HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2521  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 3:55 PM
Nashe's Avatar
Nashe Nashe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 3,079
I also like Gusto. Very nice place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2522  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 5:35 PM
L'homard L'homard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,055
Brooklyn Deli is closed. Gusto will be extended into the downstairs. The work is ongoing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2523  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 5:45 PM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Brooklyn Deli is closed. Gusto will be extended into the downstairs. The work is ongoing.
Brooklyn Deli was primarily a lunch place. This is another indication that competition is stiff downtown for lunch and that there is much more of a market for sit-down dinner places. We need more office workers and residential to support casual lunch places downtown. People don't drive in from suburban areas to go to lunch as much as they do for dinner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2524  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 6:12 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
Geez, a half page of restaurant talk that probably belonged in the downtown section rather than the retail section.......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2525  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:28 AM
bigrivernb bigrivernb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 142
On Freshii...there is a sign in the window saying closed until further notice due to a major maintenance issue on site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2526  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 6:51 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
Confirmed - Party City is indeed going into Building "B" in the Mapleton Centre; so says the building permit in the front window. Interior work has already begun.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2527  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 9:50 PM
Shoppergrl Shoppergrl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Party City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Confirmed - Party City is indeed going into Building "B" in the Mapleton Centre; so says the building permit in the front window. Interior work has already begun.
I wonder when it's scheduled to open? I thought the paper had given the date of March 9, but they're not known for their reliability
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2528  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:54 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372


Welcome to the forums.

Yes, I recall the T&T giving an unreasonably early opening date for Party City. Since they are just beginning the interior electrical work, I don't expect any opening before June............
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2529  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 9:49 PM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2530  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 3:27 AM
Stirsnack Stirsnack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 28
looks like panego pizza is gone
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2531  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 11:21 AM
L'homard L'homard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,055
Gee they always looked busy whenever I went by their place. They had awesome ownership, fabulous staff, great prices and delicious pizza - but a horrible location. Hopefully they merely moved to a better spot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2532  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:06 PM
BlackYear's Avatar
BlackYear BlackYear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,292
I've gone to Panago a few times even though they were out of my way.

I'm willing to bet that if you mention the word Panago to a lot of folks in Moncton, the answer will be, "who, where, what?"

And yes, that location is not exactly the best. Second food chain to fail there. Capt' Sub was the first.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2533  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 3:30 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
Panago had decent pizza with unusual toppings. I'm sorry to see them go.

I think the problem is that they had a somewhat unusual product which didn't find it's niche in the local market. They certainly weren't your typical neighbourhood pizza joint, and their location on Plaza Blvd always seemed a little anonymous to me. It wasn't an "in your face" location on a major street in town and, for a business based primarily on a take out model, this could have been crucial in their demise. To combat this they would have needed to do heavy duty advertising. They started out with a decent advertising strategy, but that tapered off over time and I think that people gradually forgot that they existed.

Contrast that to the successful Papa John's model. They have three locations in metro giving decent and convenient neighbourhood coverage so that you don't have to drive all over hell and creation to pick up your pizza. Their locations are relatively high visibility (two on Mountain Road alone) and their product is consistently good. Papa John's also advertises all the time and has ongoing special promotions that draw in new customers. Panago could learn from this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2534  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 5:38 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
I liked Panago because it was different and unique in Moncton, they had good products and was another option. I love brands that you don't see at every corner. The location was good (busy commercial area), but awful at the same time. Visibility was good, but accessing that plaza is a pain during most times. That whole shopping plaza is a mess to drive into, park and then leave. That shopping development is just poor planning, the parking spaces and driving lanes are undersized and I drive a small car... I think people just drove by and said no thanks. When it comes to food, people want a quick in and out. I think even Tims would fail there! LOL

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 22, 2015 at 6:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2535  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 10:01 PM
bigrivernb bigrivernb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 142
the Bargain Depot is coming to Moncton. www.facebook.com/thebargaindepot. they are rumored to be setting up at 118 Oakland Avenue, off mountain. from what I was told will open April 15. I'm guessing it will be like XS cargo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2536  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 1:08 PM
habs33's Avatar
habs33 habs33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 646
Today's T&T reports that Sleep Country will open April 1st
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/times-transcript/story/41727241/moncton-location-of-sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2537  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 2:54 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
I've been doing some thinking about Designer Shoe Warehouse at the Mapleton Centre.

These stores are usually about 20,000 sq ft or so, and as has been mentioned before, it would be hard to imagine a vacant storefront or existing pad location in the Mapleton Centre that would fit the bill. The only existing vacant spot that might work is in Building "B" and has been claimed by Party City.

It occurred to me that there is a fair bit of vacant land between the new Goodlife Fitness location and the Bombay Company store. This space might be large enough to accommodate a new building housing a DSW. This would be a good spot for them as it would face on the central parking lot in the main part of the Mapleton Centre, and would be close to Mode Choc and Bed, Bath & Beyond. Maybe this is the plan.

Thoughts anyone???

The only other real possibility is a combined pad location next to Sleep Country, but that isn't in the main part of the development and I think it would look funny there. DSW would be a major anchor for the Mapleton Centre and I think they would really want to put it in the centre of the development........
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2538  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:21 PM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I've been doing some thinking about Designer Shoe Warehouse at the Mapleton Centre.

These stores are usually about 20,000 sq ft or so, and as has been mentioned before, it would be hard to imagine a vacant storefront or existing pad location in the Mapleton Centre that would fit the bill. The only existing vacant spot that might work is in Building "B" and has been claimed by Party City.

It occurred to me that there is a fair bit of vacant land between the new Goodlife Fitness location and the Bombay Company store. This space might be large enough to accommodate a new building housing a DSW. This would be a good spot for them as it would face on the central parking lot in the main part of the Mapleton Centre, and would be close to Mode Choc and Bed, Bath & Beyond. Maybe this is the plan.

Thoughts anyone???

The only other real possibility is a combined pad location next to Sleep Country, but that isn't in the main part of the development and I think it would look funny there. DSW would be a major anchor for the Mapleton Centre and I think they would really want to put it in the centre of the development........
I don't think they would have a stand alone building. Most of the Discount Show Warehouse locations I know of are part of an existing strip. I also do not believe they would open a location a couple of doors down from Pop Shoes either.

A good location for DSW is the old Princess Auto in the Norwest Plaza on Mountain Road. As previously reported there is someone already very interested in that location. Could it be DSW? We shall have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2539  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:23 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
I don't think they would have a stand alone building. Most of the Discount Show Warehouse locations I know of are part of an existing strip. I also do not believe they would open a location a couple of doors down from Pop Shoes either.

A good location for DSW is the old Princess Auto in the Norwest Plaza on Mountain Road. As previously reported there is someone already very interested in that location. Could it be DSW? We shall have to wait and see.
The Mapleton Centre website says that DSW is opening there.

The only question is where in the Mapleton Centre will they be located........
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2540  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:36 PM
L'homard L'homard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,055
The former Princess Auto has been claimed. I forget by whom, but they've signed a lease.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.