HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Have we seen this one before?

Looking south down Vine from just above Hollywood Blvd, 1942. There's the Equitable and Taft buildings on the left and the Broadway Hollywood and Plaza Hotel on the right.

The guy was using a heck of a lens b/c one can make out the Ravenswood and El Royale rooftop signs on N Rossmore over two and a half miles away.

There's a small movie house in the lower right corner of the shot I'm not familiar with.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/21393/rec/7
It's probably that lens that caught you out, because that "small movie house in the lower right corner" is the Hollywood Playhouse at 1735 Vine Street. Here's a 1938 picture from Martin Turnbull's blog.

www.martinturnbull.com

This is how it looked until fairly recently.

you-are-here.com

But now they've gone for a gray and white paint scheme.

GSV

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 11:34 PM

Thank you HossC! I've corrected my post

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 8, 2015 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:14 AM

I just found this exceedingly rare photograph of 'Ferguson Alley' in Los Angeles' Chinatown on eBay. (1880s....1890s?)
I'm still trying to make out what's in the distance....are those smokestacks or a building under construction? -& there also appears to be a water-tower partially hidden behind the wooden support-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Men-...item234ab10597

Does anyone know what the Chinese symbol stands for in the upper right coner? scroll right----->

here's the reverse

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:32 AM

The Hollywood Playhouse

The theater was known as the El Capitan in the 1940's; it was home to Ken Murray's Blackouts. In the 1960's it was the Hollywood Palace and more recently it was renamed the Avalon. The cafeteria next door was the Ontra.

Last edited by BDiH; Feb 9, 2015 at 2:35 AM. Reason: addition

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:41 AM

You're absolutely correct BDiH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

'Ken Murray Blackouts of 1948' at the El Capitan on Vine Street in Hollywood.

below: 'Blackouts' placard along the street.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/incl...title_id=26812

For more information on Ken Murray and his long running stage show clink on the link.
http://projects.latimes.com/hollywoo...lk/ken-murray/

__

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
The theater was known as the El Capitan in the 1940's; it was home to Ken Murray's Blackouts. In the 1960's it was the Hollywood Palace and more recently it was renamed the Avalon. The cafeteria next door was the Ontra.
Thank you BDiH. Very much appreciated. It's responses like yours (& HossC's and e-r's) that make this thread so special. Thanks to all of you.

Turns out the Ontra lasted until 1990

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 9, 2015 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:56 AM

e-r, the street in your photo looks too wide to be Ferguson Alley (?)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:57 AM

John Marshall High School

Note the Shakespeare Bridge to the bottom left of the school.

FranklinHills.org

Hollywood Walker website

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:29 AM
BANNED

Ken Murray - Hollywood

Ken Murray of Blackouts fame, made many home movies of his Hollywood friends in their natural surroundings and often without makeup.

He reveals what they were like at home......

Here's the link to one of his home movies of the movie stars.....part one of three......

http://youtu.be/a27wxiJjec0

Murray

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanklem View Post

FranklinHills.org

Hollywood Walker website
That school is John Marshall H.S. My alma mater, class of '67. I believe it's a historic landmark.

Andys

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:36 AM

Hotel Boyle

Workman Collection
On the corner of 1st and Boyle

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:59 AM

Quote:
A slightly different angle

Also, some priors on the Cummings Block / Boyle Hotel:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9671
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14464
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14466

I miss the chimneys. I wish they'd faked them.

boyleheightsbeat.com

wiki

How does one run the flag up the pole?

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 9, 2015 at 8:58 AM. Reason: add pix

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
And here's another photograph, this time a snapshot with a 'mystery' street.

Los Angeles, 1930s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item5670656e3a

This will take some sleuthing. I can almost make out the name of the service station proprietor.....Jess B_ _ _ __ .
and what does it say before Eagle....is it Golden Eagle?

(I hope that swell apartment building is still standing)
__
The name of the gas station proprietor is Jess Boykin. A 1937 directory gives the gas station address as 3600 Sunset Blvd. Jess Boykin was born in Texas in 1893. He appears in the 1940 census, living with his wife's father and brother at 1408 Maltman, which would have been just around the corner from the gas station. The property where the gas station stood is now a parking lot for a 99 cent store. The County Assessor's office lists the parking lot with a "build date" of 1971, so this may have been when the gas station was torn down. The apartment building, visible in the background with the twin towers at the corners, is still there.

While the bench that the people were sitting on has been replaced by a plexiglass and aluminum bus shelter, there are still visible, marks on the pavement to the left of that shelter which would have been where the concrete feet of the old bench would have been bolted down.

Directly across Sunset from the bus bench is a brick building, which is only partly seen in the original photo. It is now a café with outside seating. The building just behind the gas station, which appears to be a frame building is also now gone, a victim of the parking lot. The building that now houses the 99 Cent Store was also in the picture. The assessor's office indicates that it was built in 1936.

Last edited by oldstuff; Feb 9, 2015 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
I just found this exceedingly rare photograph of Ferguson Alley in Los Angeles' Chinatown on eBay. (1880s....1890s?)
I'm still trying to make out what's in the distance....are those smokestacks or a building under construction? -& there also appears to be a water-tower partially hidden behind the wooden support-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Men-...item234ab10597

My guess is we're looking north on Los Angeles Street from its intersection with Ferguson Alley, with the Lugo Adobe just ahead of us.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post

The name of the gas station proprietor is Jess Boykin. A 1937 directory gives the gas station address as 3600 Sunset Blvd. Jess Boykin was born in Texas in 1893. He appears in the 1940 census, living with his wife's father and brother at 1408 Maltman, which would have been just around the corner from the gas station. The property where the gas station stood is now a parking lot for a 99 cent store. The County Assessor's office lists the parking lot with a "build date" of 1971, so this may have been when the gas station was torn down. The apartment building, visible in the background with the twin towers at the corners, is still there.

While the bench that the people were sitting on has been replaced by a plexiglass and aluminum bus shelter, there are still visible, marks on the pavement to the left of that shelter which would have been where the concrete feet of the old bench would have been bolted down.

Directly across Sunset from the bus bench is a brick building, which is only partly seen in the original photo. It is now a café with outside seating. The building just behind the gas station, which appears to be a frame building is also now gone, a victim of the parking lot. The building that now houses the 99 Cent Store was also in the picture. The assessor's office indicates that it was built in 1936.
Good spot, oldstuff. I'd decided that the text under "GOLDEN EAGLE" might say "RADAR ETHYL", but I was nowhere near "Boykin" for the surname. Here's an approximation of the same view today.

GSV

And a frontal view of the apartment building.

GSV

The gas station and building next to the apartments seem to have already gone to make way for the parking lot by 1964 (going by Historic Aerials). They may have gone even earlier, but the 1948 and 1952 images are too blurry to be sure.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
This photo is currently on eBay. Google Earth has the address 505 Crenshaw at the corner of Crenshaw and 208th Street. The track currently stops inside of the Mobil refinery. The Santa Fe line also runs across Crenshaw a bit further south but, at a diagonal and elevated.

This might be of interest as you are in Hermosa.
Great find on the Santa Fe Hermosa Beach depot postcard and contrasting torrance postcard, stanklem!

And kudos to C. King on locating the abandoned rails site. That is exactly where I would have sent you. It is a great reference for abandoned railroads throughout the state.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
My guess is we're looking north on Los Angeles Street from its intersection with Ferguson Alley, with the Lugo Adobe just ahead of us.

I agree. Possibly Capitol Milling Co is looming large in the distance.
Here's a similar shot but I'm not sure if it's the Lugo House here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebisebster View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
A man peers in a shop window near a barber pole in Chinatown. It is in Los Angeles St? Photo date: circa 1920.
Is there are barber pole here?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1368

Last edited by fhammon; Feb 9, 2015 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:45 PM

Here's a circa 1890-1895 of the Lugo house and its neighbors. Other than the absence of the brick wall on the left of e_r's picture, the other details like the sloping roof and the steps in front of the properties to the right of the Lugo house all seem to be present.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Here's the full image.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:45 PM

Is it Lugo House or Lugo Adobe? I know the two names refer to different buildings, but I always seem to get them confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Here's a circa 1890-1895 of the Lugo house and its neighbors. Other than the absence of the brick wall on the left of e_r's picture, the other details like the sloping roof and the steps in front of the properties to the right of the Lugo house all seem to be present.

USC Digital Library

What a truly fabulous picture. I could (and probably will) spend the whole day just gazing at the magnified details, especially the views in the far distance. I can hardly recognize the topography in its as-yet undeveloped state.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post

Is it Lugo House or Lugo Adobe? I know the two names refer to different buildings, but I always seem to get them confused.
A quick Google shows that both names are used almost interchangeably by different sources when referring to the building on the Plaza, although I'd guess that Lugo Adobe is more correct. In my defense, I used "house" with a lowercase "h" to simply imply that it was the house of the Lugo family .

ETA: I've just noticed that the USC caption for the image I posted is "View of the Los Angeles Plaza from the Mission Los Angeles toward the Lugo House".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos