HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1901  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 PM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Simcoe County, ON
Posts: 6,506
Great project, very modern looking. It's a shame it's so short though.
     
     
  #1902  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:14 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Jesus lol.....
     
     
  #1903  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:35 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Don't blame the images, blame the user's device.
Haha, indeed. I had no problem loading the page with my non-iPhone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Great project, very modern looking. It's a shame it's so short though.
LOL. Spoken like a true Torontonian. Only height matters, nevermind the design or public space.

This building is nothing but short in the Vancouver cityscape and will have a perfect scale for the surrounding area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Having been to all major Canadian cities over the past few years except TO(decade ago), Van has the best public realm in the country by a wide margin.
Totally agree. Downtown Vancouver towers integrate some great landscaping, public space and street art. I haven't seen anything similar in other Canadian cities.
     
     
  #1904  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:48 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Great project, very modern looking. It's a shame it's so short though.
Honestly, outside of One Bloor, I'd take this project over any taller project we have here in Toronto.
     
     
  #1905  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:53 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Telus Sky and Vancouver House certainly share a lot and are almost the same building with the twist just being other way around.
I think it is quite intentional and Westbank is looking to mirror it's projects in Calgary and Vancouver. I don't know which design I like more, only concern I have is that the Calgary project is rental, so there might be pressure to scale back the materials used vs. the exceptionally high end condos that are going into Vancouver house. That said Westbank is a quality developer so I have faith they will make both projects look spectacular.


Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Looking at this again I wonder if the building on the right takes into account freezing rain. If not I could see some dangerous ice sheets forming and causing an effect similar to the Port Mann bridge's ice torpedoes.
I don't think I've ever seen freezing rain in Vancouver, does it ever happen out there? The slush was a big issue on the port mann, but I think that's because it was free falling hundreds of feet from guide wires, sliding off a 3 storey building I don't think would have the same effect
     
     
  #1906  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:56 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,144
^nothing a little heat tracing cant fix if they deem it to be a potential issue.
     
     
  #1907  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I think it is quite intentional and Westbank is looking to mirror it's projects in Calgary and Vancouver. I don't know which design I like more, only concern I have is that the Calgary project is rental, so there might be pressure to scale back the materials used vs. the exceptionally high end condos that are going into Vancouver house. That said Westbank is a quality developer so I have faith they will make both projects look spectacular.


I'm not worried about the rentals making them scale back materials on Telus Sky. I can see many companies renting these suites for out of towners etc.
     
     
  #1908  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:59 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Not sure how common such perks/amenities are in other cities:

"Vancouver House will have a fleet of BMW vehicles available for reserve through the Concierge, including the latest i3 and i8 models."

In Trump Vancouver:

"From the first-ever private jet hours in any Vancouver residential offering, to a chauffeured Rolls-Royce with custom Trump details, travelling in supreme style and comfort is just one of the many benefits of ownership at Trump International Hotel & Tower® Vancouver."
     
     
  #1909  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I'm not worried about the rentals making them scale back materials on Telus Sky. I can see many companies renting these suites for out of towners etc.
Will Telus employees in Calgary have some discount to buy/rent from Telus Sky? In Vancouver's Telus Garden this was the case and I understood quite many took use of it.
     
     
  #1910  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 1:08 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Honestly, outside of One Bloor, I'd take this project over any taller project we have here in Toronto.
I just don't get it. The design reflects its height. Slapping on some extra storeys would ruin the design.

Every city has forumers that obsess over height. The public realm is always a hot topic at urbantoronto. Toronto is a different beast. The landscaped grounds and fountains surrounding many developments in Vancouver simply wouldn't work here. I recall public art contributions and community benefits being part of the package in Toronto long before Vancouver. It was also noticeable in the early 2000s.
     
     
  #1911  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 2:00 AM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Simcoe County, ON
Posts: 6,506
So for Vancouver house, why on their website do they have the penthouse as Floor 58 when I only count 46 floors in the renders? Are they really skipping that many floors? I love the podium on this project though, totally unique and very impressive. One of the best in the country. I'm sure it will fit in very well to Vancouver's skyline. Did not mean to upset anyone when I said it was short. I will say I am slightly biased to taller buildings, but that doesn't mean I'm blind. This one is gorgeous and I would gladly take it (even at this height) in Toronto.
     
     
  #1912  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,901
"the southwood"


     
     
  #1913  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 2:56 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Lol @ the guy pulling his dog along in the rendering!
     
     
  #1914  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 3:23 AM
Infrequent Poster Infrequent Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
So for Vancouver house, why on their website do they have the penthouse as Floor 58 when I only count 46 floors in the renders? Are they really skipping that many floors? I love the podium on this project though, totally unique and very impressive. One of the best in the country. I'm sure it will fit in very well to Vancouver's skyline. Did not mean to upset anyone when I said it was short. I will say I am slightly biased to taller buildings, but that doesn't mean I'm blind. This one is gorgeous and I would gladly take it (even at this height) in Toronto.
I think you need to work on your counting skills....I count 52 real floors in the picture on the left.



Take out floor(s) 4,13,14,24,34,44 and you get the 58 floors mentioned on the website. Vancouver seems to never label anything with the number 4 in it, but they just take out the floor and then list the total floors as higher then it actually is. Its pretty stupid if you ask me.......
     
     
  #1915  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 3:52 AM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
Take out floor(s) 4,13,14,24,34,44 and you get the 58 floors mentioned on the website. Vancouver seems to never label anything with the number 4 in it, but they just take out the floor and then list the total floors as higher then it actually is. Its pretty stupid if you ask me.......
Chinese superstition; 4 is a very unlucky number (sounds like "death"). Might seem stupid to some, but when you're in and marketing to a demographic that is well represented by those of Asian heritage, it's a very small sacrifice to make to ensure you aren't cutting a whole swath of them out of your pool of potential buyers and investors.
     
     
  #1916  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 3:57 AM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
Chinese superstition; 4 is a very unlucky number (sounds like "death"). Might seem stupid to some, but when you're in and marketing to a demographic that is well represented by those of Asian heritage, it's a very small sacrifice to make to ensure you aren't cutting a whole swath of them out of your pool of potential buyers and investors.
Plus skipping the 13 in a wonderful display of Western superstition. We just need to find a culture that dislikes 12 or 15 to get a triple skip.
     
     
  #1917  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:14 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is online now
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,755
I think the whole thing is ridiculous if you ask me. Intelligent people shouldn't care about some silly superstition. Anyway, if you're living on the 5th or 14th floor, it's still the 4th or 13th, so really what's the point?
     
     
  #1918  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:24 AM
Infrequent Poster Infrequent Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
Chinese superstition; 4 is a very unlucky number (sounds like "death"). Might seem stupid to some, but when you're in and marketing to a demographic that is well represented by those of Asian heritage, it's a very small sacrifice to make to ensure you aren't cutting a whole swath of them out of your pool of potential buyers and investors.
I understand why they (developers) do it, and still find it stupid. Just like superstition thats stupid too. In my opinion. Start at the bottom of the building that is floor one, continue numerically upwards until you reach the top (skipping no floors, including 13) this is the only way that makes sense to me.

What happens in a Chinese math class? Do they omit all problems or solutions that have the number 4 in it? Do people just skip their 40's, go straight from being 39 to 50 years old? HOW FAR DOES THE INSANITY GO!!!!! (mock outrage)
     
     
  #1919  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 6:23 AM
TallBob TallBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,135
There are forumers that Obsess over height? Imagine that.... LOL!
     
     
  #1920  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 6:53 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,029
This tower will be 152 meters tall, so it is no slouch.

How it integrates with the bridge and ramps is amazing. This is the big layered city feel I love.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.