HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 3:46 AM
BANNED

Remember those who are without....

Union Rescue Mission - Los Angeles, 1930s

The nickel

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 4:23 AM

I lived in this neighborhood from 1990 to well into the 2000s; I remember the Bruin Flower Shop was locked shut for pretty much all that time, throughout which it looked like the owners simply closed up like they had done at the end of any other business day, and decided they were done. Nobody ever came to remove or sell off the display fixtures, and I'm not 100% sure that there weren't leftover cuttings or other dried plant materials.

ETA: I often used to get take-out from the California Wok. IIRC, that mural or wallpaper shown above one of the booths in Hoss's picture is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Ben's Restaurant, 12004 Wilshire Boulevard, circa 1950s.

eBay

California Wok, 12004 Wilshire Boulevard, 2014.

GSV

According to propertyshark.com, the restaurant building dates from 1942, and the building next door (below) was constructed in 1953.

GSV

Then I spotted this little building at 12020 Wilshire Boulevard. Now occupied by the School of Rock, propertyshark.com says this one was built in 1936. I don't know what it was originally - historic Streetview images show it boarded up in 2007 with a neon sign left over from when it was the Bruin Flower Shop, and as Pineapple Fitness in 2009.

GSV

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Dec 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 4:54 AM

Is Google SV dying a slow painful death?

(Please forgive the digression, but I think this is of interest to everyone here.)

Is it just me or has the quality of Google Street View imagery been taking a huge nosedive lately? I understand that they have started to automatically blur all faces, license plates, and even some signs on businesses, schools, and government buildings, but from what I've seen the results of this blurring process bleeds over, in some cases, into the entire FOV.

Here are some examples I recently screenshotted from DTLA. These were taken from my Android device, on which the problem seems much worse.

Plaza Church, through frosted glass darkly

The campanile

City Hall. You'll notice the top of the tower is even blurrier than the rest of the building; could it be there were one or two tiny figures on the observation deck, so they had to blur it? Whatever, makes the world safe for privacy, I guess.

It's still considerably better on my notebook, although there is a noticeably longer lag from the time you click into Street View until the image becomes reasonably clear. Also, that "zoom rectangle" which used to let you get close up to the side of a building, doesn't seem to work anymore. The rectangle is still there, but it no longer does anything if you click on it.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 7:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
(Please forgive the digression, but I think this is of interest to everyone here.)

Is it just me or has the quality of Google Street View imagery been taking a huge nosedive lately? I understand that they have started to automatically blur all faces, license plates, and even some signs on businesses, schools, and government buildings, but from what I've seen the results of this blurring process bleeds over, in some cases, into the entire FOV.
Hi TWS:

Out of curiosity I checked GSV today on my Windows 7. It seems to be OK and clear. I don't seem to be having any of the problems you are experiencing. Maybe you could reload Google Earth...that might help. All of your locations remain because they are on your hard drive in a separate file.

Always some Interweb mystery.

Doug

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 1:27 PM

Quote:

The quality of GSV images definitely varies, but I haven't seen any recent images as bad as the ones you posted, TWS. I do get the feeling that more objects are being blurred, which is annoying when it's signage or street numbers (I have no problem with faces and license plates being blurred).

Some popular locations, e.g. DTLA, seem to get almost monthly updates on GSV at the moment. I often find myself looking at historic GSV images to get a better angle or better lighting. It may simply be that one of the older images was taken from the other side of the street and gives a more panoramic view of the subject. GSV currently offers 12 views of the Plaza Church. For comparison, here are six versions of the campanile. All views were taken from roughly the same spot, and all were zoomed in by one increment. I have not modified any of the images.

GSV

The 2008 image is very blurry, and this is often the case. I usually find the oldest images are useful for confirming old businesses (e.g. the Bruin Flower Shop in one of my recent posts), but are rarely good enough to post. The images from 2009 onwards are significantly better, and for me it's just a case of picking the one that best suits my needs.

I've said this before, but the historic GSV images is the only feature I like about new Google Maps. In my opinion, pretty much everything else is a step backwards. I primarily use Firefox on Windows 7, but I got fed up with swapping over to the new Google Maps for an old GSV image and then back to the old version for usability. Then I hit upon the idea of keeping the old version for Firefox, and starting up Internet Explorer whenever I needed an older GSV image. So far this system has worked very well (if you use Chrome as your primary browser, you could use Firefox or IE as your secondary etc.). Even with the range of available images, I often tweak the levels of images I post, and sometimes perform other alterations to make the subject clearer.

Quote:

Plaza Church, through frosted glass darkly

I was just about to post my reply when I decided to check out how the view above looked on my computer. It turns out that this is the April 2009 view, which may explain why it's not as clear. There are nine newer versions to choose from, including eight from 2014. Maybe the Android app limits the available views. This is what the view above looks like for me (again, I have not tweaked this image).

GSV

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 2:26 PM

Quote:

On the northwest corner [of Wilshire and Western] are the offices of another realtor, Kells & Grant. This shot is from 1927. Notice the real car on display in the box to the left.

USC Digital Library
The postcard below seems to date from around the same time, and adds a bit of color to the scene.

eBay

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 8:07 PM

I found this by accident while looking through some photographs at LAPL.

The library doesn't have any information other than the name of the store, 'The House of Better Riding' and a date, 1929. (no street address)

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=53168

The blade sign says 'Shox S.T. Webb Radio'.

below: A closer look at the storefront.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=53169

I haven't had any luck in finding the address.

__

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 9:09 PM

When I saw "Independent Foresters" in the description of this postcard, I initially assumed it was a better view of the building at 246 South Hill Street (see post #24031 and post #24369). The caption on the postcard quickly told me I was wrong, and that it's actually the Independent Order of Foresters at 1329 South Hope Street. I found them at that address in most of the City Directories between 1938 and 1960. The back of the postcard says:

"The Independent Order if Foresters is a Legal Reserve Fraternal Beneficiary Society organized in 1874. It provides its members with legal reserve life insurance, Homes for the aged and orphaned children, and Tuberculosis and Cancer Sanatoria. The building shown is owned and operated by the Southern California jurisdiction."

eBay

The flag pole, the frame of the roof sign, and even the lamps by the entrance are all still there. The building is now the Baptist Tabernacle of Los Angeles.

GSV

This is a good example of having to go back to one of the historic GSV images when the Googlemobile was on the other side of the street. I also had to distort th image to get flag pole and roof sign in.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 9:41 PM

HossC's recent Wilshire and Western post reminded me of the Zoellner Quartet and the Zollner Conservatory of Music. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoellner_Quartet

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...ll170/id/30808

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...oll65/id/20212

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...oll65/id/20212

http://ccdl.libraries.claremont.edu/...831coll2/id/97

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2-L--label.jpg

Quote:
In 1931, while engaged in research at California Institute of Technology, he visited the Zoellner family conservatory in Los Angeles and played some of Beethoven and Mozart's works with members of the Zoellner Quartet, recently retired from two decades of acclaimed touring all across the United States; Einstein later presented the family patriarch with an autographed photograph as a memento. http://www.crystalinks.com/einstein.html
http://www.crystalinks.com/einstein-violin.jpg

As a friendy reminder, during any performance, please do not chew gum - even if IT is refreshing grape flavored Blatz and everybody is chewing it. (This means you, Clara!)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...ll170/id/30808

As the makers of Blatz Beer were detered by the Volstead Act, they gave us Blatz Chewing Gum.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f3...zAdJune005.jpg

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Ite...31258c_lg.jpeg

http://www.authentichistory.com/1921..._Gum_view1.jpg

http://immortalephemera.com//wp-cont...illie-dove.jpg

Last edited by Godzilla; Dec 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hi TWS:

Out of curiosity I checked GSV today on my Windows 7. It seems to be OK and clear. I don't seem to be having any of the problems you are experiencing. Maybe you could reload Google Earth...that might help. All of your locations remain because they are on your hard drive in a separate file.

Always some Interweb mystery.

Doug
Yeah, it really seems to be random. I took another look at the Plaza Church and environs, and it was much better this time. Perhaps after redoing the Street View photography when there are fewer people/cars that need to be blurred, Google uses some sort of algorithm to replace the unintentionally blurred content.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 11:46 PM

I recently came across this photograph showing the location of the infamous hammer slaying of 1922.

ebay

I wonder who the woman is..... Clara, the murder suspect, or Peggy, the witness?

info. on reverse

The following is an excerpt from http://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/h...me-tiger-girl/

After purchasing a 15-cent hammer from a local five-and dime, Clara Phillips, a former chorus girl and film extra, spent the afternoon in a Long Beach speakeasy with a friend,
another ex-chorine, Peggy Caffee. Clara told Peggy she had recently heard a rumor that her husband, Armour, was having an affair with an attractive widow, Alberta Meadows.
By the end of the day, Clara had formulated a plan to eliminate her rival.

Fabricating a story of needing a lift, Clara and Peggy caught a ride with the unsuspecting Alberta. On a secluded stretch of Montecito Drive, Clara asked Alberta to pull over for a private conversation; she then brought down the 15-cent hammer on Alberta's head and battered her until the weapon broke. For the coup-de-grace Clara rolled a 50-lb. boulder onto her victim's chest. Peggy witnessed the horrific murder from the car.

below: Here's poor Alberta Meadows (note the boulder beside her)

[Courtesy of UCLA] http://digital2.library.ucla.edu/#images

...and here's Clara, shortly after her arrest. (I first posted this mug-shot back in Sept. of 2012)

ebay

On Dec. 5, 1922, she escaped from Los Angeles County Jail.
She was eventually found in Honduras....extradited....and sent to San Quentin for 13 years.
__

I've often wondered where on Montecito Drive the murder took place.
Despite being in close proximity to downtown L.A., the drive still has it's 'lonely' spots and 'noirish' views.

GSV

GSV

GSV

GSV

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 12:31 AM

Capri Café, 1137 So. Western Ave.

ebay

below: I believe the Capri Cafe cottage still stands. (even though GSV placed 1137 more on the corner)

There are some differences.
__

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
The Independent Order of Foresters.

The flag pole, the frame of the roof sign, and even the lamps by the entrance are all still there. The building is now the Baptist Tabernacle of Los Angeles.

GSV
What a fun discovery HossC! Good job.
__

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 2:04 AM

Oriental Hotel and Frank's Cafe

I think we've seen the Oriental Hotel on this thread before, but only from a distance. Here is a much clearer view - close enough to see Frank's Cafe. I don't have a date on this but the photograph was by by Arnold Hylen.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Head to Head......

Looks like Walgreens is going head to head in 2014 with Rite Aid on 5th Street, Los Angeles. They've taken over most of the street floor of my step-dad's old office building...Chester Williams, built in 1927. His office suite was the top floor at the left side in the photo below. He had offices in this building from 1941 till 1961.

GSV

Below is what it looked like in 2009.

Eric Richardson

This is a current photo but this is how the entrance to his office appeared.

Chester Williams Building

The new drugstore is certainly a big improvement over what previously occupied the ground floor. It was a conglomeration of several nondescript yet colorful stores, a restaurant and ugly signage using lettered bed sheets..

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Dec 29, 2014 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 8:47 PM

A "screen grid" is a type of tetrode tube. The Atwater Kent Screen Grid Cabinet Radio came out in 1929 so the signage in this picture suggests strongly that it was taken around that time.

ETA: I think the other sign about the "All-Electric Radio" must refer to the earliest set you could plug into the wall. Evidently earlier radios ran on batteries only, and Philco's first big success in the radio business, the Battery Eliminator, came in 1925. This was a few years before the company began making radios themselves. The image in the article sheds some light on another one of those little mysteries you probably never thought about, but now that I mention it...namely, whatever happened to "B" batteries, and what were they used for?

However, I have failed to find this business in any of the L.A. directories from this period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

The library doesn't have any information other than the name of the store, 'The House of Better Riding' and a date, 1929. (no street address)

below: A closer look at the storefront.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=53169

__

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Dec 30, 2014 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
A "screen grid" is a type of tetrode tube. The Atwater Kent Screen Grid Cabinet Radio came out in 1929 so the signage in this picture suggests strongly that it was taken around that time.

However, I have failed to find this business in any of the L.A. directories from this period.
Here is the ''Screen Grid'' radio of 1929 all done up in a lovely wood cabinet. Its probably better than the old superheterodyne.

Atwaterkendradio.com

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:48 PM

Hey! We used to have a place like this in L.A., called The Brown Homburg, or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Tyler Texas. Reportedly opened 1935 and closed 1953
http://www.tylertexasonline.com/imag...yler-texas.jpg

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 3:13 PM

Here's the La Brea Motel at 1830 S La Brea Avenue. The reverse (below) describes it as "A modern motel with luxurious comforts. Apartments with kitchens. Centrally located to the beaches, to Hollywood and downtown." The hand-written portion includes the date 1953.

eBay

The frontage has lost some windows, but, as far as I can tell, the Starlight Inn is the same building.

Google Maps

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

__
"House of Better Riding"? Sounds like they will teach you how to trot like a pro.

But this was an auto accessory store (hence the spot lights, shock absorbers etc.) at 1740 N. Highland Avenue:

LAPL-1929 LACD

If you look at the left edge of e_r's post, you can see that there is a cleaning establishment just visible next door. The 1929 CD has a listing for "Napoleon Cleaners and Dyers Inc - 6318 Compton av br 1742 N Highland av" so I think the location is confirmed.

Today there is a six-story apartment/retail complex occupying the SE corner of Yucca and Highland. I like the old structure better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos