Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2
From the Flames perspective, having a roof means more ROI. They can use it 12 months a year and I would imagine an MLS team would be an ideal second tenant for them. Plus doesn't soccer start in April or something? Not sure how they'd do that with potential for 3 feet of snow on the ground.
|
This was the same perspective in Regina. That having a roof would allow the facility to be used throughout the year. However, football stadiums aren't as flexible in their ability to host other events (i.e. when else can you draw 40,000 fans?). Concerts, trade shows, other types of entertainment are more suited for a hockey arena at 20,000 or so seats with much better sight lines, atmosphere, etc.
Of course, I also recognize that context plays a part in this discussion. Calgary being a large Canadian city compared to Regina as a mid-sized city. Calgary has obviously more drawing power for events.
I guess really the question comes down to, how often would a football stadium be used for not football related events (10 games per year plus playoffs) and does its use justify the added cost of a retractable roof. I don't have an answer for that, but someone making the decisions certainly will!