HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4321  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 10:43 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
This site is so weird, my girlfriend stumbled on it the other day and was amazed.
Over the years I have never let my girlfriends know that I frequent this site. They all know, or have known, me as a smart person and I wouldn't want them to think I'm retarded.

Also wouldn't want them to be like "wow, if you have THIS much free time to waste, then you can do XYZ more for me/us".
     
     
  #4322  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 10:45 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
Never mind.

Last edited by O-tacular; Feb 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM.
     
     
  #4323  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 10:56 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I don't think any ordinary Joe even compares Calgary and Montreal's skylines.
In fact they very well might. They might observe that Calgary's is surprisingly tall for a city of its size. Or, for someone moving the opposite way, that Montreal's set of office towers is underwhelming for a metro population basin that's equivalent to AB (and even more than AB I think if you include satellite cities in Greater Mtl).

Those would just be natural observations that ordinary Joes might make upon going from one of these two cities to the other. Of course for ordinary Joes it's just a simple observation, they do not expect it to offend; if anyone really wishes to get in a fight over those facts then that person needs to grow a tougher skin and start working on accepting reality.
     
     
  #4324  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 10:59 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
FWIW I used to post my Edmonton skyline shots here and they were either ignored, or as Metro mentioned, given patronizing "good job Edmonton, keep working at it" comments, so I stopped bothering.

Can't speak for the other Edmonton posters, but personally I stopped giving a damn what the rest of Canada thinks of us years ago.
I always enjoyed your photo updates!
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #4325  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:01 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I always enjoyed your photo updates!
Me too - and I hope to God I said so. His pictures are gorgeous.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #4326  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:05 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,269
This is probably the best view of the skyline from the east. Good find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Calgary looked really pretty on Friday, with some fresh snow.


Calgary Skyline by Tim M. Shephard, on Flickr
     
     
  #4327  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:07 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
This is probably the best view of the skyline from the east. Good find
Quote:
Yeah, I agree, it's a super nice view and super nice skyline.







(... just kidding but I nonetheless think it's a nice view and skyline from that vantage point.)
     
     
  #4328  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:59 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
Amazing Calgary shots guys.

Here is a recent Toronto shot from a passenger plane.


Posted by: http://justinpluslauren.com


     
     
  #4329  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:59 PM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
For ordinary real-world people, what goes on here is mind-boggling. Mind-bogglingly retarded.
What goes on here is what goes on in every other discussion forum I have seen. We're talking highly educated people acting like 12 year olds.
     
     
  #4330  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:24 AM
dleung's Avatar
dleung dleung is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Over the years I have never let my girlfriends know that I frequent this site. They all know, or have known, me as a smart person and I wouldn't want them to think I'm retarded.
lol same here. No one knows I use this site. I don't mind people knowing I'm on Urbantoronto though, but it requires a different screenname.
     
     
  #4331  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:44 AM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
This is probably the best view of the skyline from the east. Good find
The east angle is actually my favourite angle of the skyline. Maybe i'm the odd one out but I find the other angles look less dynamic.
__________________
River District Big Government progressive
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
     
     
  #4332  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:48 AM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
lol same here. No one knows I use this site. I don't mind people knowing I'm on Urbantoronto though, but it requires a different screenname.

"Haw haw, I'm too cool to be here with you dorks!


...but I post here regularly anyway."
__________________
     
     
  #4333  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:58 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
     
     
  #4334  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:02 AM
dleung's Avatar
dleung dleung is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
"Haw haw, I'm too cool to be here with you dorks!


...but I post here regularly anyway."
why u attack me and not lio
     
     
  #4335  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:11 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
why u attack me and not lio
Cheer up, he was attacking me too Or at least I read it that way.
     
     
  #4336  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:17 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,363
I think he was ridiculing you both equally!

But honestly, I don't think there's any shame in being ashamed of being here. Anyone with any self respect shouldn't go around advertising it. Sure we might enjoy it, but there's no denying it's a super dorked-out, geekazoid nerd fest!
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
     
     
  #4337  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:18 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,326
My Mom thinks it's cool that I meet people who visit St. John's from my "building chat online".

Oh... I see.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #4338  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:22 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,363


Yes moms tend to like when their kids get involved in something "wholesome" where they're not going to get hurt or get into any trouble.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
     
     
  #4339  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:22 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
I'm most impressed by those that were prewarned of what was transpiring and, instead of just ignoring the thread, felt compelled to open it and rant about people expressing they passion for their cities.

On another note, yeah, urbantoronto isn't overrun by grandstanding.
     
     
  #4340  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:29 AM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
On another note, yeah, urbantoronto isn't overrun by grandstanding.
What are you going to compete with? People who get defensive about any mention of Vaughan eventually get sacked.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.