HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #581  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 5:44 PM
hat hat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 381
Like to see something here. It used to be Pooja, an Indian (I believe) bodega. Why this remains undeveloped, I don't know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #582  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 6:11 PM
PDXDENSITY PDXDENSITY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Like to see something here. It used to be Pooja, an Indian (I believe) bodega. Why this remains undeveloped, I don't know.
Oh, wow, hat. Agreed! That should have a good apartment structure given the location!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #583  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:34 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Seattle developer, in stepping up Portland activity, breaks ground in NoPo



North Portland's latest mixed-use project got underway this week when ground broke for Security Properties' four-building project at North Williams Avenue and North Mason Street.

The Seattle developer will build four buildings, three with ground-floor office and retail space, totaling more than 352,400 square feet. The retail and office space will offer just over 26,100 square feet of space. Plans call for 268 apartments on the upper levels.

The new development will also include a central woonerf — a pedestrian alley of sorts — and ample bike parking.
...continues at Portland Business Journal.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #584  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:06 PM
PDXDENSITY PDXDENSITY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Not terribly inspiring, but good infill! Ah... it's kinda overwhelming, everything being built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #585  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:24 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Like to see something here. It used to be Pooja, an Indian (I believe) bodega. Why this remains undeveloped, I don't know.
It's your lucky day. Building permit under review for this site:

Quote:
NEW CONSTRUCTION OF 25-UNIT APARTMENT BUILDING WITH PARTIAL GROUND FLOOR RETAIL; INTERIOR BIKE PARKING; NO ONSITE PARKING
Architects are COLAB.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #586  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:43 PM
hat hat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 381
Good news. Mac, I don't know the permit process at all. Intake is sort of the big first step? Is it possible to give an ETA on the apts on Interstate/Sumner? Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #587  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:53 PM
hat hat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 381
I'd like to wave my magic guesser here. The Overlook and/or Harbor Freight parking lots. Please use your mojo on this Mac.

Link should work now. (Parking lot of overlook restaurant and Harbor freight)

Last edited by hat; Nov 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #588  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 5:50 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Good news. Mac, I don't know the permit process at all. Intake is sort of the big first step? Is it possible to give an ETA on the apts on Interstate/Sumner? Thanks for the info.
Those are two different questions, and I'll answer the second one first. The Interstate / Sumner project just received approval for its Design Review. They haven't yet submitted for a building permit. Building permits require much more detailed and technical drawings, and so the architect may not have them ready to submit yet. Once they submit the drawings, they can expect at least a month of plan review, and most likely more than that. Which leads me to your first question.

On portlandmaps you'll see various statuses listed for building permits. Common ones include:
  • Intake: Drawings have been taken to the Bureau of Development Services, and a permit number set up. No one has reviewed the drawings in any detail yet.
  • Under Review: Plans Examiners are reviewing the drawings for compliance with the various applicable codes
  • Approved to Issue: All the reviews have been completed and approved, but the applicant has not yet picked up the drawings and paid the remaining permit fees.
  • Issued: The applicant has picked up the drawings, paid the fees, and work is allowed to begin on site. However, work either hasn't begun, or no inspections have been called yet.
  • Under Inspection: At least one on-site inspection has been called for.
  • Final Inspection Approved: All required inspections have been called for and approved, and the permit is now closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I'd like to wave my magic guesser here. The Overlook and/or Harbor Freight parking lots. Please use your mojo on this Mac.
Unfortunately your link isn't working.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #589  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 12:28 AM
philopdx philopdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep South
Posts: 1,275
Williams Street Developments

Cook St "Red Balloon" apartments:



One North:




The Mason Williams:




The Wilmore:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #590  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 12:33 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,109
philopdx: I always love your photo updates.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #591  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 3:43 AM
65MAX's Avatar
65MAX 65MAX is offline
Karma Police
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: People's Republic of Portland
Posts: 2,138
There's a large crane up on Swan Island. I assume that's for the new Daimler HQ building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #592  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 2:25 AM
davehogan davehogan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
There's a large crane up on Swan Island. I assume that's for the new Daimler HQ building?
I had heard it's about to get started from a friend who pours concrete, so I'd assume that's it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #593  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 7:39 PM
PDXDENSITY PDXDENSITY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland
Posts: 619
I'm excited about the new Daimler building, but has anyone seen how much parking the design includes?! It's like being near the yellow line doesn't even matter to these big corps. I wish they were more focused on utilizing the space, or even remediating some and providing worker housing... not endless parking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #594  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 8:26 PM
2oh1's Avatar
2oh1 2oh1 is offline
9-7-2oh1-!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: downtown Portland
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
I'm excited about the new Daimler building, but has anyone seen how much parking the design includes?! It's like being near the yellow line doesn't even matter to these big corps.
I think the same thing every time I take the MAX to Ikea. I understand the need for parking, but mass transit shouldn't be an afterthought - especially not in Portland.

Corporations seem to view locations as assets rather than as places. It's a dot on a map rather than a unique opportunity, and that's a shame.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #595  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 8:31 PM
PDXDENSITY PDXDENSITY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I think the same thing every time I take the MAX to Ikea. I understand the need for parking, but mass transit shouldn't be an afterthought - especially not in Portland.

Corporations seem to view locations as assets rather than as places. It's a dot on a map rather than a unique opportunity, and that's a shame.
Exactly! Which is why I think we should have regulations in Metro prohibiting these seas of parking. It's contra to the city's big vision, something supported by a majority of Portlanders. I'm tired of the argument being for the sake of enterprise; these places could survive with simply better design and integrating transit into the mix.

Don't get me started with Cascade Station... Blah.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #596  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:25 PM
eric cantona's Avatar
eric cantona eric cantona is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Exactly! Which is why I think we should have regulations in Metro prohibiting these seas of parking. It's contra to the city's big vision, something supported by a majority of Portlanders. I'm tired of the argument being for the sake of enterprise; these places could survive with simply better design and integrating transit into the mix.

Don't get me started with Cascade Station... Blah.
Metro has limited ability to dictate specific code requirements to the local jurisdictions. they do, however, have a role in setting policy direction. check out the draft Climate Smart Strategy:

http://www.oregonmetro.gov/sites/default...mateSmartStrategy-20141203-MTAC-TPAC.pdf

the document is Metro's strategy for reducing greenhouse per state requirements. there's a lot of interesting information in there. the parking portion is on page 25.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #597  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:33 PM
PDXDENSITY PDXDENSITY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Metro has limited ability to dictate specific code requirements to the local jurisdictions. they do, however, have a role in setting policy direction. check out the draft Climate Smart Strategy:

http://www.oregonmetro.gov/sites/default...mateSmartStrategy-20141203-MTAC-TPAC.pdf

the document is Metro's strategy for reducing greenhouse per state requirements. there's a lot of interesting information in there. the parking portion is on page 25.
I wish there could be more leverage on Metro's side to manage the overabundance of parking. There really are still areas that are blighted by it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #598  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 12:00 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,109
Re: parking at Daimler - the HQ project does include a parking structure, which you can see on the site plan.



In this case, I do think it's reasonable. Swan Island is a 25 minute walk from the MAX Yellow Line, and only has limited bus service. Despite recent improvements, it's not the easiest location to walk or cycle to.
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #599  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 12:09 AM
PDXDENSITY PDXDENSITY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Re: parking at Daimler - the HQ project does include a parking structure, which you can see on the site plan.



In this case, I do think it's reasonable. Swan Island is a 25 minute walk from the MAX Yellow Line, and only has limited bus service. Despite recent improvements, it's not the easiest location to walk or cycle to.
Maybe if the area gets more developed we can improve a bus connector to the site. I still think there were other possibilities to the sea of parking, but I get the constraints of the site. Still makes me recoil.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #600  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 11:36 PM
RainDog's Avatar
RainDog RainDog is offline
Semi-Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PDX
Posts: 277
Walking down Killingsworth today I noticed that the lot at the corner of 17th and Killingsworth is fenced off. Anyone know what's going on there?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.