Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki
I don't think elevated skytrain would suit the Millennium Line very well. Along Lougheed/Broadway it's very low density, and elevated rail would be a bit of an eyesore, not to mention running through Burnaby Lake park. I think elevated skytrain is more suited to medium to high density areas. It adds to the big city vibe.
|
I'm assuming this is just a really sarcastic redub of my post comparing what I said to what people said about the millennium line?
Even before the skytrain went in, that area was more dense than the West Point Grey area. It's also arguably in a better, more central location within Metro Vancouver, so it's more likely that it will continue to densify in the future.
Being realistic, most neighbourhoods with larger lots, and expensive, somewhat older (heritage) homes along smaller streets are not as likely densify as lower priced neighbourhoods running along arterial roads.
If it weren't for UBC being there, I doubt there'd be any discussion of running skytrain that far into the west side of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12
Off topic, but please elaborate on the benefits to us here in Metro Vancouver of the KM pipeline expansion.
If it gets built or doesn't, nothing will change. Of course the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Complain here and they will build it somewhere else. That's a win for us.
|
There aren't really too many significant advantages to Vancouver apart from temporary construction jobs and then a small number of permanent jobs once it opens.
However, the idea that it's a win for us if they build it somewhere else isn't necessarily true. I'd rather see the KM pipeline expanded than the Northern Gateway project go forward. If KM is snuffed, it WILL put more pressure on the NG project.
When it comes to oil tanker traffic, I think it's a better approach to increase the traffic where it is already, rather than bring traffic to new, pristine areas. Vancouver harbour already isn't exactly the cleanest water, so a spill here would be slightly detrimental than it would be up in the sparkling clean waters off the coast of Prince Rupert. Not only that, but the response time for a spill would be much faster in Vancouver. The waters off Vancouver are much more calm in the winter, so a spill is probably less likely in the first place.
In isolation, I'd probably be against the KM expansion, but looking at the alternative (NG) I think it's the lesser of two evils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen
Agreed. An elevated line going up the 10th avenue hill would be a real "slash" on the cityscape there ... (despite the great view it would give).
I think it could come up to suface once past Blanca.
|
That's where I figure it should come up as well. Would be very neat riding elevated transit through relatively untouched forest in a larger city, and would make for some neat views where there are gaps in the trees. Not sure how many other cities have anything comparable.