HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• New York Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2901  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 1:20 AM
Ploppalopp Ploppalopp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 161
I think you guys are getting a bit ahead of yourselves. We haven't even seen any real renderings , so how can we say that this building is so "horrible". At worst, its a tall and uninspiring tower. There are plenty of those around...so just give this one a chance to show how good it will be. I predict it'll look pretty darn good but that's just me.
     
     
  #2902  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:27 AM
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY - Cali
Posts: 6,844
Judging this building by the rendering JR Ewing posted isn't fair since it looked faar better in the colored, detailed official renderings that were revealed.

From NYYimby, it looks great in this pic

     
     
  #2903  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:47 AM
JR Ewing JR Ewing is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ancient Egypt
Posts: 832
That's an amazing tower !
     
     
  #2904  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:51 AM
BrownTown BrownTown is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,865
I don't even get what people here want. All they do is bash pretty much every single proposal that comes along. If you guys are all such architectural geniuses then why isn't anyone paying you millions of dollars to design buildings? Besides, the people designing these buildings don't care what a bunch of middle class nobodies on the internet like, they care what their Billionaire clientèle likes. Not to mention that most of the problems people have with the design of the tower are things that CAN'T be designed away. There is a store at the base of this tower and they can't have a symmetrical design because the core of the building would be stuck right in the middle of that store. The massing pretty much HAS to be this way. The architect has to work with the site and the specifications he's given.
     
     
  #2905  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 7:48 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
It's not bad. It's decent. I don't like the antenna (yes, it is far more antenna than spire). I don't care that it adds height. The tower would look far better without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Judging this building by the rendering JR Ewing posted isn't fair since it looked faar better in the colored, detailed official renderings that were revealed.

From NYYimby, it looks great in this pic

     
     
  #2906  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 12:56 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
2.28.15

Work is slowly progressing. Iron beam platform in SE coroner has already reached street level. Also South and West walls has been built for what looks like beginning of a core.
Concrete support walls are almost done except half of North side wall.








Thank you sir.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
I wish we could get some renderings so we know what it will look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
It is unchanged.

Yes, yes, renderings will make a world of difference here. We appreciate those drawings, but they aren't renderings. We need official renders that give us an idea of what the tower will look like,
what treatment of the glass we will get, exactly what that spire will look like (will it be nicely designed or simply a toothpick like the spire on Trump Chicago), lots of questions to be answered.
And we demand renderings.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Remember; AS+GG designed what looked to be a beauty, to ultimately win them the contract, at which point it was then apparently VE'ed to hell by Barnett.
Can't forget about that.

Le'ts hope he can still give us something befitting of New York, like we're seeing with 111 W 57th and the Tower Verre, something that will stand proudly with the others. It's all in the details,
which we haven't seen yet.

We should have something that makes Barnett stare at the model like this...






But regardless, we will be happy when a crane goes up on site.







     
     
  #2907  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 11:23 PM
vandelay vandelay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 872
It's a shame that that design didn't work out. It would have gone very well with the similar spires of 157 and Steinway.
     
     
  #2908  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 11:44 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Closeted Normie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 13,238
^I still have a hard time of believing, and understanding, the excuse of "crane logistics" as the reason given as to why that design could not be built. It almost sounds made up. I think that modern constructors could built just about anything with the equipment and technology they have these days.
     
     
  #2909  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 12:09 AM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Great State of NJ
Posts: 49,407
Usually the reasons for certain designs not going through in terms of logistics is cost. More complex = more hard costs. But it can be built. Modern engineering and construction techniques can build a lot of interesting designs.
     
     
  #2910  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 12:35 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,238
http://www.millersamuel.com/wireds-phallic-take-on-the-high-rise-boom/

Wired’s Phallic Take on the High-Rise Boom





by Jonathan Miller
MARCH 2, 2015
     
     
  #2911  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:06 AM
pico44's Avatar
pico44 pico44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I don't even get what people here want. All they do is bash pretty much every single proposal that comes along. If you guys are all such architectural geniuses then why isn't anyone paying you millions of dollars to design buildings? Besides, the people designing these buildings don't care what a bunch of middle class nobodies on the internet like, they care what their Billionaire clientèle likes. Not to mention that most of the problems people have with the design of the tower are things that CAN'T be designed away. There is a store at the base of this tower and they can't have a symmetrical design because the core of the building would be stuck right in the middle of that store. The massing pretty much HAS to be this way. The architect has to work with the site and the specifications he's given.


I bash designs I feel deserve to be bashed. I praise what deserves praise, which happens a lot. If this were a 700 foot building in Brooklyn I'd be quite pleased with what would be a significantly above average tower. At 1500ft, it's a disgusting money grab and a lost opportunity to create something special. Gary Barnett is a bum.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^I still have a hard time of believing, and understanding, the excuse of "crane logistics" as the reason given as to why that design could not be built. It almost sounds made up. I think that modern constructors could built just about anything with the equipment and technology they have these days.


Replace the words "crane logistics" with "cheap —" and perhaps you'll better understand the decision making process. This is a man who took pride and even announced publicly that he VE'd Portzamparc into submission on One57.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 4, 2015 at 2:46 AM.
     
     
  #2912  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:57 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 57,238
I think the jury is still out, so to speak, on what the final judgement of this design will be because we've seen little more than the massing (which itself can be judged).

But the reason I say it can still be a nicely designed tower is because so much will be in the details.

It calls to mind what David Childs had to say about the Freedom Tower, regarding the building he hoped for being stripped down...


http://www.esquire.com/the-rebuilding/freedom-tower-world-trade-center-miracle-0115

Quote:
George Pataki's brief successor, the whoremongering Eliot Spitzer, came into office threatening to scrap the whole thing. Instead, the PA stripped it, piece by piece—starting with the Cube.

Side gardens? Dead. Pool? Dead.

Broad steps, where folks might sit and eat their lunch? Dead.

Stainless-steel spandrels? Shot through the eye like Moe Greene.

Again and again, David Childs went back to the drawing board. By 2008, he was clinging to his prismatic glass. Barely.

"This is a good office building, and the structure works. But there's another thing that this building aspires to—that other, final, symbolic, proportionate light-filled thing that inspires you. When the glass is on it, the faceted glass, with all the light going through and bouncing back—it's really going to be quite amazing. But we've got to get the right glass.

A simple building is not tolerant of cost cuts. It is dependent on the detailing, the right materials...."

Now, this is not to open a debate on the design of the FT, but rather on how the details can make or break a building, depending on your point of view.

This is a building that, despite the cantilever and various setbacks, is really a simple one. But I think it can work if the finer details are what I expect they will be. I'm not ready to throw it up there with the designs we have seen like 111 W. 57 and 53W53, but it could be very nice. We just don't know yet. However, if what we're shown —, I'll be among the crowd throwing bricks...
     
     
  #2913  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:00 AM
BrownTown BrownTown is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,865
I just don't get how people can look at a building where their entire life's work wouldn't even be enough to buy the cheapest unit and call it "cheap". What the hell do people want from these towers? To be clad in gold? People need to live in reality and the reality is that the building boom in NYC now is probably the most exciting in our lives. If that's not enough for you then nothing ever will be.
     
     
  #2914  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:33 AM
pico44's Avatar
pico44 pico44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I just don't get how people can look at a building where their entire life's work wouldn't even be enough to buy the cheapest unit and call it "cheap". What the hell do people want from these towers? To be clad in gold? People need to live in reality and the reality is that the building boom in NYC now is probably the most exciting in our lives. If that's not enough for you then nothing ever will be.


I didn't call the units cheap. The units could go for as much as $6000 a square foot. That isn't cheap. With all those expensive condos and a reliable tenant in Nordstrom, Barnett statnds to make an ungodly fortune. And you're right, I'll never be able to afford one. But if I could, I would make sure my money went to the developer who spared no expense not just on the interior details, but also the architecture of the external building (see JDS, Hines). I would do this not out of vanity, but out of a sense of responsibility to the public at large. Hell, I expect my neighbors to care about the outward appearance of their homes on my Westchester cul de sac; therfore--as a hypothetical investor looking for property in midtown-- shouldn't I feel an immense obligation to the city, state and country, when my home will become a permanently prominent part of the most iconic skyline in the world? Having no such purchasing power cripples me, for sure, you are certainly right about that. So I do what I can, I speak out on the forum that gives me a voice about such things. Is my outrage pointless? Probably, but I hope against hope that my criticism pierces that ball of slime that protects Gary Barnett and Harry Maclowe et al. Join me! Let them know their greed will not only shame them for the rest of their lives, but will live on after they die, as long as their monuments of miserliness mark the sky.

Last edited by pico44; Mar 4, 2015 at 3:57 AM.
     
     
  #2915  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:30 AM
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY - Cali
Posts: 6,844
If they're really that cheap I hope they don't cut the height down or anything, I'm sure he'll go taller than 111 (so at least 1420+) I'm guessing, but I really want to see this thing top Sears and even pass 1500', it would be a nice trend setter in the US.

I must say though the whole one foot shorter than 1WTC thing is just beyond stupid. Who is honestly going to care?
     
     
  #2916  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:37 AM
mistermetAJ mistermetAJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I just don't get how people can look at a building where their entire life's work wouldn't even be enough to buy the cheapest unit and call it "cheap". What the hell do people want from these towers? To be clad in gold? People need to live in reality and the reality is that the building boom in NYC now is probably the most exciting in our lives. If that's not enough for you then nothing ever will be.
It's simple. Most likely, I will never look out from the inside of this building. I will always look from the outside in. Therefore, I critique and criticize the external appearance of this building, from the street to the skyline. From the disjointed base to tacked on antenna. I couldn't care less who the building caters to or how much it costs per square foot. What I see is a structure forever intertwined with the fabric of the city and I want it to be beautiful. When it's not, I - a "middle class nobody" as you so eloquently put it in a previous post - come to a skyscraper forum, to interact with other architecture and skyscraper aficionados and discuss our opinions.

Citing the cost of a building as a means to defend bad architecture is hardly relevant to those looking from the outside in.
     
     
  #2917  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 5:27 AM
BrownTown BrownTown is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,865
I get the antenna being stupid, but what else could anyone do differently? The base and the cantilever are practical necessities given the dual nature of this design as both a Nordstrom store and a high end residential tower. If you can come up with a better design for the plot of land this is on then i'd like to hear it. The massing on 111 West 57th Street is way worse than this tower and I don't see people bashing it. I'm quite certain people will be impressed by this building when it starts to rise and they can see something real instead of just a low resolution render.
     
     
  #2918  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 8:59 PM
mistermetAJ mistermetAJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I get the antenna being stupid, but what else could anyone do differently? The base and the cantilever are practical necessities given the dual nature of this design as both a Nordstrom store and a high end residential tower. If you can come up with a better design for the plot of land this is on then i'd like to hear it. The massing on 111 West 57th Street is way worse than this tower and I don't see people bashing it. I'm quite certain people will be impressed by this building when it starts to rise and they can see something real instead of just a low resolution render.
Please explain further...
     
     
  #2919  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 PM
uaarkson's Avatar
uaarkson uaarkson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Back in Flint
Posts: 2,103
Please don't.
     
     
  #2920  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 12:03 AM
Guiltyspark's Avatar
Guiltyspark Guiltyspark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 937
The massing of 111 is perfect.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:15 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.