HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6501  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:33 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
........

Last edited by Larry King; Jul 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6502  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:43 PM
br323206 br323206 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 447
Question

When you go to the main forum page there are links directly to the pages for 11 cities, including Austin and Atlanta, but not Philly? How come? It always peeved me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6503  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:49 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
I agree. Philly is going to really shine for the convention.

American liberal elites will learn the following:
  • philly is much more pleasant to walk in than their hometown
  • our coffee is better
  • our food is better
  • we're building a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 load of skyscrapers
I just heard Michael Steele, former Chair of the RNC and Lieutenant Governor of Maryland, say on MSNBC that Philly is an excellent choice for the Dems, not only because of its historical significance, but also because it's such a great city with lots of great restaurants and fun things for the delegates to do OUTSIDE of the convention. He went on to say that the Republicans had a great time in Philly when they had their convention here.

And so it begins.

And you're right: this should help to consolidate and enhance the city's image as a happening place for young, progressive, urban-centric, creative, high-tech types, and NOT a post-industrial backwater has-been.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6504  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:50 PM
japmes japmes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I do not think completion of these buildings will be possible by July of 2016. But they WILL be growing presences in the sky!
It should be a pretty impressive sight with lots of cranes and rising buildings in the skyline -- a city on the move, full of energy and commerce.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6505  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:57 PM
ILovePhilly ILovePhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 197
I do remember that when the Dems came to tour the city in August in their convention site search one of the most talked about things (that made the paper) by the Mayor and our Former Governor was the fact that in 2016 there would be as many as 10 tower cranes in the city, many within sight of the convention itself, that would create really positive and energetic vibe at the convention and in the visuals for the national coverage. Plus it would let them use words and phrases like "jobs" "good paying jobs" "well paying jobs" and "union jobs" like 500 times in their coverage; possibly also "investment" and "private industry". Literally the sight of so much construction was a big selling point of the City. Pretty cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6506  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 6:11 PM
Muji's Avatar
Muji Muji is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1,190
Great news about the DNC! I was already pretty happy to see the very positive national press that the city was getting in the runup to the decision. Congratulations, Philadelphia!
__________________
My blog of then and now photos of LA: http://urbandiachrony.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6507  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 7:50 PM
philly13 philly13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
When you go to the main forum page there are links directly to the pages for 11 cities, including Austin and Atlanta, but not Philly? How come? It always peeved me.
I messaged summers about that a little bit ago and he said he would ask an admin to change it. I haven't heard anything more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6508  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:56 PM
Outta here's Avatar
Outta here Outta here is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 1060 W. Addison
Posts: 400
Ahead of the curve ??

I'm not sure why I couldn't transfer the picture but , I guess there are some things better left to the imagination .

While reading through a CN Construction News article , I came across this
story about a 24 story high rise at 60-70 St. Mary Axe London , that has been delayed since 2008 . It is dubbed the " Can of Ham " . I can't describe
my feelings about this ...... thing . I guess it mostly made me smile . The
one positive for me is , better them than Philly . Hope someone can post
this entertaining image of architectural slender .......
__________________


.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6509  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 10:49 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
I just wanted to re-visit my post from earlier today.

By July 2016 (17 months from now), I would expect:

CITC - Should be topped out or close to being topped out. If you look at construction of the CC on Phillyskyline , CITC is now where the original building was in Dec of 2005 and the topping off ceremony took place 18 months later. If it stays on schedule, CITC will be very visible from nearly all angles.

FMC - If the CITC is nearly topped off by July 2016, then I'd expect FMC to be topped off and halfway cladded. Due to its location, it will be visible from most angles.

SLS and W/Element - Seems like these two are in the preliminary site prep stages. If both projects pick up pace and go right into construction, then I'd expect cores of a few hundred feet - maybe higher since neither have underground parking.

700 Schuylkill - I recall reading somewhere that Phase 1 (the tall tower) will be complete in 2017, so hopefully by July 2016 we'll see a core of a few hundred feet and a visible crane due to its location.

1601 Vine - L&I sign says anticipated completion date is Dec 2017, so that means it should be topped off or close to it with some cladding. Despite it not being very tall, it's location will make the crane pretty visible from some angles.

Market East Projects - Both East Market and the 1200 Chestnut Street projects should be close to wrapping up, removing huge eyesores so close to the Convention Center. I also think that the 8th Street garage facade redo will be complete (should be done this year).

1919 Market - Should be just completed. Per the L&I sign on site, it's scheduled to be completed May 2016, so this crane will be down.

And who knows what other projects will be breaking ground or under construction by then? 500 Walnut? 1900 Walnut? Some project that hasn't even been announced yet? Exciting times indeed!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6510  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 1:44 AM
mih216 mih216 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
500 Walnut: They've cut down all the trees and are putting up a construction fence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6511  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 2:32 AM
UPenn18's Avatar
UPenn18 UPenn18 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: University City
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I just wanted to re-visit my post from earlier today.

By July 2016 (17 months from now), I would expect:

CITC - Should be topped out or close to being topped out. If you look at construction of the CC on Phillyskyline , CITC is now where the original building was in Dec of 2005 and the topping off ceremony took place 18 months later. If it stays on schedule, CITC will be very visible from nearly all angles.

FMC - If the CITC is nearly topped off by July 2016, then I'd expect FMC to be topped off and halfway cladded. Due to its location, it will be visible from most angles.

SLS and W/Element - Seems like these two are in the preliminary site prep stages. If both projects pick up pace and go right into construction, then I'd expect cores of a few hundred feet - maybe higher since neither have underground parking.

700 Schuylkill - I recall reading somewhere that Phase 1 (the tall tower) will be complete in 2017, so hopefully by July 2016 we'll see a core of a few hundred feet and a visible crane due to its location.

1601 Vine - L&I sign says anticipated completion date is Dec 2017, so that means it should be topped off or close to it with some cladding. Despite it not being very tall, it's location will make the crane pretty visible from some angles.

Market East Projects - Both East Market and the 1200 Chestnut Street projects should be close to wrapping up, removing huge eyesores so close to the Convention Center. I also think that the 8th Street garage facade redo will be complete (should be done this year).

1919 Market - Should be just completed. Per the L&I sign on site, it's scheduled to be completed May 2016, so this crane will be down.

And who knows what other projects will be breaking ground or under construction by then? 500 Walnut? 1900 Walnut? Some project that hasn't even been announced yet? Exciting times indeed!
Great prediction: I'll Hold you to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6512  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 2:22 PM
Mappy Mappy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 259
Anyone know how the Live Casino and Hotel will factor in?

That (Holiday Inn) is the only hotel in walking distance to Well Fargo, and I would think it would be in full-on renovation/construction stages in mid-2016.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6513  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 2:46 PM
ILovePhilly ILovePhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 197
There's also One Riverside. I don't know what's happening with that project but originally it was supposed to break ground this spring. Parking lot hasn't been cleared yet, though.

CHOP at South Street is underway now. I imagine the crane will still be in place in the summer of 2016 but I couldn't say for sure.

Last edited by ILovePhilly; Feb 13, 2015 at 2:47 PM. Reason: I remembered CHOP!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6514  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 3:18 PM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Pretty slick new feature on Philly.com called "Philly's on a roll" (and I don't think that's a sandwich-related pun).

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Philly_is_on_a_national_roll.html
__________________
South Jerseyist
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6515  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 3:34 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
Anyone know how the Live Casino and Hotel will factor in?

That (Holiday Inn) is the only hotel in walking distance to Well Fargo, and I would think it would be in full-on renovation/construction stages in mid-2016.
unfortunately i doubt it will be done in time. Maybe we can stick some slot machines in xfinity live for the event?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6516  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:29 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePhilly View Post
There's also One Riverside. I don't know what's happening with that project but originally it was supposed to break ground this spring. Parking lot hasn't been cleared yet, though.

CHOP at South Street is underway now. I imagine the crane will still be in place in the summer of 2016 but I couldn't say for sure.
The lot at 25th and Locust where One Riverside will sit has indeed been closed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6517  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:36 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,907
Exclusive: Third Comcast skyscraper possibly in the works as Center City block bought piece-by-piece

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...st-skyscraper-possibly-in-the-works.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6518  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:38 PM
ILovePhilly ILovePhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The lot at 25th and Locust where One Riverside will sit has indeed been closed.
Well that is a brand new development since last Saturday when I walked by there last so I think that's a great sign that things are moving forward there!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6519  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:41 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Exclusive: Third Comcast skyscraper possibly in the works as Center City block bought piece-by-piece

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...st-skyscraper-possibly-in-the-works.html
Love it!

Either way, Liberty is assembling these properties for a reason.

I updated the 1901 Arch thread here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=201507
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6520  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:56 PM
Outta here's Avatar
Outta here Outta here is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 1060 W. Addison
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Exclusive: Third Comcast skyscraper possibly in the works as Center City block bought piece-by-piece

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...st-skyscraper-possibly-in-the-works.html

Hope were not getting ahead of ourselves with this . I seem to recall there
was plans for a second Comcast high rise when the first one was built . But
I believe that building was to be around 300' tall . It would be off the chart
neat to see another 1,000 footer cater corner to CITC , but right now , I just want to see this big baby topped off .
__________________


.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:02 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.