together pretty quickly with whatever I could scrape from the internet, so I'll have to recheck 1919 Market.

If anyone knows how to build some kind of TheSkinny-style database, I'd love to expand upon the list in a searchable/filterable way. We certainly have enough development going on to warrant one. Philadelphia's growing like wild right now.
I worked a little with Michael Burlando, the guy who put it together, on the new version of The Skinny. I have access but nowhere close the time to keep it updated, if someone has some basic Google Docs skills, I could see if Michael would give one or two of you access to keep it going.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6940  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 9:13 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
I personally wouldn't mind if Wawas were as ubiquitous in (greater) Center City as Duane Reades are on Manhattan.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

‘Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.