HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #601  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 3:48 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
They've said many times over the course of the design phase, and now construction, that they don't intend for the tower to be supported by EPAC.
Many times? They? I've certainly heard people speculate about that on this forum, but haven't seen anything that says it officially. Though, I thought that might be the case also until I saw the no column lobby design. Anyways, I contacted Bruce Lyman, and he did say that it will be suspended over EPAC. So, that settles that. It's the curious, over analytical architect inside of me that keeps asking and asking about something as crazy of a structure this is, but sometimes annoys a few on here in the process. Anyways, here's to an amazing structure that this will be!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #602  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 10:17 PM
SLC2GeorgetownU's Avatar
SLC2GeorgetownU SLC2GeorgetownU is offline
SLC or BUST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 54
111 design

This is my take on the design of 111. 100% of the buildings weight is supported by the "gravity core" 1/3 of the buildings weight is distributed by the hat truss to the core. Each floor plate has a series of trusses or beams that branch out from the core and tie into the outer beams that tie into the hat truss at the top. They will build each floor with the metal floor sheet only until they build all the floors up to the roof and tie into the hat truss, then poor the slab concrete on each floor. And the way they balance the weight of the north end having a few floors more below the south end, is they shift the floor plate say a foot or two to the south making the core look off-centered but balances the weight difference.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #603  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 11:34 PM
Twothirty8 Twothirty8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
EPAC update:

I took a tour today of the EPAC and here’s some info I remember.
-Starting March the exterior cladding will begin.
-The EPAC height is completed.
-Plumbing/Electrical etc is being worked on now.
-There is a crew of 150 working on the site 6 days a week, from 7am-10pm at night.
-They are ahead of schedule but wouldn’t say how much.
-The tower next door has a foundation gap of two and half feet and is a month behind schedule but are catching up.
-Regent St will be completely redone, with higher end street materials, landscaping, lighting, art installations, and flow pretty seamlessly from City Creek Center, with a focus on leading walkers through the mid street walkway to Main St, but will also continue on down to Second South.
-The EPAC is scheduled to open April of 2016.
-The water pump system starts on the roof, go down a piping system to holding stations in the basement and pumped out to the Main St water line. Sounded pretty nuts.
-There will be art installations all throughout the foyer and they met with the artists on Monday and they seemed super psyched about it.
-Parts of the foundation have 5’ of concrete, so that the audience won’t be able to feel Trax pass by.

What they are accomplishing, with such speed is quite remarkable, especially since both construction crews of the Tower and EPAC have to work around and with each other. No word on when the Tower will be completed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #604  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 7:47 AM
UrbanDesign UrbanDesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 69
Thanks for the update Twothirty8, pretty stoked how fast EPAC is moving. Did you learn anything new about the structural system for 111 tower? I'm very interested to learn more about how the building is supported.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #605  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 6:11 PM
Twothirty8 Twothirty8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDesign View Post
Thanks for the update Twothirty8, pretty stoked how fast EPAC is moving. Did you learn anything new about the structural system for 111 tower? I'm very interested to learn more about how the building is supported.
Unfortunately the tour guides didn't talk much about the tower. They did say that it is a gravity core and that the EPAC is in no way supporting the tower. Also, I forgot to mention that in a month the huge roof trusses will be put in place for the auditorium section. They were really excited about this and said it will be awesome to see happen. I'll try to find out an exact date.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #606  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:17 AM
Twothirty8 Twothirty8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
Here's some pics of my EPAC Tour. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.



Woah, Wall!





First Level foyer looking towards Main St



Steel Workers on the first level.



Looking toward 1st South from the main level, so you are seeing Tower construction.



Hallway to Auditorium/Stage



First Floor near Main Street



What I presume to be looking up towards the Blackbox area.



This is a look up at all the walkways of different levels, you will be able to see this view from the main foyer.



This is the gap between the EPAC and the Tower. I think I must have heard wrong, because that gap ain't 2.5'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #607  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:57 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Those pictures are amazing, thank you for posting them
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #608  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:42 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Hey, can anyone take a tour, or do you have to be in the in-crowd or have a career related to it or sleep with someone or...I mean, I'll do any of those things. Whatever.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #609  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 10:57 PM
Twothirty8 Twothirty8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
I'm not sure it's open to the public. I just showed up, and I was never asked a question. I did have an in with my GF who knows some people who know some people. But most people seemed like they didn't know much about what was going on and I probably asked the most questions.

So this is what you should do. Show up at the Priority Dispatch Building located on 1st South in-between State St and Main St. You meet on the Second Floor at the Layton Construction Office, go up the back stairwell of the building to get there, it's kinda hard to find the office. It's at noon every Wednesday. Just tell them you are with some developer, or firm, or media outlet, etc etc. Good luck.

And, they said the building is moving along so quickly that the tour literally changes every week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #610  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:20 AM
Your Boy Blue Your Boy Blue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 61
I know we just had some good pics, but I was out for a little stroll today and grabbed a few pics of the theatre from the Regent Street side.

I love this angle...looks so dense. When the Regent Street makeover is done I think it's going to have a great vibe.

















Reply With Quote
     
     
  #611  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:03 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
Thanks for the pics! It is cool to see this from Regent Street, I'm excited to see how the street will change once this project is done. This reminds me of when I was at school at the U, they had us do a project on how to revitalize Regent Street and we did some research on the history. It was once a vibrant street and if I remember correct, that's where Salt Lake's version of Chinatown was. So it is cool to see something other than parking garages fronting the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #612  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:45 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Thanks for the pics guys. Welcome back your boy blue. It's been a long time.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #613  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:31 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise_Mike View Post
Thanks for the pics! It is cool to see this from Regent Street, I'm excited to see how the street will change once this project is done. This reminds me of when I was at school at the U, they had us do a project on how to revitalize Regent Street and we did some research on the history. It was once a vibrant street and if I remember correct, that's where Salt Lake's version of Chinatown was. So it is cool to see something other than parking garages fronting the street.

Regent street was the red light district, full of brothels and adult entertainment. An alleyway running north and south between regent street and state street, called Plumb Alley, was Salt Lake City's old chinatown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #614  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:36 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Regent street was the red light district, full of brothels and adult entertainment. An alleyway running north and south between regent street and state street, called Plumb Alley, was Salt Lake City's old chinatown.
Plumb Alley still exists as exactly that, an alley. It runs under the Regent St Garage on the east side it extends from Orpheum Ave and 200 S. It is the rear access to the former Zims building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #615  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:47 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Regent street was the red light district, full of brothels and adult entertainment. An alleyway running north and south between regent street and state street, called Plumb Alley, was Salt Lake City's old chinatown.
You're right, that sounds more accurate! Maybe I won't hope for Regent Street's former glory, but it will be good to see some improvement there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #616  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:51 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Regent street was the red light district, full of brothels and adult entertainment. An alleyway running north and south between regent street and state street, called Plumb Alley, was Salt Lake City's old chinatown.
Could a back alley that doesn't even stretch a single city block really be classified as a "town"... But then again this is the state where our current China town exist in a recently remodeled Fred Meyer that had been more or less abandoned for 15-20 years... So I guess anything is possible
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #617  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:50 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Not to be too critical but it is Plum Alley, like the fruit and not Plumb as in reference to being level.

I am looking forward to seeing what they have planned for Regent Street. My one concern is that a lot of the area where restaurants could be located, on the east side of Regent Street in the ground floor of the existing parking garage is owned by the LDS Church. I am assuming that they will not want to have alcohol served on their property. Because there is such a huge profit margin in alcohol sales, most restaurants will not locate where they cannot serve.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #618  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:24 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Rising

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #619  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:23 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Not to be too critical but it is Plum Alley, like the fruit and not Plumb as in reference to being level.
My bad.

Quote:
I am looking forward to seeing what they have planned for Regent Street. My one concern is that a lot of the area where restaurants could be located, on the east side of Regent Street in the ground floor of the existing parking garage is owned by the LDS Church. I am assuming that they will not want to have alcohol served on their property. Because there is such a huge profit margin in alcohol sales, most restaurants will not locate where they cannot serve.


Why not alcohol? Plenty of tenants on their property already sell tea and coffee... If there is any distinction in their minds between their different prohibitions, it would certainly be an arbitrary one! As usual, just another ridiculous stumbling block to progress.

Last edited by Old&New; Feb 10, 2015 at 7:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #620  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 1:06 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
There is the option that they could master lease all the street level retail, of the parking garage to one company and that company could then lease to who they see fit. I'm sure there would be some restrictions in the master lease agreement, maybe not stand alone bars but possibly small restaurants that still serve alcohol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.