HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6401  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:56 PM
Twinkies's Avatar
Twinkies Twinkies is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 312
The Hospice boutique in the carriage mall on the Hanwell opened today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6402  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:20 PM
Blue Blazer's Avatar
Blue Blazer Blue Blazer is offline
The Sheriff
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
The Hospice boutique in the carriage mall on the Hanwell opened today.


*crickets* *crickets*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6403  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 10:08 PM
TeaMoon TeaMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 11
La Vie en Rose,along with Laura Secord,will be taking over the Garage store space in Regent Mall.New signage up in the construction area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6404  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 1:35 PM
Freddypop's Avatar
Freddypop Freddypop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Go Pats!
Posts: 2,343
Here is the link to the "Final Draft" of the Fredericton City Centre Plan released this week

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygovernment/citycentreplandraft.asp
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6405  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 2:09 PM
Dr.Devon Dr.Devon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Here is the link to the "Final Draft" of the Fredericton City Centre Plan released this week

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygovernment/citycentreplandraft.asp
Very interesting read. I wonder when we will start to see some of the major changes implemented.

I really like the idea of making the river more accessible but I do wonder how the removal of the clover leafs off the bridge are going to affect traffic patterns.

I also still have a long term dream to create another walking bridge on the old bridge piers. I think it could it would create a perfect walkable loop between downtown Southside and 'downtown' Northside. It could also be an interesting landmark if done correctly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6406  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 4:12 PM
trev71's Avatar
trev71 trev71 is offline
Any where but Fredericton
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 393
Checked out the new Dollar Rama this weekend on the northside across from Canadian tire. Very nice store nice and clean. lets hope they can keep it like that. Made shopping there more enjoyable
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6407  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 6:41 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Devon View Post
Very interesting read. I wonder when we will start to see some of the major changes implemented.

I really like the idea of making the river more accessible but I do wonder how the removal of the clover leafs off the bridge are going to affect traffic patterns.
Removing the CLoverleafs is an interesting idea. It's certainly going to affect traffic patterns. Smythe street will no longer have direct access onto the bridge, and Regent street will no longer have direct access off the bridge. That will make Brunswick and Westmorland streets busier. If they go through with this, I hope they will sync the lights up on Westmorland so you can have a straight run through from Brunswick; as they are timed right now, you WILL hit a Red light on King and/or Queen street (and it looks like new-Campbell will have lights too)

I just noticed the Woodstock/Smythe/Brunswick/King roundabout is on this plan too.


And on another topic entirely, what happened to the Beaverbrook Art Gallery expansion? It was announced last year (if I recall correctly), and they did some surveying; but now it seems it's completely disappeared. Was the project quietly cancelled, or are they just working out all the architecture details?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6408  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 9:13 PM
Franco401 Franco401 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Removing the CLoverleafs is an interesting idea. It's certainly going to affect traffic patterns. Smythe street will no longer have direct access onto the bridge, and Regent street will no longer have direct access off the bridge. That will make Brunswick and Westmorland streets busier. If they go through with this, I hope they will sync the lights up on Westmorland so you can have a straight run through from Brunswick; as they are timed right now, you WILL hit a Red light on King and/or Queen street (and it looks like new-Campbell will have lights too)

I just noticed the Woodstock/Smythe/Brunswick/King roundabout is on this plan too.


And on another topic entirely, what happened to the Beaverbrook Art Gallery expansion? It was announced last year (if I recall correctly), and they did some surveying; but now it seems it's completely disappeared. Was the project quietly cancelled, or are they just working out all the architecture details?
Actually, it looks like you will be able to go straight onto the bridge from Smythe, by turning left at the newly built light at St. Annes Point/York, and off towards Regent turning left at SAP/Carleton. At least I'm assuming that, it only makes since to do that and not have a merge 10 feet from traffic signals.

See page 21: http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygovernment/resources/CCPlan_4_Districts.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6409  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:55 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Actually, it looks like you will be able to go straight onto the bridge from Smythe, by turning left at the newly built light at St. Annes Point/York, and off towards Regent turning left at SAP/Carleton. At least I'm assuming that, it only makes since to do that and not have a merge 10 feet from traffic signals.

See page 21: http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygovernment/resources/CCPlan_4_Districts.pdf
I see that, but the thing is Carleton is supposed to be a "Pedestrian Focused", so it wouldn't be meant to handle the volume of traffic that the clover leaf handles. On the other hand, they also say later on:

Quote:
Modifying the Cloverleaf so that the access
and egress to the bridge occurs from a reconstituted
Campbell Street will have several positive effects in
the downtown...
so that seems to be cross purposes.

The other thing too is that those access points will require traffic lights and crossing traffic (left hand turns). Currently to get on the bridge from Smythe, you don't have to cross traffic (just merge). Ditto for getting on Regent from the bridge. Using Campbell street, you'd have to cross Westmorland to get off Campbell/on Campbell.

That said, I'm not against removing the cloverleafs; I'm just wondering about the traffic implications when all the traffic to Regent now has to cross Westmorland (and all the traffic from Smythe also has to cross Westmorland)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6410  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 1:59 PM
Blue Blazer's Avatar
Blue Blazer Blue Blazer is offline
The Sheriff
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I see that, but the thing is Carleton is supposed to be a "Pedestrian Focused", so it wouldn't be meant to handle the volume of traffic that the clover leaf handles. On the other hand, they also say later on:



so that seems to be cross purposes.

The other thing too is that those access points will require traffic lights and crossing traffic (left hand turns). Currently to get on the bridge from Smythe, you don't have to cross traffic (just merge). Ditto for getting on Regent from the bridge. Using Campbell street, you'd have to cross Westmorland to get off Campbell/on Campbell.

That said, I'm not against removing the cloverleafs; I'm just wondering about the traffic implications when all the traffic to Regent now has to cross Westmorland (and all the traffic from Smythe also has to cross Westmorland)

Ditto, I wouldnt worry too much about this topic, the bus driver will get you there no worries my friend.

The clover leafs are staying
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6411  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:19 PM
Dr.Devon Dr.Devon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Ditto, I wouldnt worry too much about this topic
You're right. What everyone really wants to know is when is Fredericton getting an Old Navy.

I took a good look at the pdf and their projections for infill are very bold. I hope to live long enough to see that kind of development downtown. It would require some pretty major demographic changes though. Here's to hoping.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6412  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 1:42 PM
balfozz balfozz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 45
I find it funny how the city always makes plans with government infrastructure - first the traffic circle over the 8 and now they want to plan to take away the off ramps when the government builds a third bridge. I think DOT should say ok city you build that third bridge for us and we will take those ramps off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6413  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:52 PM
Blue Blazer's Avatar
Blue Blazer Blue Blazer is offline
The Sheriff
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Devon View Post
You're right. What everyone really wants to know is when is Fredericton getting an Old Navy.

I took a good look at the pdf and their projections for infill are very bold. I hope to live long enough to see that kind of development downtown. It would require some pretty major demographic changes though. Here's to hoping.

we wont be getting an old navy so that isnt even worth talking about anymore only wishful thinking

Just have to order online and take advantage of the free shipping.


Just be glad when its spring and more building can start
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6414  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:34 AM
Dr.Devon Dr.Devon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Just be glad when its spring and more building can start
Agreed

Speaking of which - I noticed the old George's Shoes storefront is now boarded up as if there is some action there. I know it was gutted previously but this looks like it might construction as opposed to destruction. Anyone know anything?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6415  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:00 AM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Looks like they were redoing the entire building. Most of the work so far was done on the upper floors, replacing windows and assumably redoing the apartments? up top. THey probably finally got down to the first floor now; I think there's supposed to be another Cafe in there, but I may be wrong.

The Unplugged Game Cafe is opening this weekend in the old Cedar Tree Cafe spot. Seems like a fun concept; I hope they do well. (You can bring cells and video games, but you're hopefully there to play board games too. )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6416  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:04 PM
trev71's Avatar
trev71 trev71 is offline
Any where but Fredericton
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Looks like they were redoing the entire building. Most of the work so far was done on the upper floors, replacing windows and assumably redoing the apartments? up top. THey probably finally got down to the first floor now; I think there's supposed to be another Cafe in there, but I may be wrong.

The Unplugged Game Cafe is opening this weekend in the old Cedar Tree Cafe spot. Seems like a fun concept; I hope they do well. (You can bring cells and video games, but you're hopefully there to play board games too. )

That sounds like it would be alot of fun. Playing Monopoly on your lunch break with strangers, Or uno. Long as its not the game of "Operation" I will be fine

Sounds like a good week to launch right before March Break
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6417  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:15 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
That sounds like it would be alot of fun. Playing Monopoly on your lunch break with strangers, Or uno. Long as its not the game of "Operation" I will be fine

Sounds like a good week to launch right before March Break
Here's the CBC article on it.

Settlers of Cataan is one game of course.

And Operation is another one they show in the video.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6418  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:16 PM
Blue Blazer's Avatar
Blue Blazer Blue Blazer is offline
The Sheriff
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Here's the CBC article on it.

Settlers of Cataan is one game of course.

And Operation is another one they show in the video.

Should have a Skyscrapper game of Monopoly. All meet there and see who the winner is

Taeolas you just landed on my boardwalk you owe me $1400
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6419  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 6:30 PM
trev71's Avatar
trev71 trev71 is offline
Any where but Fredericton
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Here's the CBC article on it.

Settlers of Cataan is one game of course.

And Operation is another one they show in the video.

My wife and some of her family have a game night once in a while and its fun to play new and old games. I remember back when we first started to date I bought her a vintage old board game from 1978 off ebay . We still play it even though the box and some of the cards are starting to show its age

Last edited by trev71; Feb 27, 2015 at 6:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6420  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 12:23 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
In case anyone is curious, the City has released a breakdown of how your property tax dollars are spent.

Basically, they estimate an average monthly tax bill of 257.69$, and outline where every cent goes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.