Ugh. From most perspectives, Toronto's cityscape & skyline of that era was that of a typical mid-sized North American industrial city. Not too big, a little grimy, some parking lots in between the old towers and the odd modernist edifice sprouting up. But from the waterfront - it was just downright nasty, as if a chunk of industrial Scarborough was transplanted downtown.
Some keep thinking that downtown's glory days were during the construction booms of the 50-70's, when clearly until very recently downtown Montreal was an embarrassing fragmented cityscape. Can you imagine being a tourist and walking the streets of this city, imagine standing at the corner of McGill College and Maisonneuve... Looks like Baltimore, or post-war Belgrade.
I love the cars driving on the left hand side of the road in St. John's.
Winnipeg the great can be seen in these photos above, It was likely the most modern city in Canada at that time. Kinda like how Calgary is that city of today!
Wow, what an awesome old pic of Van. I think Van has more character than many people on this forum realize. The best part is that many of the prominent buildings seen in the picture are still standing.
Wow, what an awesome old pic of Van. I think Van has more character than many people on this forum realize. The best part is that many of the prominent buildings seen in the picture are still standing.
Amazing isn't it. That looks to be somewhere around Science World, I believe. I wish I could go back there for a day.