HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #581  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 9:05 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Only half of the lobby doesn't have supports.
Well, whether its half or all, that portion of the lobby with no supports plus the portion above 111 definitely seems to be more than 1/3. I'm just sayin' that if 1/3 of the building is cantilevered, I'm not sure how they are able to achieve cantilevering both over EPAC and over that portion of the glass lobby.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #582  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 9:11 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Well, whether its half or all, that portion of the lobby with no supports plus the portion above 111 definitely seems to be more than 1/3. I'm just sayin' that if 1/3 of the building is cantilevered, I'm not sure how they are able to achieve cantilevering both over EPAC and over that portion of the glass lobby.
I'm not an architect. So, I don't know, but this is what I'm seeing from the renderings. This is a gross oversimplification and sizes are nowhere near exact. I think I drew the open lobby too large.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #583  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 9:28 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
111's core looks like it's gotten a little bit higher this time around after driving pass the site today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #584  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 11:45 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I'm not an architect. So, I don't know, but this is what I'm seeing from the renderings. This is a gross oversimplification and sizes are nowhere near exact. I think I drew the open lobby too large.

I stand corrected. I'll pay attention to the detail when I drive by after work
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #585  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 1:27 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Here's a pic from an instagram user.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #586  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:09 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I'm not an architect. So, I don't know, but this is what I'm seeing from the renderings. This is a gross oversimplification and sizes are nowhere near exact. I think I drew the open lobby too large.

I think you're pretty spot on, as far as the general idea goes. I'm guessing from the architects renderings though that the three supports you have on the north wall and the one on the west wall might not be there. As it appears that the entire front of the building on the ground level is slightly set back from the upper floors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #587  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:59 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I think you're pretty spot on, as far as the general idea goes. I'm guessing from the architects renderings though that the three supports you have on the north wall and the one on the west wall might not be there. As it appears that the entire front of the building on the ground level is slightly set back from the upper floors.
I thought the north wall was set back at first, but when I zoomed into the photo and looked carefully, it looks to me like the wood screen comes within 2 or 3 feet of the glass and below that in the white area is the entrance to the retail area. So, I'm pretty sure the diagrams is fairly accurate. If the north wall is set back, it doesn't seem like it would be more than 5-6 feet back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #588  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:11 PM
SLC Ute SLC Ute is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
It's a much discussed fact on this forum.

But there's also this: "Skidmore Owings & Merrill, the international architecture firm behind 222 Main, had designed a state-of-the-art hat truss for 111 Main that will allow them to build 21,000-square-foot floors on a 17,000-square-foot footprint, using a cantilever system that will essentially support a third of the weight from the roof, Bingham said."

Source: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/56945533-79/main-salt-building-office.html.csp
The article you reference has an image that clearly demonstrates the 1/3 of the building that is cantilevered. The problem with that article is that it is from 2013, when the design of the building looked something like this:


Source: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/56945533-79/main-salt-building-office.html.csp

Which clearly has ground level columns that are no longer included in their updated designs. As seen below:



Source: www.111mainslc.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #589  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:26 PM
SLC Ute SLC Ute is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I'm not an architect. So, I don't know, but this is what I'm seeing from the renderings. This is a gross oversimplification and sizes are nowhere near exact. I think I drew the open lobby too large.

Here is a different angle of the lobby.



Source: www.111mainslc.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not see any columns.

Also, the website is advertising a column-free design on EACH floor... Until I see ground-level columns in place, I am standing by my assumption that it will be supported from the roof.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #590  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 5:44 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I'm not an architect. So, I don't know, but this is what I'm seeing from the renderings. This is a gross oversimplification and sizes are nowhere near exact. I think I drew the open lobby too large.

Nice diagram Stenar. Though, I don't think there are columns along 1st South, and that definitely shows way more than 1/3 of the floor space column free. But, anyways, the whole idea of having that lobby column free is amazing in itself. To me, that is the most impressive part of this tower design. There's a tower here in Seattle that rises up from a central core. I think it's called the Rainier building. Anyways, it is really sketchy looking, and it seems to defy gravity. It looks like a regular 40-story office building supported on a mushrooming 10-story podium of about 1/3 its perimeter area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #591  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:59 AM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
Taken this evening.









Reply With Quote
     
     
  #592  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:34 AM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Thank you T-Mac! Awesome as always!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #593  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 5:00 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
Love the pics! Thanks for posting them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #594  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 2:19 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
T-Mac yay!!

*confetti*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #595  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 5:55 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Unless there are columns that are still below ground level. I don't see how the columns on the north side of the UPAC are thick enough to support the volume or weight that is going to be supposedly placed on them. They would not only have to support the cantilever over the upac but also the the structure of ever the lobby. Are we sure these columns are going to support or help support the structure?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #596  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 9:20 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
Unless there are columns that are still below ground level. I don't see how the columns on the north side of the UPAC are thick enough to support the volume or weight that is going to be supposedly placed on them. They would not only have to support the cantilever over the upac but also the the structure of ever the lobby. Are we sure these columns are going to support or help support the structure?
EPAC is not going to support 111 Main in any way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #597  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 3:21 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Tmac, welcome back!

Stenar, how do you know that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #598  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:56 AM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Tmac, welcome back!

Stenar, how do you know that?
To me it makes a whole lot more sense that EPAC isn't supporting 111. If EPAC were supporting 111 in anyway, I would think that the elevator shaft would be placed more to the north to balance out the weight that it is ultimately supporting via the roof. By putting the elevator shaft directly in the center of the tower (accounting to the dimensions above the ceiling of EPAC, not those simply at ground level) it makes the building symmetrical as it relates to the elevator shaft and thus puts equal weight around rather than having unequal weight which, to me as a non-architect, would seem to weaken the structure rather than strengthen it.

Thus ultimately, the placement of where the shaft is now makes me believe that 111 will be cantilevered over EPAC but won't be physically supported by it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #599  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 6:28 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Tmac, welcome back!

Stenar, how do you know that?
They've said many times over the course of the design phase, and now construction, that they don't intend for the tower to be supported by EPAC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #600  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 5:18 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
November 2010



January 2015

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:56 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.